UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

evilgrins Maps & Skins Megathread

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: evilgrins Maps & Skins Megathread

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021, 12:47

Nitwit Skin
I made this skin a long time ago, and only changed the talk texture a little before setting it up to share with whomever this morning. It's a combination of 3 other skins with slight editing and originally I intended it for use in MonsterHunt primarily.

The short story is I knew this truly annoying person online who used various personas to antagonize others, so I assigned this skin to bots that I named after those personas. Kinda cathartic really, as those bots were setup to fail. Along with naming them as I did, I also took all skill setting for those bots and reduced them to 0, switched all their combat skills to Avoidant, and finally made them not at all jumpy. The result being bots who could shoot at you with a minigun, standing right next to you, and probably not hitting you.

As stated, I used 3 other skins to build this. The bulk of the skin is from the Orch, which had darker green skin. Because of the settings I gave this it's mostly cowardly, which is why I switched the skin tint to a more urine-yellow. The armor on the arms is from the Medieval Knight skin, and the jeans are from the Biker skins.

The reason I intended it for MonsterHunt is it largely only has team colors on one leg...
...which are still visible to anyone who isn't standing on the opposite side of the bot wearing that skin. In MonsterHunt everyone's pretty much on the same team, so the team color is less an issue. Though I can see it okay in any gametype, I figured if I ever shared this skin other players might have an issue with the limited team color visibility.

Also for MonsterHunt due to that old zombie apocalypse joke, that the best friends to have during such a thing are ones that can't run as fast as you. With those setting the Nitwits move slower than most and largely stay as far away from battle as possible, which is handy in MH as monsters go for them and you can shoot the monsters while they're distracted.

For my own use, I assigned this skin the dk2troll voice... so I'm including that voicepack in the .zip, which, by the way, I didn't make that voice.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nax1qru89fzkcju/NitwitSkin.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021, 07:44

Burger Wars for CTF
In some UT facebook group (forget which, this was before the pandemic) they were discussing the Burger Wars map for ut2004 and I got a request to edit the one for ut99 with UTDM-monsters, so I went looking and discovered ZenCoder made 4 different versions of it...
...and as there are 3 different types of UTDM-monsters, I decided to do 1 kind for each and possibly 1 with all of them.

· Most of the maps the flags are in the restaurants, except for 1.
· 2 of the maps are huge, 1 is medim sized, and 1 is fairly small.

Along with those, I added ut2k4 cannons to 2 of them and updated the textures (these maps were all made in 2000 & 2001) plus did a little research into the mascots of both franchises, both for naming the UTDM-monsters and for the windows. See, ZenCoder used the same texture for all the windows but some of the windows are ½ as wide, so (much like the restaurants had when I was a kid) I figured to put images of the mascots in those thinner windows.

Changed the music too.

Nelsona updated the pathing on each map.

I made the UTDM-monsters as fat as I could for 3 of the maps, and only slightly less fat on 1. Because of all the fast food, though that last one has a lot more activity on it so I figured they were getting more exercise there!

CTF-UTDMS-BurgerWars
This is a medium sized map, bases are not exactly symmetrical. You can run across the distance between or access the other side via an underground tunnel. Bases are guarded by SkaarjBerserkers.

CTF-UTDMT-BurgerWars
This is a large map and the bases are not at all symmetrical. This is the one where the flags are not in the restaurants but in 2 bases high above ground level. ZenCoder originally had Quantum Jets on the map but I replaced them with redeemers for SLV players, although that's still tricky.

SLV can take the flag from the Blue Base but I don't care how good a pilot anyone is, there's no chance in Hell they can fly safely into the Red Base. It's far too narrow in there.

Near to where the flags are there's really fat Titans.

ZenCoder put a bot directly onto the map, an Unreal1 model skinned like Ronald McDonald... and it's on the Red Team. To even up any teams that play, I did the same for the Blue Team...
...got permission from paperCoffee to use his Chef of Hell skin.

There was 1 thing on this map I couldn't figure out how to fix (probably really simple) but it's hard to see unless you know where to look, figured that wasn't such a big deal.

CTF-UTDMW-Cannons-BurgerWars
This is a large map with more or less symmetrical bases. Each base is guarded by a ut2k4 cannon just outside the restaurant, and there's a really overweight Warlord pacing back and forth not too far away.

CTF-UTDM-Cannons-BurgerWars
This is a fairly small map with symmetrical bases, which for some bizarre reason I decided to put all UTDM-monsters on. Each base has a SkaarjBerserker inside it, there's a Titan guarding one and a Warlord guarding the other. Just inside the door there's a ut2k4 cannon situated to shoot at anyone not on that base's team that passes near a line-of-sight of that door.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/edey4rbsdvihnfe/BurgerWarsCTF.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021, 21:16

CTF-UTDM-RamShot
This is a nice sized fortress with symmetrical bases and an insane number of jump pads...
...allowing for multiple ways into each base as well as lots of levels of combat.

Snipers will love this map...
...once they work out how to get up where the sniper rifles are.

Initially I had 4 UTDMT, 2 to a team, on the map but I decided to change that up. When GorGor made them originally I don't think he took into consideration how easy it is to telefrag them, and I suspect that's why the later versions had an interesting feature built into them...
...preventing any UTDM-monsters on a map from being telefragged.

Swapped out 2 of the Titans with UTDMS, SkaarjBerserkers.

Titans respawn after 30 seconds.
Skaarj respawn after 10 seconds.

I also added some power-ups which weren't there originally, placed where the Redeemer is. If you can get there, you should get all the prizes!

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kmrt8ugptkxvt9t/CTF-UTDM-RamShot.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021, 07:30

Clan Stark
This is an edit of the Iron Man skin provided by Chris Ollis.

I opted to remove the helmet and reduce it to simply a face mask, and try though I might I couldn't quite get the hands to match the yellow on the rest of the armor... but it still looks better than red hands.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9afi322wrrmnpnf/Soldier_Stark.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 06:26

Bizarro Aquaman
This is the 3rd Bizarro skin I've released, as with most I employed imperfect team colors...
...that are limited to 1 part of the skin:

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/j3x7792hzzs66dq/Soldier_Aquz.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021, 12:20

CTF-UTDMT-Fortress[X]
Original Mapper: Deviate
Edit by: EvilGrins
Pathing by: Nelsona
Skybox by: ANUBITEK

What we have here is a fairly large map with a lot of open space.
Which I figured was ideal for Titans and possibly SLV/RX.

There were no weapons or health or powerups anywhere on the map, so I added stuff. I briefly debated adding ZenCoder style bots directly onto the map, was thinking Male Soldiers about 75% their normal size and made fat to simulate dwarfs, but I passed.

Original skybox was horrible and the map had no pathing, so those needed fixing BADLY.

Action is fairly intense due to the openness of the map but that's also ideal for snipers in key spots "upstairs".
Each base has several mortars which fire at random intervals, and regardless which side they're on they will hurt anybody they hit on either team.

Ideally, they say the best CTF maps have more than 1 way to reach the flag. This has several:
· You can run straight across.
· There are ramps to either side you can use.
· In each tower to the left & right of the flag there's awkward stairs (have to jump up each stair) that allow roof access.
· Behind the flag there's an underground river that runs the length.

Overall this is a very fun map, though different systems experience it differently at certain points.
· There's a lift in the center tower that never worked for me but others who tested the original map said it did work, though not very well.
· Map has a lot of open flying space but others who tested it didn't have the same issue I did... but I'm not really a flyer so that's okay.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/itrxubvcf26adp9/CTF-UTDMT-FortressX.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 12:12

Monsters which are not normally much of a threat becomes so when in GREATER NUMBERS!

These are 3 of the variant maps I made from MH-Brutes][... which was made by HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED.

You know who that is.

Initially used his map to test new monsters I found on, but when I stopped finding new ones I started playing around with some of the old ones.

These are 3 maps, each with a different classic Unreal1 beastie on it.

Mantas:
Flies:
Gasbags:

Probably shouldn't play these by yourself, have at least a bot or 2 to take some of the pressure off you, but your choice.

Usual Suspects:
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vvh8odk6isdjg4p/MH-3mapsOf3species.zip

...and, if there's interest, these are the other ones:
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/tag/mh-brutes-variants

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021, 21:06

One of the superhero base skins I've used to edit into numerous other skins, created by Chris Ollis who says he's not entirely sure if he was going for Iceman or Silver Surfer; he figured whoever used it could call it whatever they liked. Like all the superhero skins he made it had no team colors, so I gave it the full spread.
Very basic skinning, much like the Mush Man skin, only the areas that allow for team colors on the Male Soldier model were altered with tint edits.

It kinda looks like the Micronauts toys I played with when I was a kid; I am very old.

Realistically, this skin has been done for years... I recently fixed something on it that was an issue with the face and talk texture, but otherwise I could've set this up for downloads ages ago.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rafobgckooye8zx/SoldierSkins_Casper.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 05:06

Skinning the Steg model
What we have here is a model made by Roger McManus, who made a lot of interesting models which seemed very much like cartoon characters or sports team mascots...
...although, more demented types might think this one looks like a dinosaur sex doll.

So far as it goes, nothing about the model needed fixing... but the default skin wasn't setup correctly.

The .int file looks right minus 2 significant issues:
It lists "steg" for every part of the model, which confuses the setup... plus he didn't really need to put a name on each part of the skin, mostly only needed for the 1st part and the face selection.

If the skin had multiple faces, sure but it didn't. Although the naming of the face can be beneficial for the Talk Texture sometimes.

The other problem is the .utx file:
Not all of what is listed in the .int is in the .utx, which is problematic on so many levels.

The weird thing is though... the default skin works. It shouldn't work, if you did this for nearly any other model it wouldn't work, and yet...

Regardless, I made 6 extra skins for it.

I basically took default textures outta UT, bunch of random stuff, and mixed & matched; all with team colors... usually the overall skin but on one I only team colored the back & tail spines along with the claws & talons plus the belly.

Screenshots of individual skins in the .zip, and before anyone asks... with 1 or 2 rare exceptions, anybody can skin most any model or monster if they know what they're doing.

You'll need Advanced Model Support to run this.

Potential Issue: I use these models on bots, but when I choose them for myself the Team Colors work but not completely. Eyes, belly, spines, claws, & talons get a little wonky. So, these skins work better on bots than human players.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/p0bz89kyyg61hgl/steg.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021, 13:49

CTFM-UTDMT-5Cubes_Crokx7
Fairly standard and not particularly large CTF4 map, Titans might've been a bit overkill but at the time I initially edited this I didn't know about other UTDM-monsters and I don't always feel a need to go back and swap the smaller monsters now that I have them.
There are 4 bases around a raised central area, full range of weapons, and of course the UTDMT... who don't really care about the flags.
I'd be lying if I said they don't periodically get the flags, though. My preferred settings for CTF4 are for dropped flags to be brought back by players to their own base, and sometimes that's complicated if a Titan grabs the flags, as it's like playing fetch with a really big dog that doesn't want to give the tennis ball up so easily...

...I grew up with rottweilers. Great dogs, but they will wrestle you when you try to get the tennis ball back.
Combat is intense and tricky with the Titans, but makes for very fun play.

If you don't have any of the CTF4 gametypes...
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/169182.html
...you can get them there.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/izif9xs17mv8d1x/CTFM-UTDMT-5CubesCrokx7.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021, 07:34

5 CTF4 edits
You can download them there · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/2021/11/03/

Preview shots:
Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022, 10:03

LAPD Elite
This is one of the earlier skins that came out, back in ye good olde days when UT first started up... and like most of the old ones it had no team colors.
I went for simplified placement, given the nature of a police uniform basically to the armored vest and gauntlets.
Originally toyed with maybe changing the "L.A.P.D." with "U.T.P.D." but my skills weren't up to it back when; this is an edit I did a <b>LONG</b> time ago.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ixyg99pm4qcp1xj/SoldierSkins_LAPD.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022, 11:30

CTF-UTDMT-BoS-Cannons-DesertCombat
Fairly standard CTF map.

2 symmetrical bases over a largely open area... snipers will enjoy this place as there's not much of anything to duck behind between bases, although the holes do provide a measure of protection.
Pathing on the map was originally a straight line between the flags, with not much variance. Nelsona fixed that up nicely, so bots now use the whole area.

...and, of course, the Titans.

I added the Blank.umx so there's really only battle sounds on the map. Added ut2k4 cannons to each tower, and placed a measure of team coloring to each side.
Plus I fixed the signs on the bases, they were originally inside bases where they couldn't be seen.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9ti4swztlxemg7u/CTF-UTDMT-BoS-Cannons-DesertCombat.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022, 21:36

CTF-UTDM-Aztec
I was going over a number of maps with mostly identical names, when I found this beauty. It's massive, built within what looks to be an ancient temple or city, with flag bases that are not remotely symmetrical. Plus it looked like it had extra play space potential beyond just what was in the CTF vein... but not so much.
· What looks to be a way to get up on the roof doesn't work as everything up there is a massive killzone.
· There's a faming settlement over near the Red Base, which wasn't populated until I populated it. Was tempted to get it pathed so it looked active to anyone that peeked in on it, but ultimately didn't see the point.
· On the Blue Side, outside the player area, there's an art gallery. Mapper set it up to post a portait of his girlfriend... so I setup security for that as well as art thieves.
· Just for the heck of it, I placed 1 UTDMT on the map to even up the other 2 teams... though he doesn't do much of anything unless provoked, and he's fairly isolated.
I started editing before I got permission, which isn't unusual. As so many mappers are impossible to reach these days, I go through the motions of getting permission and get started on the work because there's no way to tell when or even if the mapper will check their email... even if they're still using the same email addy from years ago. But in this instance, I lucked out, as he got back to me remarkably quick. Gave his blessing, and asked I send him a link when it was done.
Going to have to track down his email again.

In the main player area, I assigned 1 UTDMS to each team; named them after the mapper and his girlfriend. Had Nelsona update the pathing, there already was some there but it needed help. Touched up a few other things here and there too.

Players that like to play with lots of others should love this map, there's plenty of space and places to get lost in as well... plus a few other surprises.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ily6c6u1j3z94yk/CTF-UTDM-Aztec.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022, 08:01

CTF-XV-UTDMT-AppalachianWonderland
Vehicles in any game are fun, just for driving which is always fun as well as new ways to blow things, and people, up.
For those that don't know the history here (as I'll be posting this various places) FeraliDragon, the mad genius who created Nali Weapons 1 & 2 & 3, created tanks and jeeps that can be used in UT. Very fun with only the one slight problem that they wouldn't work online; not a huge problem for me as I don't play online that often.

But then, Buggie fixed them and now they do work online... plus he added helicopters!
So I've been skimming maps I've got that had the room for this kinda play.

What we have here is a MASSIVE map with small properties sparsely here and there. Original map only had sniper rifles, and was designed for both CTF & DOM gametypes; though it was only released for CTF.

I added rocket launchers & miniguns, there's a redeemer at each base in the barns, plus I added health which wasn't there.

From Xvehicles I added to each team 2 of the smaller tanks and 1 jeep. The FixGun (handy to repair damage) is in a shed near the center of the map.

Now, despite the obvious size issue... I did discover one truly odd thing:
I gave each team a UTDMT, basically I updated an old map that already had Team-Titans on it with vehicles, but I wasn't expecting the Titans to be able to get into the vehicles... but they can. Which isn't so bad, per se, but it is a little weird to watch the vehicles start hurling boulders.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ltidvc1czvxrtp/CTF-XV-UTDMT-AppalachianWonderland.zip

You can get Xvehicles here · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14936 · which you need to make this work!

Previous Next