UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u227i] Unreal: Resurgence

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [u227i] Unreal: Resurgence Part 1

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 17:07

SteadZ wrote:The download is on ModDB, which is linked on the first page.

But here's a direct link anyway:

SZ
ok, thank you. new maps are scarce, I want to try any new decent maps I can..

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019, 18:12

Just an update - the project isn't dead yet. Progress has been tortuously slow, mainly because my new job leaves me exhausted and with little motivation to do much of anything, but I have been working on it.

AlCapowned has also been updating the core packages every few months. He made some changes to some of the weapons and his latest update added a replacement for the flak cannon (the lava gun).

This isn't going to be released in full any time soon, but progress is ongoing.

User avatar GamesHarder
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019, 11:53

Good to hear that!
Unreal Alpha & Beta picture collection:
https://mega.nz/folder/elQjRQbC#FoFU4B8rIVl4LQP90-VBIw

"The years go by, but the search never ends"

User avatar UberPwnr
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019, 23:56

ayy, nice to hear that this is still being worked on, been eyeballing the development of this project since its first release.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020, 00:37

I know it's been a very long time since we've posted anything, but the project is still being developed.

Anyway, here are a bunch of the gameplay changes so far:

The inventory has been overhauled to the point where I'm finally confident that it won't bring down the rest of the pack. Some weapons have been changed, others have been replaced entirely.
► Show Spoiler

The pawns have had their fair share of changes.
► Show Spoiler

Other general changes:
► Show Spoiler

The maps have also had some optimizations and fixes, and the pack will be a bit more stable as a result. The player gets the full arsenal by map 4. A few of the maps had some changes to make the sky island setting more apparent.
Map 2b has had some big changes and map 5 is nearing completion. The other maps have had some stability improvements here and there. With how long it's taken us to get this far, in all likelihood, Part 2 is never happening. That said, if Part 1 ends the way we hope it does, it will be on a high note.
Last edited by AlCapowned on 07 Mar 2021, 22:36, edited 9 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020, 09:36

Goddamn these are amazing changes, glad to see that Unreal 2 Skaarj stuff put to use!
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020, 15:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ejRJlWuG4

Here's a clip of the new kraal and raziks in action. Sorry for the poor quality.

The kraal are now going to be the main enemies you fight early on in maps 2 and 2b, tending to the various installations of their masters while the skaarj hunters mostly stick to temples and caverns. They drop their staves when killed and actively search for nearby staves while in combat, which should make them a bit different to fight compared to the regular krall. There are also a bunch of new variations in progress that should stop them from getting stale.

The raziks can now block melee attacks. A successful block will make you automatically counter attack, which in turn will knock your foe to the ground. This currently works on skaarj, kraal, hawks, and dragons; eventually I'll update it to work on slith and mercenaries. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it so some enemies will have the ability to block and counter as well.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020, 18:05

Oh wow! That's incredibly flavorful, and seriously cool that it's possible. You're right that it makes them quite the different enemy from the regular Krall!

However, in a post-Doom Eternal world, where gameplay balance and tAcTiCaL gAmEpLaY are at the front of people's minds, it does make me wonder: Do you see this making them a significantly different challenge, and an exciting mix-up of gameplay? Or is it more of an "oh cool!" effect that adds to the atmosphere and the perception of an "intelligent enemy"?

Also: Is it safe to assume these 'kraal' are a different entity/perhaps a sub-species of the retail Unreal Krall, given the different spelling and Beta-ish look?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020, 22:59

Right now it's more flavor than a real challenge, but I'm hoping that will change when I tie new abilities exclusively to dual-wielding. A kraal might decide to throw one of their spare staves at you like a javelin, or if you get close enough, they might choose to plant their staves into the ground and do a swift kick that sends you flying. Alternatively, they might decide to give a staff to one of their unarmed allies (I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to get this one to work, but it wouldn't be the hardest thing I've done).

The staff system still makes for a few interesting scenarios even though it's not finished yet. A kraal's projectiles are determined by their current staff, so if you have a bunch unarmed kraal gathered in a room with the weaker staves to the left and a single lord's staff to the right, you have some different choices to make. You can try heading off the kraal lord, but then you'll have to avoid the weaker kraals' projectiles. If you go left, you might be able to damage most of the regular kraal before they arm themselves, but then the lord might be able to take out big chunks of your health with his more powerful attacks. I haven't played Doom Eternal yet so I can't say how this sort of thing compares (I can't imagine it does), but it's at least a bit different from standard Unreal.

And yes, the kraal are related to the regular krall. The name is a callback to some of the alphas/betas, and lorewise it's supposed to show that they are held in higher esteem than their relatives. The kraal are more technologically-inclined, providing valuable services to the more primal skaarj hunters. Some of them will be seen fiddling with panels while others will use gadgets like power shields and laser swords.
Last edited by AlCapowned on 02 Jan 2021, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020, 18:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nJwGvgKuE

The translator has been remade to be fully mesh-based. They aren't shown in the video, but there are a few different animations to choose from, and they can also be turned off entirely if you want (same with the sounds).

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020, 20:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2IyVBLxqw

The skaarj minicannon has been redone and is now more like a traditional minigun with the need to wind up before firing.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020, 04:36

I looove the startup sound fx. Great stuff :tup:

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021, 16:06

https://youtu.be/Vfe_Z--ZXa8

For those of you who don't use Discord, here's the walk cycle of the new kraal dragoon. Both the rider and mount have their own health pools, and they play the krall or predator sounds depending on which one you hit. If you kill one of them, the other will continue their attack alone.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021, 19:38

https://youtu.be/pd7KyzQAQ70

https://youtu.be/sHvCk79yU94

https://youtu.be/oYCft1CJrDE

Just a few updates to the weapons. The stunner has been redesigned to be more like the ASMD and has its own version of the shock combo, the stinger has a new alt, and the raziks have a slam attack best for knocking enemies out of the air.

User avatar AlCapowned

Subject: Re: [u227i] Unreal: Resurgence

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021, 03:01

As usual, progress has been pretty slow. Tarydax has been updating the maps here and there, and I'm continuing to change the weapons (see the second post for their current incarnations, I still need to add pictures).

I did manage to get us out of a corner we wrote ourselves into, and the pack will now be 8-9 maps total and not split into two parts (we'll still tell the same story we wanted to, but with less filler). Also, the skaarj hunters as a faction have been renamed to The Exiled.

As always, a release is a long way away.

Previous Next