Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[v7.2] G59

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [v7.2] G59

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019, 17:23

I'm finally playing G59 v7.2 -- so far it's great! I really like most of the new areas and changes. Even additional rooms which seem to have no purpose, like the shrine to Tonatiuh, are nice touches. Speaking of him, I just got to the Ancient Scapes and plan to deal with his glowing ass tonight.

Once I finish, I'll run through it on the latest code to see if I can spot any obvious compatibility issues, but hopefully it'll be indistinguishable from v7.2 stuff. I'm not expecting much there aside from maybe a slightly easier time when Armor Scraps start dropping.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019, 21:29

Buff Skeleton wrote:I'm finally playing G59 v7.2 -- so far it's great! I really like most of the new areas and changes. Even additional rooms which seem to have no purpose, like the shrine to Tonatiuh, are nice touches. Speaking of him, I just got to the Ancient Scapes and plan to deal with his glowing ass tonight.

Once I finish, I'll run through it on the latest code to see if I can spot any obvious compatibility issues, but hopefully it'll be indistinguishable from v7.2 stuff. I'm not expecting much there aside from maybe a slightly easier time when Armor Scraps start dropping.

Ahahah the shrine has actually a silly mandatory purpose. Hit me up on discord for anything!

When v8 is out, while I won't make anymore big dramatic changes like before, I'll definitely retouch some balance issues (Limbo has a sequence breaking bug that I'm not sure how I missed and the boss fight is still too much), especially due to the armor shard system, and maybe fix various messages/lines to make them less cheesy.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019, 09:07

I made it to the Yaksha Kingdom and wow, I gotta say, I'm really impressed. The visuals (and sound) in some of these maps is incredible. Stunning stuff, really creative and clever use of existing and remixed assets!

Since I'm rusty on not just G59 but EXU in general, I've been playing on Hard, and generally it feels pretty well-balanced. There are times when I feel like I could use more ammo or armor, but I can usually make it to another pickup point before I'm totally desperate.

So, for the maps:

Limbo

The new Limbo map is good, and I like the new additions and simplified combat. I also like the new armor type introduced, the Demonlord Vest, as a more medium armor variant. Those come in handy!

One thing I didn't like though was the removal of the boss bar from the Gatekeeper. That made it hard to tell how much health the boss had left, and having it respawn twice just seemed kinda pointless and a bit of a tease when you thought you'd kicked its ass, lol. Unreal AI + my ancient Ultrabag code + that level environment doesn't make for a great boss fight IMO, especially since you spend most of the time hiding behind a cliff unloading all your ammo and flares into three big bullet sponges. If you try to take it head-on, it'll fuck you up so badly you'll compromise your ability to deal with later threats, so hiding is pretty much the only viable strategy there.

I also got near-instantly obliterated by that Skaarj hanging out by the well on my first run; it just does way too much damage if you don't stun it straight away. A regular Fiend might be better there?

Hyper Boundary Gate

As usual, Hyper Boundary Gate continues to be one of the most fun EXU levels out there, and probably the best possible FPS sewer map!

I think the Morax fight has some issues though, mainly just the way it's a fight you pretty much have to hide from and use flares to end it as fast as possible, or you'll end up losing all your armor and probably get killed. But I liked the fakeout this time, as I wasn't expecting it.

The problem with Morax is seen with some other enemies in G59: some enemies are just a bit too good.

When I think of an enemy, I consider these three traits:

> Fast: Closes distance quickly and can't easily be escaped from on foot
> Deadly: Can kill you in seconds if you don't take cover
> Tough: Takes an immense amount of ordnance to bring down

...and pick two of them.

I might also consider adding "Ranged: Can attack from beyond melee distance" and pick three of the four, but I think the basic three concepts get the job done for the most part.

In G59, especially with bosses, a lot of enemies seem to emphasize all three, which isn't inherently a problem for bosses -- but it does mean that you don't have many ways to deal with them. Like with Morax, if he was slower or less deadly, you'd have more options than just circle strafing around a pillar unloading flares. Anyway, just something to think about.

The Ancient Scapes

This map is really cool these days. I like the texture upgrades you gave to the sun-themed glyphs instead of the usual hell stuff. You've really gone all-out with the colorizing of existing textures and making new ones, and it shows. Level themes are very strong now, and they were already pretty good, even in early versions.

The dispensers are a welcome sight this time around, though I noticed they're all upside down :lol:

The only downside of this map is the treasure hunt sequence. It doesn't add anything to the game, and the reward isn't really worth it: a single Megablast Flare. If it was a special weapon or something that might be nice, but it's really meh for just a lot of time spent wandering around, essentially.

Manitou

Pretty much as I expected, except I seemed to get lost more this time around. There are a lot of hallways that look very similar; might want to add some more unique lighting choices in some areas, like different-colored glowing glyphs in some areas but not others, etc. I did really enjoy the increased emphasis on storytelling this time around too with all the extra drained enemies and the black stuff near their bodies.

Otherwise, map is fine, though I miss the original mega demon fights that happened in those square rooms with pools of water. What happened to those? There are some other areas that I felt like I missed this time around, but I'm not sure if they were removed or I just didn't go to those areas.

Another issue I had was with the Hyper Nuclear Slith. Are... you meant to kill those? I dumped so much ammo into them and they kept shooting to the point where I eventually died just from splash damage from missed shots hitting the wall behind me, and I never killed even one of them. I ended up just stun blasting the shit out of one and swimming past it, only to run into another seemingly-unkillable enemy. For that one, I just swam past it and into the portal and that was that. Are you supposed to actually fight those guys? Maybe I missed something that was supposed to de-power at least the Slith. Might be worth revising that area to make it clearer you need to do something before you take them on if that's the case, and if not, they could definitely use a mechanic like that.

Serve the Void

I especially like what you did with Foundry. I didn't even realize that was Foundry at first since the intro had changed so much, and the introduction of the Void incursion was done really well. Reversing the direction helped with keeping it disorienting in the dark, too, and the new texture job looks decent (when you can see it).

Also, seeing Nagomi well-lit at the end really helped drive home how fucked everything was once you came back later on and saw it subsumed by the Void. Massive improvement over the original implementation of these two maps, with much better environmental storytelling.

I wouldn't mind a little more combat in the day-lit Nagomi segment, though; it's pretty empty right now. That could be intentional and serve the atmosphere, so it's up to you if you think it would be worth adding some more stuff to shoot.

Mausoleum of Elohim

The Mausoleum is still one of the most impressive maps thematically I've ever seen in the engine, even if it isn't always one of the best looking. The light and dark contrast is really cool and still really unsettling when you first switch gears. Clever upgrade to the Berith boss fight, too, with the lock-in traps. You should be quite proud of this map.

One thing I'd say, though, is that I think the original music choice (Desert Wind) was way, way better for atmosphere in the dark section. What's in there now isn't bad, but it doesn't really do much to amplify the horror aspect like Desert Wind does.

I also got stuck for a bit in the dark section since I had forgotten the layout. In the room with the Jrath statue lit up by a flickering searchlight, you need to go into a narrow hallway in the lower right; I missed this like six times in a row, haha. It might be worth adding some additional light near that doorway (even on the other side) so you're more likely to spot it when looking around in that room.

Magatsu

The Magatsu city map is probably my favorite so far for its atmosphere and visuals, especially the sky. Great music selection for both the ambient and combat segments. The only significant issue with this one is that it's so big, it takes ages to walk around when you want to find something you left behind. Activateable teleporters would be very welcome if you can fit them in somehow, or even some weird alien demon tech super-kickers that launch you across the map (which would be a lot more entertaining).

Also, for Hard, it felt a bit too easy -- you could probably double the number of enemies and it would still be fine, or even add respawning patrols that come back a couple of times after death. I didn't run into major trouble until those Warlords showed up with the stun blaster things; those guys are truly nasty. If it weren't for the Saint gun (which is pretty great btw, aside from the lack of impact sound on the primary fire), particularly the alt blast, I'd be utterly fucked when they arrive in hordes and quickly close distance.

I do like the new types of enemies here, though -- especially the leaping Skaarj that can jump like 50 miles in the air, lmfao. Those really caught me off guard at first, and it was hilarious to look up at the creepy red star and see some somersaulting Skaarj up there too.

One suggestion for the big Skaarj that shoot those arc projectiles: give the projectiles a glow overlay like the heavy pentagrams in EXU or even the dispersion pistol lasers in Unreal (though those are built into the mesh). That way, they're more visible when coming directly at you. The arcs are only really visible from the side, so they look wonky when aimed more directly, and harder to see. Just giving them a bit of a glow would mostly solve that.

Ruins

This one was all-you as well, wasn't it? I didn't recognize any of it! Largely a good level, too.

The biggest problem I had was with the very beginning -- I couldn't figure out how to get past the guardian without being seen, so I eventually just God-moded it. I came back later and killed it, and the surprise you get for that is a nice touch. It's just seemingly impossible to pass that thing at the start, especially since it can still see you in the dark despite what the message at the start implies.

For some reason I really liked the brute boss fight, even though it was really kinda basic and easy (like the others, except for the Slith's dick-move regen which took me a few tries to overcome and lots of Piddledoper stun blasting; I didn't notice the crushers until after the fight was over). The purple smoke around it looked cool and made it feel really unique, especially with the weird projectiles it uses.

Aaaand that's pretty much where I left off, in Yaksha, dealing with really heavy resistance in a quite awesome map so far. I love how expansive the layout is now, too. I can recognize -- just barely -- some of the RTNP castle origins here, but it feels totally new otherwise. Good stuff. Just wish the fog didn't obliterate my performance so badly in the open areas, because it looks so good. The skybox has some really cool stuff in it too, though I think you could make it a lot better using 3D skyboxes for most of the other structures.

Looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up. Should be done in a few more days at this rate.

Also, just a quick check: have you ever seen this happen? https://i.imgur.com/A5LolCp.jpg

Somehow, all EXU shieldbelts were applying the team texture to the weapon and the player. What's weirder is I've never seen this happen in my main UT install, but it happened in the fresh one I made for G59 -- until I copied over my user.ini from the main install. After that, it persisted in saves where it had already kicked in, but it stopped after that. WTF?

So is this something anyone else has seen before, or is it some weird quirk that only shows up when the right combination of settings are enabled? My cloned G59 install came from a stock UT install which didn't have any real config work done on it, so it may be some obscure renderer setting or user preference that causes it, something I'd long since turned off (or on) in my main install, and updating my G59 install's settings made it stop afterwards. Did my best to isolate the possible culprits, but nothing I tried made it repeat on demand. SO WEIRD.

If you do see it applying to a weapon instead of just the player model, it's definitely a bug, so lemme know!

(BTW, I tried loading the latest code to see if it was somehow something I'd changed [and it wasn't], and I had no trouble loading existing saves with it. So you hopefully won't have to make any major changes once V8 drops!)

User avatar UTNerd24
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019, 11:33

Buff Skeleton wrote:The only downside of this map is the treasure hunt sequence. It doesn't add anything to the game, and the reward isn't really worth it: a single Megablast Flare. If it was a special weapon or something that might be nice, but it's really meh for just a lot of time spent wandering around, essentially.

Really? I thought it was 2 Megablast Flares?
Also I think that Texture bug is part of Having High Detail Actors turned off. Cos it seems to happen whenever I disable it.
As a result, I just make an exec for performance to cull things like Shit blobs and smoke
Pls play Unreal

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019, 13:04

Aiiiight thank you in advance, now

Buff Skeleton wrote:Limbo
One thing I didn't like though was the removal of the boss bar from the Gatekeeper. That made it hard to tell how much health the boss had left, and having it respawn twice just seemed kinda pointless and a bit of a tease when you thought you'd kicked its ass, lol. Unreal AI + my ancient Ultrabag code + that level environment doesn't make for a great boss fight IMO, especially since you spend most of the time hiding behind a cliff unloading all your ammo and flares into three big bullet sponges. If you try to take it head-on, it'll fuck you up so badly you'll compromise your ability to deal with later threats, so hiding is pretty much the only viable strategy there.

I also got near-instantly obliterated by that Skaarj hanging out by the well on my first run; it just does way too much damage if you don't stun it straight away. A regular Fiend might be better there?

(Three Gatekeepers) essentially they'll be weakened down in the next update, I realized how awful they can be even on Medium. I didn't add HP bars because I consider them regular strong enemies than just unique boss characters.

As for the Skaarj at the end, he dies in just one Clustershock Flare or you can simply use the PP's stun orbs multiple times so he won't attack once until death. I'll tone him down too.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Hyper Boundary Gate
I think the Morax fight has some issues though, mainly just the way it's a fight you pretty much have to hide from and use flares to end it as fast as possible, or you'll end up losing all your armor and probably get killed. But I liked the fakeout this time, as I wasn't expecting it.

The problem with Morax is seen with some other enemies in G59: some enemies are just a bit too good.

When I think of an enemy, I consider these three traits:

> Fast: Closes distance quickly and can't easily be escaped from on foot
> Deadly: Can kill you in seconds if you don't take cover
> Tough: Takes an immense amount of ordnance to bring down

...and pick two of them.

I might also consider adding "Ranged: Can attack from beyond melee distance" and pick three of the four, but I think the basic three concepts get the job done for the most part.

In G59, especially with bosses, a lot of enemies seem to emphasize all three, which isn't inherently a problem for bosses -- but it does mean that you don't have many ways to deal with them. Like with Morax, if he was slower or less deadly, you'd have more options than just circle strafing around a pillar unloading flares. Anyway, just something to think about.

I tried million ways to balance Morax and gave up for the most part, that I left it in a state of a boss fight about who dies first. It all goes down shooting Hyper Flakker primary until he's done for, before he brings you down with lasers.
I like the first phase of the fight, it's chaotic enough. The second phase is a bit so-so, should make the lasers less accurate so you can fight him around the arena anywhere, like in the first phase, instead of spiraling around one of the pillars.

Buff Skeleton wrote:The Ancient Scapes
The dispensers are a welcome sight this time around, though I noticed they're all upside down :lol:

The only downside of this map is the treasure hunt sequence. It doesn't add anything to the game, and the reward isn't really worth it: a single Megablast Flare. If it was a special weapon or something that might be nice, but it's really meh for just a lot of time spent wandering around, essentially.

Loool I think I realized about the upside down dispensers after I put those in the Magatsu map.
As for the treasure hunt, it's supposed to be a huge troll but that flare can matter quite a lot in Manitou, especially on Unreal difficulty.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Manitou
Otherwise, map is fine, though I miss the original mega demon fights that happened in those square rooms with pools of water. What happened to those? There are some other areas that I felt like I missed this time around, but I'm not sure if they were removed or I just didn't go to those areas.

Another issue I had was with the Hyper Nuclear Slith. Are... you meant to kill those? I dumped so much ammo into them and they kept shooting to the point where I eventually died just from splash damage from missed shots hitting the wall behind me, and I never killed even one of them. I ended up just stun blasting the shit out of one and swimming past it, only to run into another seemingly-unkillable enemy. For that one, I just swam past it and into the portal and that was that. Are you supposed to actually fight those guys? Maybe I missed something that was supposed to de-power at least the Slith. Might be worth revising that area to make it clearer you need to do something before you take them on if that's the case, and if not, they could definitely use a mechanic like that.

The demon fights are still there, I didn't like the previous version because they mostly forced you to camp one spot, throwing biohazard flares and hyperflakker grenades at their spawn points and that is. Wanted instead the player to face them directly and the possibility to run around normally.

Also yes, fuck-up.
I thought I gave the Slith immunity to stuns - you are not supposed to make past them. Basically a huge sequence break that kinda builds up to the successive level's weird nightmarish fuckery.
It's like in the previous version somehow: you unlock new areas progressively to make your way to the commander room. There are few messages that tell or suggest to not bother with the Slith and unlock instead Tunnel 3, from the commander's panel.
Think I'll make sure that the Tunnels 1/2 have doors that only unlock once the respective Slith are dead (which will be never because I'll make them invincible). The creature in the exit chamber will make sense if you take the proper route. The map's environment is intentionally repetitive-looking and claustrophobic, kinda helps the atmosphere with all these dead drained Hyper beings around; I think it'll be much better if you replay this one like it's supposed to be.

It's a heavy storyline level, with tons of messages foreshadow/explain what's going on in the world. It's my personal favorite on how it progresses and I love how it connects to Void.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Serve the Void
I wouldn't mind a little more combat in the day-lit Nagomi segment, though; it's pretty empty right now. That could be intentional and serve the atmosphere, so it's up to you if you think it would be worth adding some more stuff to shoot.

Intentional to the core, especially in contrast to what happens to it later. The map itself can be very tough already depending on how many Shadow Skaarj appeared in the building, unlike the other enemy types their appearances are randomized.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Mausoleum of Elohim
One thing I'd say, though, is that I think the original music choice (Desert Wind) was way, way better for atmosphere in the dark section. What's in there now isn't bad, but it doesn't really do much to amplify the horror aspect like Desert Wind does.

I also got stuck for a bit in the dark section since I had forgotten the layout. In the room with the Jrath statue lit up by a flickering searchlight, you need to go into a narrow hallway in the lower right; I missed this like six times in a row, haha. It might be worth adding some additional light near that doorway (even on the other side) so you're more likely to spot it when looking around in that room.

Ah yeah Desert Wind comes from Fallout, so I couldn't use it again. Didn't find anything as fitting as the new track, originally I didn't want to put any track for that dark part at all. Transferunit probably amplifies the industrial theme aspect.

I'll put some more lights where it's needed!

Buff Skeleton wrote:Magatsu

The Magatsu city map is probably my favorite so far for its atmosphere and visuals, especially the sky. Great music selection for both the ambient and combat segments. The only significant issue with this one is that it's so big, it takes ages to walk around when you want to find something you left behind. Activateable teleporters would be very welcome if you can fit them in somehow, or even some weird alien demon tech super-kickers that launch you across the map (which would be a lot more entertaining).

Also, for Hard, it felt a bit too easy -- you could probably double the number of enemies and it would still be fine, or even add respawning patrols that come back a couple of times after death. I didn't run into major trouble until those Warlords showed up with the stun blaster things; those guys are truly nasty. If it weren't for the Saint gun (which is pretty great btw, aside from the lack of impact sound on the primary fire), particularly the alt blast, I'd be utterly fucked when they arrive in hordes and quickly close distance.

I do like the new types of enemies here, though -- especially the leaping Skaarj that can jump like 50 miles in the air, lmfao. Those really caught me off guard at first, and it was hilarious to look up at the creepy red star and see some somersaulting Skaarj up there too.

One suggestion for the big Skaarj that shoot those arc projectiles: give the projectiles a glow overlay like the heavy pentagrams in EXU or even the dispersion pistol lasers in Unreal (though those are built into the mesh). That way, they're more visible when coming directly at you. The arcs are only really visible from the side, so they look wonky when aimed more directly, and harder to see. Just giving them a bit of a glow would mostly solve that.

Ahaha this map, it got made in three weeks and honestly I wish I'd have put in some different gimmick in the main city zone (the four stations thing is sorta repeated in Yaksha). I had to put some emphasis on "walking alone in an unknown city for so long to the point of becoming a pure isolation torture".
Balancing has been a bit off because due to technical reason I had to remove the Shotty. Unreal difficulty comes with those MegaGasbags and some extra Spinners and I always found it kinda hard at times. The difficulty comes from the availability of Saint ammo and Armor items. Not sure what to do now, maybe after V8 drops I'll try to change something.

Also yeah those arc projectiles look weird, I'll be fixing those.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Ruins

This one was all-you as well, wasn't it? I didn't recognize any of it! Largely a good level, too.

The biggest problem I had was with the very beginning -- I couldn't figure out how to get past the guardian without being seen, so I eventually just God-moded it. I came back later and killed it, and the surprise you get for that is a nice touch. It's just seemingly impossible to pass that thing at the start, especially since it can still see you in the dark despite what the message at the start implies.

For some reason I really liked the brute boss fight, even though it was really kinda basic and easy (like the others, except for the Slith's dick-move regen which took me a few tries to overcome and lots of Piddledoper stun blasting; I didn't notice the crushers until after the fight was over). The purple smoke around it looked cool and made it feel really unique, especially with the weird projectiles it uses.

Ya the Abyss is all-new. It was improved massively in v7 in order to serve a much major purpose instead of being a straight pre-Yaksha filler.

In the first area, as the message says, just stay in the dark spots and walk to the exit. Only the reddish lights pop up the enemy, the one from the torch at the end not. As you walk out from the entry spot, where the message is, just turn left and run next to the wall until you get to the torch. Don't go in the village or way too much in the middle. I lowered the light radius of one of the three towers so it makes a bit more sense what way is safe.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Aaaand that's pretty much where I left off, in Yaksha, dealing with really heavy resistance in a quite awesome map so far. I love how expansive the layout is now, too. I can recognize -- just barely -- some of the RTNP castle origins here, but it feels totally new otherwise. Good stuff. Just wish the fog didn't obliterate my performance so badly in the open areas, because it looks so good. The skybox has some really cool stuff in it too, though I think you could make it a lot better using 3D skyboxes for most of the other structures.

Looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up. Should be done in a few more days at this rate.

I uncovered a huge geometry screw-up with the level that I probably won't ever fix. Too scared lol, I'm pretty sure this level makes the engine boil, it was even worse before when there were more fog lights around the castle itself. Had to tone a lot of stuff down because of random crashes (a lot of it caused by the EXUPanel decos, specifically the pentagram actor ones). No idea what else to add in the skybox, maybe more rocks over the mountains but the lava lake seems busy enough. It was all inspired by this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMUmDQ28bfQ

It's a really hard level and the fight before you enter the castle is a rather tough time trial. Be sure to keep PentaPowers always up!

The last level is the most heavily story-based one of the campaign and not too long (30 minutes at worst). Plays fairly differently, the boss kinda sucks barring that sick introduction but at least it stays true to what he's doing according to the story. Greatest achievement is that Atropos touches the max amount of nodes in the editor which is an amazing feat considering how stable it is.
Almost all the campaign design decisions are related to the story going on. I tried to make everything having some logical sense in the background just like Xeops.

Buff Skeleton wrote:Also, just a quick check: have you ever seen this happen? https://i.imgur.com/A5LolCp.jpg

Somehow, all EXU shieldbelts were applying the team texture to the weapon and the player. What's weirder is I've never seen this happen in my main UT install, but it happened in the fresh one I made for G59 -- until I copied over my user.ini from the main install. After that, it persisted in saves where it had already kicked in, but it stopped after that. WTF?

So is this something anyone else has seen before, or is it some weird quirk that only shows up when the right combination of settings are enabled? My cloned G59 install came from a stock UT install which didn't have any real config work done on it, so it may be some obscure renderer setting or user preference that causes it, something I'd long since turned off (or on) in my main install, and updating my G59 install's settings made it stop afterwards. Did my best to isolate the possible culprits, but nothing I tried made it repeat on demand. SO WEIRD.

If you do see it applying to a weapon instead of just the player model, it's definitely a bug, so lemme know!

(BTW, I tried loading the latest code to see if it was somehow something I'd changed [and it wasn't], and I had no trouble loading existing saves with it. So you hopefully won't have to make any major changes once V8 drops!)

Never happened. This is something that appeared regularly in Unreal 1 too so it has to do with the game's main visual settings like High Detail being turned on/off. It shouldn't be happening in UT however.

Good things the levels load under V8 though! I wonder how much it impacts Xeops on the other hand, if not at all probably since it's just only about the actors themselves and not the gametype.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019, 19:09

Ahh High Detail Actors, that's it. I tried toggling that but forgot that it requires a game (and probably level) restart in order to take effect, as once those effects are spawned they stick around until they are deleted normally (i.e. when the belt expires). And when I purposefully nuked my belt off and summoned another one, the second didn't have the uggo effect. So that's probably it. My stock install hadn't had high detail enabled yet.

I wonder what actually causes that, since I didn't see any mention in the shieldbelt code of bMeshEnviroMap which it clearly sets. I wonder if it's handled in PlayerPawn or Weapon or something instead? Also interesting is some weapons display the effect during their select animation, like the Tachyon Driver, but most don't display it until the select anim completes. So weird. I'll check and see if I can find a way to prevent that effect from happening at all, even if high detail is disabled, because my god it looks hideous!

User avatar UTNerd24

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019, 01:46

Yay! I'm Helping! By the way UB, I meant to say this, but In Atropos, the first room after the ruins has a broken Teleporter so anyone trapped out there is fucked unless they Ghost through, which is probably a bad idea considering the immense detail of the map.
Pls play Unreal

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019, 11:05

UTNerd24 wrote:Yay! I'm Helping! By the way UB, I meant to say this, but In Atropos, the first room after the ruins has a broken Teleporter so anyone trapped out there is fucked unless they Ghost through, which is probably a bad idea considering the immense detail of the map.

Good one to take care, even though that only impacts coop mode which frankly doesn't matter nowadays.

Atropos' big major bug is Precache=True strangely fucking up those matrix bar textures by making them masked/translucent, not sure why it happens with those and only in this level, while in Xeops they work normally.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019, 17:16

Finished. Wow, what a finale! Awesome final fight, if a bit on the easy side. And the last map looked incredible. I'm really really impressed with how cool that was, and the music choice was perfect. The escalating stakes in the story were quite compelling as well. Though G59 is rough around the edges in a lot of areas, it's still a really unique and excellent map pack. Well done.

I'll see about testing with V8 code soon and hopefully won't have any issues to report!

[Edit] Every map loads in the editor just fine, but there's still a lot more to test to ensure no bugs have cropped up. So far so good though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019, 19:01

:tup:
That final boss music was a life-saver, I remember Xenofish upping it on SC right when needed.
EBD came up with that trigger that kills any actor on a map (as what happens after the final boss dies); it was from Firetrucks I believe, so thanks a lot for that if you're reading this.

I might leave the story as it is, not rewriting messages or anything. Too many connected tidbits to keep track of. What I will likely do instead is adding minuscole scripted events to emphasize better obvious outcomes like the spawning points of the Gatekeepers in the first level; can't really add tips because a bunch of messages feel like tips already, specifically in the case of the "unknown" logs.

► Show Spoiler
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020, 15:15

Have nothing to do so I'm overhauling G59 again!
Too long to describe the changes in Limbo, meanwhile I'm doing a gigantic remake of Neonlights aka Toxic

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020, 09:45

That is the biggest middlefinger to the older map I've ever seen
I grant you the ultimate power!

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020, 20:37

Damn, there's so much going on architecturally, yet it flows pretty well. Hats off!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar UTNerd24

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020, 03:29

Maaaan. You sure the Engine can handle all that detail?
Pls play Unreal

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020, 19:27

Update from the limbo land

Previous Next