ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[u1] Custom Map Review: "Konosus: The Secret of Minos" by Robert Wey & W3RM

Newer articles published by UnrealSP.org staff can be found here until the main site's renewal comes to fruition.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [u1] Custom Map Review: "Konosus: The Secret of Minos" by Robert Wey & W3RM

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018, 18:07

Darkon wrote:pics don't show up unfortunately... Could some one replace? Please? :)
It sounds like a nice map actually...

I would also like to see the pics replaced. ividyon, if someone sends you some pics, would you take them and add them to these reviews? or maybe some other moderator can do that? I could take pics if you wish, all in original 1280x1024 format.

P.S.: Darkon, the map is good but not excellent - it has a nonsensical ending and the concept feels bigger than what the mapper actually achieved.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [u1] Custom Map Review: "Konosus: The Secret of Minos" by Robert Wey & W3RM

Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018, 22:56

Sat42 wrote:...
- it has a nonsensical ending and the concept feels bigger than what the mapper actually achieved.

Hey Sat42, how did you get to the ending?
I reached the upper area with the voicebox but was then clueless as to what to try next. Well, not really clueless but nothing I tried offered any progress (I even looked in the editor :x )

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019, 11:31

salsaSkaarj wrote:
- it has a nonsensical ending and the concept feels bigger than what the mapper actually achieved.

Hey Sat42, how did you get to the ending?
I reached the upper area with the voicebox but was then clueless as to what to try next. Well, not really clueless but nothing I tried offered any progress (I even looked in the editor :x )

Hehe salsaSkaarj, fear not! You always get an answer in the end, even if it takes months (sorry about that!) :)

So like I said the map has a nonsensical ending, and really it's so stupidly implemented (goes against the rules of good game design) that I suspect it has more to do with the author not finishing what he had in mind than anything else.
Yeah so that pillar with the voice box (for which you need jump boots): it's useless (again a sign that this ending sequence went unfinished); in order to get to the end without cheating, you need to walk past the stone pillar with the voice box on top (you can still use the jump boots to get the voice box if you really want to), and continue until you get to the very corner of this plateau, overlooking the pool below - there's a small, irregularly shaped step at this corner which you need to get onto, then facing the pool, you need to drop down carefully - you want to have as little forward momentum as possible - and you will (TADA!) land on a small invisible platform that will immediately start carrying you to the highest plateau on the map - you then walk on this plateau to the little campsite where the exit teleporter will take you to NyLeve's Falls, logically.

Mystery solved using the map editor :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019, 13:49

Hehe salsaSkaarj, fear not! You always get an answer in the end, even if it takes months (sorry about that!) :)

Welcome back!

Mystery solved using the map editor :P

Yeah, I had seen that in the editor and tried that movement also, but unfortunately pointing towards the waterfalls.
Now it worked. Thanks for the help.
In a relatively small space, there's quite a lot going on and the couple of surprise attacks (thanks to the teleporter) (without being unfair) make gameplay quite pleasing to me.
It is a pity though that the maps doesn't reach its full potential due to that ending (and also if you explore the top area and walk to the end of the cliff, there's no way to get back to the ending).

Previous