Scout-kun is a lie... right?

need packages 'cytizen' & 'doorssnd'

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: need packages 'cytizen' & 'doorssnd'

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017, 20:24

This weekend I've fired up Unreal again, this time attempting to play http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/Strange_Places.zip . Unfortunately it's a no go, requiring two packages not found on my install: "Cytizen" and "DoorsSnd".

Presumably these are both *.uax files, as this pak also requires "Ambient". I already have that one because I kind forum member passed it along for a previous set of maps similarly resource-challenged maps). Does anyone also happen to have these other two? I'd be most grateful.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: need packages 'cytizen' & 'doorssnd'

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017, 20:43

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017, 21:31

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017, 04:08

M'nali

Ironword

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017, 07:29

Thanks bob & watcher, now all maps open except the next-to-last one (Strange_6) and the final map (StrangeEnd). Previously these two maps had failed because they needed one of the resources listed in the OP. Now, however, Strange6 says it needs "Fchameleon" and StrangeEnd says it needs "Male2NewBk".

And of course who knows what else might be missing--for all I know these maps have a long line of missing resources. Has anyone played them who might know? I'd hate to keep bugging you guys for resource after resource. Don't want to be a pest. (I did a Google search for these resources and stumbled across https://gamebanana.com/skins/50142, but after I downloaded it I found that the texture package inside was "tskmskinsChameleon.utx", not "Fchameleon", so no dice there.)

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017, 09:10

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017, 21:48

I put the packages in the zip once again if someone wants to try.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hq44k7uo ... Places.zip
M'nali

Ironword

Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017, 19:21

Thx Bob! Now for the new installment of our ongoing saga. Presumably I have all the packages necessary for the final map, StrangeEnd, but we'll never know because upon opening it crashes Unreal with the ubiquitous virtual-memory error (none of the other maps in the pack do that, so I have to assume that this one is just buggy--but as it's a lot smaller than the others, hopefully it's nothing but an outro).

The final big map, though (Strange_6), is still missing packages. Now it says it lacks "ChamTex". I have the sinking feeling that this isn't the last one, either...apologies in advance...

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017, 08:48

Ironword

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017, 19:01

Bob's the man! Er, and now it says it needs "LadderSounds".... (Diego, I wouldn't bother zipping the rest until we've ironed out all of these missing resources).

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017, 21:30

LadderSounds is a default UT package, so you can just copy it across ;)

I checked the map file through BfNPDepends and you'll still requre the following files:
(Both are music files from UT)
- botmca9
- strider

(No idea what these ones are, Bob?!)
- null48
- orion
- tkr_monsterpack

This just really shows the importance of checking your dependencies before relese :rolleyes:

SZ

[EDIT:]
Just checked the ending map to find that it requires UDSDemo, which is a package from RtNP.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017, 22:00

http://bobisunreal.com/random/Forum/strange/Orion.umx
http://bobisunreal.com/random/Forum/strange/2000.umx
http://bobisunreal.com/random/Forum/str ... sterPack.u
http://bobisunreal.com/random/Forum/strange/null48.umx

and a note;
"TKR_MonsterPack"
is a newish package, surfacing from tomkat rebel in about 2012

FChameleon is somthing that leo fixed a while back i think.
Male2newbk is a older skin package that was no doubt used for a dead body skin somwhere in the map, probably kamis when the map was edited.

the package or version of the maps you have , has passed tho and been modifed by dog clan hands.could have been rubie or kami. lol

david i am sure originally included all the dependencies, but as it [passed hand dependecies were forgoten , since they assumes everyone would have them.

Ironword

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017, 04:54

Arrighty then! All maps now opening and the pack is a go! Thanks much to Diegog, Bob, SteadZ for the assist.

LadderSounds is a default UT package, so you can just copy it across
No need; I use the cross-game folder hierarchy described at https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5540. Except I don't share System folders--that tends to cause problems. But all else is available, each game to the other.

Note: I apparently do not need TKR_monsterpack--which is a good thing, because when I added it, UnrealGold would no longer open, not even in safe mode. The GPF message said something about a male2 skin problem. I should have written it down so I could report it fully, but didn't think of that until after I had gotten rid of the monsterpack. It certainly scared my little Unreal!

But the maps are opening fine without it, so all's good.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017, 10:58

I have never heard of this project and I cant seem to find anything about it on the internet. There is no readme in the file either... If you are finished, Ironword, Id be glad if you could share your experience here!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Ironword

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017, 07:02

editor Dave wrote:Id be glad if you could share your experience here!
Haven't played through it yet--I just wanted it fully ready for when I do. Right now I'm doing preliminary surveys of all the packs I have, making sure everything's actually working, so that I can sit down in another couple of weeks or so and just go--you know, sit down to a relaxing hour of gaming in the evening without having to worry that I'm going to run up against some issue that's going to destroy my eagerly-anticipated gametime. Most of us, I'm sure, don't have a whole lot of time to mess around--currently I'm unattached, so I have a couple of hours most nights, but when UT keeps crashing in a certain map, that 2 hours can evaporate in troubleshooting and no real playing gets done. Then you go to bed angry and frustrated because you didn't get to shoot stuff. So I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I try do any serious shooting. This pack is a case in point. It would have been really annoying to start playing it and then run into those resource problems, and sit there flapping in the breeze for several days until I got everything.

I'll tell you my initial impressions of the first map, though, which I've traversed most of. It's clearly a coop run-and-gun endeavor. You can of course play it SP, but the architecture is too vanilla to impress, and although there seems to be an attempt at a story, the English is so bad that it's basically impossible to understand; and my best interpretation is that it's deliberately facetious (when you try to go into the locked door to a fortress, the garbled message says something about the doorman having gone fishing). And visually, it's no better. Utterly generic architecture, worse even than a lot of the maps produced back in the earliest days (first six months or so of Unreal mapping). In this first map there are large, completely flat open spaces sprinkled with nothing but an unrelieved grass texture and a few trees, with a bunch of monsters just sitting around waiting for you to traipse across the plains. Yup, Skaarj squatted down sharpening their wristclaws in the middle of nowhere for no particular reason. And sometimes more monsters simply spawn after you've killed a wave of them. No rationale to it whatsoever. Oh yeah, it's nighttime, and that's a deliberate choice: the map is depending on darkness to hide the lack of imagination, visual and otherwise.

In sum: I'll play this through because I do in fact like me some run n' gun with uber-modded overkill weapons, but that's about all this is good for. Weedrow it ain't. To give you a point of reference, the Csejte Castle HerdCoop Pack, which has no story either and which some folks have criticized for architectural monotony, is still head and shoulders above this pack if the rest follows the precedents set by the first map. (I can't speak to the rest because all I did was make sure they opened--didn't do any exploration on any of the other levels in the pack.)

Next