Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

26/05/2008 - "Skaarj Generator" by Eenocks

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 26/05/2008 - "Skaarj Generator" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 03:42

Map Title: Skaarj Generator
Author: Eenocks
Filename: ExtremeGen.unr
Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/9359069
Illumination: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=evl0P-gZu9w

ImageImage

Synopsis: You've infiltrated the generator of the Skaarj Mothership; time for some demolition!
Last edited by Semfry on 30 May 2008, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 09:00

Kind of raw, even on my first play in Unreal.But it is an ending map so it workeed out.More DM or co-op ish, it is what it is.
Just ban everyone

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 09:41

There is a DM conversion of this map, it's quite fun.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 13:05

It's not very beautiful, is it? IMO Unreal deserved something bigger and better for this near-finale location. This is typical of the MotherShip maps for me: It's reasonably spacious and there are some interesting angles, but given the tremendous opportunity for visual drama provided by Pancho's amazing, huge MotherShip exterior, this map could have been 10x better.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: It's very beautiful

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 17:58

I really liked the Generator room's top. The awesome battle here sums how fun this map is.

To be quite honest, I found it better than the previous map but worse than the next level... cutscene.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 19:18

Along with the previous mothership level i found this one to have the most exciting combat in the entire game, i love it how everything moves around and the entire ship is on high alert and such.

It is an amazing place but i do feel it could have had a bit more visual appeal to it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 May 2008, 21:14

As a long unreal player and coop player, I have come to respect this map as one of the great levels of unreal. It has lots of action, many escape routes (portals), lots of pickup items scattered, and even a "center power core" like you would destory if you were inifiltrating a boss ship in StarFox 64.

Although the graphics were not the best, I think it was made with simple low poly graphics for a distict reason -> This is a map where you have to really concentrate on what your doing and how your fighting, so people with slower computers back in the day didn't suffer much proformance lack which made it fun for everyone... Just image running around fragging skaarj at 10 fps (no fun).

And I also think that it should be took into account the AWESOME power core explosion which results in the map after. These 2 maps obviously were planned out ideas and were not just slapped together to make a "battle royal". In my opinion 9/10 overall.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 May 2008, 05:41

The first time I played this map it was pretty freakin' awesome. The following map's explosion sequence was also "wow".

Over the years I've come to admire its simplicity. It's one of those maps that leaves a great first impression while being far simpler than meets the eye. You can imagine my surprise when I checked this one out in the editor for the first time (many years ago) and discovered that the energy cloud was a sheet. Nowadays I can spot when I'm looking at a sprite or an emitter, but with this one (the game in general), I was fooled.

There's a big homage to this one in one of RD's more epic showdown maps, and elements of the "big fight in a big room with tech stuff" can be seen in Xidia and 7B. Suffice it to say, it left an impression :o

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 13:21

I could swear playing this in Oldskool makes the AI absurdly passive compared to how it's supposed to be; having to hunt everything rather than being hunted kind of ruins it.

It's a pretty simple arena map, it does what it's trying to do well but it doesn't do anything particularily special either. If we're adding Illumination to this as well then that's another thing, as that justifies the simplicity of this level.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 15:25

....what MMAN said.. basically puts it together for me. It's more of a DM map than a regular SP map IMHO.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 15:33

Mister_Prophet wrote:There's a big homage to this one in one of RD's more epic showdown maps, and elements of the "big fight in a big room with tech stuff" can be seen in Xidia and 7B. Suffice it to say, it left an impression :o

Are those maps yours?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 20:41

Illumination won't have its own MOTW, so you can and should discuss it here. It is indeed a very cool cut scene, making excellent use of the Unreal engine's capabilities. In 1998 this stuff truly was groundbreaking; Quake had, by comparison, little more advanced than moving doors and lifts.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 20:52

I might as well post my comments on this one. I guess it's not much to look at today but when I first played through Unreal this level really stood out and for me at least helped bring the game to a level above other FPS titles. The fighting was decent and the teleporters really helped to make it great. With Skaarj appearing everywhere you really had to be on your toes! Not many other games can offer a similar experience.

As Illumination counts as well let me just say there's nothing like playing through that level for the first time. Just seeing all the fantastic effects and the whole level blowing up was just awesome. It felt great when I first played it back around 2001-2002 and it must've been monumental back in 1998.

The UT DM version of the level was good as well. When you come to think of it now it seems rather odd they never did something similar for the original Unreal as the level was pratically built as a few others have said as a DM arena type level.

I look forward to RD as always. I hope the homage is awesome indeed! :tup:
StalwartUK

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 21:31

MMAN, will illumination be added to the vid? :)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 22:47

Well, the map wasn't the best in terms of visuals probably (although, as said before, architecture is quite good while providing acceptable framerate at the same time), but it was really good in terms of combat - teleporters made it so much more interesting. On the other hand either I never discovered it, or ASMD with energy amplifier is simple overkill (or did MMAN telefragged the warlord?). And another thing - reaperance of Warlord here was a good touch IMO - both storyline- and gameplaywise.

As for Illumination - besides you have to learn by dying here (the generator collapsed on my head during my first playthrough :/) the cutscene is simply a masterpiece, especially back in 1998 (although I still like it).
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

Next