Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

15/02/2016 - "ISVDECK1" by Myscha the sled dog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 15/02/2016 - "ISVDECK1" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016, 20:15

Map Title: ISVDECK1
Author: Myscha the sled dog
Filename: isvdeck1.unr
Music Files: Kran2.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqBsuiOYv8E

Sypnosis: You continue further into the ISV-Kran, where a way out awaits at the cockpit...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 15/02/2016 - "ISVDECK1" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016, 08:47

That's not a surprise that I don't like all the ISV Kran levels. Though this one is my favourite map from this set. Why? I like to kill 20 skaarjes barricading myself behind the first door waiting for they appear. :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016, 15:54

Ye Myscha was much more experienced when he completed ISV DECK 1. Only much later I noticed it used the Nemo starship textures.
And ISV-Kran was planned as being initially optional...
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 01:10

Probably my favourite ISV-Kran map. The start does the "invasion" thing much better than the first Kran level, with the option to run or fight (with the general number of enemies being given to let you gauge the odds). The main hub area is memorable with the Blob enclosure, and the living quarters part provides some darker and creepier moments (and between the start and that section this probably pulls off the horror concepts of the Kran the best). Then you get the semi-climax of reaching the cockpit and escaping, even if it's somewhat of a low-key one; just about every part has something unique in it.

Also I guess this being made later explains the map name being completely different.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 03:07

Best part of the map is being able to rush through the transformer switches at the start, get on the other side of the energy barrier, then turn it back on and bait Skaarj into it. Hilarious every time.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 10:08

This reminded me of Half-Life which is a gud thing but IVAN maps are still the worst for me.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 13:11

The best thing about this map is the exit for me. Not only because it looked cool, but also because it marked the end of this way too big spacecraft :D
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Loke
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 20:02

Surprised to see such a general dislike for the ISV-Kran maps. They're actually one of the best map set in the game if you ask me. And then 7 Bullets came along and made them even better.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 22:32

Loke wrote:Surprised to see such a general dislike for the ISV-Kran maps. They're actually one of the best map set in the game if you ask me. And then 7 Bullets came along and made them even better.

While I do think the maps have issues, they have a certain charm to them that sets them apart from other maps for me. I like Unreal's depiction of futuristic human spaceships. And yes 7 bullets had some pretty kickass reduxes of these levels.

Now my opinion on this map in particular? I think its pretty much the best map out of the bunch. It was made later in development so I feel its a bit more well put together, and it does the "oh fuck skaarj are trying to hunt me down" vibe better with the beginning of the level being a fast paced rush to disable the lasers. Scared the shit out of me the first time around and I still get shakey at that part.

Also does anyone get really weirded out by the blobets? I find them so weird I waste eightball ammo on them just so they don't get near me.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016, 00:00

Man I'm glad I can still comment on this one! :)

I think everyone remembers this map's first act pretty well, indeed it was scary and I died a couple of times here. Ahaha and Nightmare Kitteh is right, bloblets FTW!! I sure do get weirded out by them and yeah, won't let them anywhere near me :P

I like how the whole thing leads to the cockpit which came with a nice view, but nowadays I think the exit teleporter is just a weird, cop-out design, even if it is explained.

The best of the ISV-Kran levels, period.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016, 04:37

Sat42 wrote:Ahaha and Nightmare Kitteh is right, bloblets FTW!! I sure do get weirded out by them and yeah, won't let them anywhere near me :P

It might have something to do with the noises they make and the way they move. I think its the same reason I get freaked out by germs if I zoom in on them too much. They really arent that much of a threat in the game though.