Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Ancient Unfinished Maps Compendium of Doom

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Ancient Unfinished Maps Compendium of Doom

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014, 18:56

Managed to play the unfinished remake of Chapel of the Elders yesterday.
Well ... err ... it's heavily unfinished and it feels that way (lagging in some areas)(no criticism in any way but I was left unsatisfied).
Visually it certainly is appealing and I'm sure it would have been lots better than average. Enemy placement (although too sparse) is good: I was really surprised twice.
Unfortunately I didn't get any story feeling and without a goal it was more of an exploration session than a mission. I also didn't really feel the non-linearity you mentioned but did see quite some dead-ends (probably the symptom of it being unfinished).

Teridax wrote:I wanted this one to have exploration and more non-linearity, but it just became too much for me. :shake:

What do you mean by that? Technically too hard? recahing the limits of the engine? or taking up too much time?

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014, 19:15

I guess I should have said how unfinished it was. Like my other unfinished maps in this thread, it's really an alpha version at best.
It was technically going to be four levels, with an intro map, this map, a boss map, and an outro map. I didn't get around to adding many translator messages or enemies.

What do you mean by that? Technically too hard? recahing the limits of the engine? or taking up too much time?

All of the above, sadly. For whatever reason, the node and poly counts are huge, and the map isn't even halfway done. I'm sure I would have reached non-227 Unreal's limits if I finished it. I'm not sure how I keep doing that, since even my Fifth Vortex map has the same problem (being a lot larger than it should be).

Thanks for taking a look, though. :)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014, 16:03

Curious about the original Chapel of the Elders I looked for it, found out it was in my Unreal/Maps directory so I must have played it before.
Started, recognised the layout (from playing "Reborn") but I cannot remember ever playing it. Needless to say I got surprised many times (and actually died twice :shy: ).
You took on a serious job trying to better the 'old' version. I can now understand what kind of problems you ran into.
I now wonder how that map ever got into my Unreal/maps directory without me playing it (which I consider a grave crime on my part).

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014, 01:40

You gave me feedback on the original, so you did play it. I'm not surprised that you don't remember it, I think it was pretty forgettable.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014, 10:06

Teridax wrote:You gave me feedback on the original, so you did play it. I'm not surprised that you don't remember it, I think it was pretty forgettable.

hmm ?

salsaSkaarj wrote:Cast my vote and this one comes in second place for me.

So it was an anniversary contest map and apparently I considered it one of the best entries.
Well, I can understand what I liked about it at that time (and now) but there is really a vast blank area in my brain concerning this map. You use the term "pretty forgettable" and I beg to differ in opinion (even though Alzheimer seems to reign in my brain): other posts about the map confirm that it far from forgettable.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014, 16:06

I guess I just tend to be really critical of it when I compare it to the levels I did in the Fifth Vortex.

Previous