ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Playing Unreal on the Oculus Rift

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar IanHead
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Playing Unreal on the Oculus Rift

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014, 11:38

Hello, all! I've been lurking on this forum every now and then for a couple of years, figured it's time to make myself known... :D

I was lucky enough to get my mitts on one of the Oculus Rift dev kits last year and tonight decided to see if I could get the original Unreal running on it to see how it goes. To my surprise, using the Vireio Perception driver and the D3D9 renderer with the OldUnreal patch works pretty bloody well!

More screenshots here.

After taking about 10 to 15 minutes to get used to it so far I've found the experience to be very, very immersive, and Unreal's gameplay (lots of exploration/atmosphere pieces and lighter emphasis on combat) is really well suited to playing in VR. Going for a stroll to the edge of the plank in SkyCaves was an absolute trip.

It's not perfect - the two main problems being the HUD/menus and the fact that looking around in Unreal has pitch and yaw, but no roll. Aiming by moving your head around also feels a tad weird and keeping the gun mesh in the same place on-screen kind of makes it feel like it's taped to the side of my noggin, but you get used to it quickly enough.

I've been playing for a couple of hours tonight taking screenshots, and find I have to take the headset off for a second to check my health and ammo, and translator text gets truncated off the edge of the screen with the OldUnreal patch. I intend to try and hack in some more Rift-friendly HUD at some point, though it's been literally the better part of a decade since I've touched UnrealEd. The bigger problem is a lack of roll in looking, so tilting your head can feel pretty disorienting. Something to work on, though.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Playing Unreal on the Oculus Rift

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014, 13:45

That's really cool! I think Z-enzyme has a "realistic camera" mod for 227 that makes the player view the world from the player model's head, so it would fix the problem with weapons feeling taped to your face and let you see the rest of your body.

What do you think it would take for the HUD to work with the OR? I have some experience with custom HUDs (a PS2 HUD for UT and a higher-resolution HUD for Resurgence), so I might be able to help if you want.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014, 14:26

That's awesome. Personally I'm waiting for commercial version or something with bigger resolution, but Oculus support would be nice very.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014, 18:30

all we need is that Nvidia Smellforce to fully immerse ourselves

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 07:06

That's mad stuff. We should get some mutators and hax to make this experience even better imo
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 10:55

I second that.

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 13:57

Would be amazing to have some Unreal-community coders put their heads together and make a good Oculus implementation for Unreal!

User avatar IanHead
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 03:27

AlCapowned wrote:That's really cool! I think Z-enzyme has a "realistic camera" mod for 227 that makes the player view the world from the player model's head, so it would fix the problem with weapons feeling taped to your face and let you see the rest of your body.

What do you think it would take for the HUD to work with the OR? I have some experience with custom HUDs (a PS2 HUD for UT and a higher-resolution HUD for Resurgence), so I might be able to help if you want.

Sounds good, I've had a look around for the mod you mentioned but didn't turn up anything, I'll PM him at some point.

Feel free to chip in with a HUD if you want! Honestly, it wouldn't take much to make the HUD/ubrowser work well with the headset. It just needs to be moved closer to the center of the screen, near to the crosshair. To illustrate (this shot taken at 1280x800px, the max resolution on the OR dev kits getting around at the moment):

The console here is all clearly readable with the headset on - the health and ammo counters can't be seen through the headset, the very edges of the screen aren't visible through the lenses. So at 1280x800 it's about a 400x400px area in the exact centre.

The font size is doubled too because the warping effect at this resolution starts cutting pixels (check the ammo counts in the corner). Not a problem for 3D objects, but it starts destroying text unless rendered nice and large.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 11:56

IanHead wrote:Sounds good, I've had a look around for the mod you mentioned but didn't turn up anything, I'll PM him at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUjn1t-Hk8
There's a link in the description :D

SZ

Themisto
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 17:01

Oh my god, i need this. who needs reality?

Gameite2260
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014, 03:05

SteadZ wrote:
IanHead wrote:Sounds good, I've had a look around for the mod you mentioned but didn't turn up anything, I'll PM him at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUjn1t-Hk8
There's a link in the description :D

SZ

Why does the link lead to a completely different mod?
Gameite; "Shit sounds like a fable to me", till he jumps out the fuckin toilet when you're takin a pee.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:18

Hey guys, this is gorgeous. You're running it in 227, you say?
As you'd imagine, everyone in this community fully supports you. An oculus-friendly HUD would work wonders with this. I wonder what other games are doing to solve the HUD problem... is there going to be a big movement of futuristic over-the-helmet displays, a no-interface movement? ohhhh I'm excited

And hey I'm in the process of making an adobe aftereffects filter that converts Oculus video to 3D anaglyph (red/cyan glasses specifically, they're the most accessible), so record some video for us, why don't you? :P
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:50

I completely forgot about this. I'll get started on the HUD today.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014, 07:02

Just found out that a couple of my mates pitched in and bought an oculus rift without telling me. Will definitely try to stop by and try unreal out on it
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014, 13:01

There were Rift dev kits at the science fair at my university last week but I missed out on it :( I'll wait for the consumer version I think

Next