Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[u1] Wasteland House ][

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: [u1] Wasteland House ][

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013, 23:46

Storyline:

It's just a house in the middle of nowhere right?

I wish it was just that.

You are a random faceless nobody, who after the nuclear holocaust has taken shelter in a
abandoned home in the endless outskirts of the wastes.

Whoever previously lived here seemed to have a hobby with radios and other communications devices,
which you of course fixed yourself after spending several weeks tinkering with them.

Soon you made friends with a band of wanderers, some of which are ex-military and they began to
transform the house into a "last beacon of hope" for civilization, the renovated basement being
their command HQ for this whole shebang.

Sadly not everyone agrees with your cause.

A band of raiders, criminal scum and other undesirables are planning to raid your poor little
house and kill all of you, loot the remains and set torch to everything else.

You have to make sure this doesn't happen.

Features:
  • Completely designed from scratch terrain and house.
  • Scripted texture radar to keep track of all enemies in the playing field. (Can be destroyed however)
  • Realistic weapons borrowing meshes from Serpentine, Infiltration, and Nights Edge.
  • Completely original music track. Featuring a ambient, tension and combat track in one module. (No really)
  • Battle endless waves of bandits until your eventual failure.
  • Co-op compatible. (Obviously)

When will it be released? When it's done of course.

And it will be done when it's done.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [u1] Wasteland House ][

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 00:04

awwwwww yeah \o/ that scripted texture radar sounds sweet...cant wait to see that.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 00:16

Just hope a terrorist with a RPG-7 doesn't get lucky and fires at the sensor array.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 00:21

That sounds... Interesting. It does!

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 02:02

Sounds like a great concept.

Got any preview screenies?

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 02:09

Nope, unless you want to see a map with beyond horrible BSP problems I'm still trying to work out.

I will have screenshots soon though once I correct the aforementioned issues and get a decent skybox going.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 06:58

The thread should be linked to Nalisavior.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 07:58

Interesting idea. It's got that Horde element, but the first thing that came to mind was that multiplayer level in the 1999 Aliens Versus Predator game where you and your buddies could try to hold out in that little safehouse at the end of that canyon map with the endlessly spawning aliens coming at you from all directions. But they always get in.

I'd like to think the non-coop version might have some more story-structured elements to it, but I suppose there's only so much that could be done. Survivor stories just kinda appeal to me.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 08:49

Mister_Prophet wrote:Interesting idea. It's got that Horde element, but the first thing that came to mind was that multiplayer level in the 1999 Aliens Versus Predator game where you and your buddies could try to hold out in that little safehouse at the end of that canyon map with the endlessly spawning aliens coming at you from all directions. But they always get in.

I'd like to think the non-coop version might have some more story-structured elements to it, but I suppose there's only so much that could be done. Survivor stories just kinda appeal to me.

HAHAHAHAHA Oh shit I remember that map. Thank you for reminding me about that Prophet... if only I could play that again with other people. Though my favorite was the one where you start out in a wrecked ship (which actually looked more like a ruined part of "The pods" from AVP 2) and you had to make your way to this armoured bunker to get weapons, ammo and armour. It was actually not safe to use the bunker as shelter because of the way the aliens just slip through the cracks and pounce you, the tactic me and my friends would use is just run around like wild circling the bunker occasionally ducking in for ammo.

On topic though; I plan for singleplayer purposes you're assisted by friendly NPC's (e.g. the wanderers you made friends with) so the player doesn't have to be alone for the onslaught up until the point said NPC's get shot in the face. I'm open for ideas if you want to help me put some actual singleplayer worth story into it.

EDIT: Wait reading your description of the map it sure sounds like what I just mentioned... in either case that really was a fun map for AVP 1.

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 09:10

Well let's see. How about kind of a "replenish" system where between waves you have have a limited period of time to leave the house and scavenge supplies around in the wasteland. This could be really simple or really complex, depending on what you're prepared to try. This could also add the potential to enlarge the story a bit, like having journal entries or perhaps a plotline built around those moments outside of the house. If there is to be no endpoint besides the player's death than this could be tricky, as it sounds more like a really cool multiplayer component or gametype than a singleplayer/coop project.

You planning on making parts of the house destroyable via enemy attacks/events? Also, I'm imagining like an Evil Dead styled cabin but I'm guessing the place is to be much larger?

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013, 09:40

Well the only thing destroyable is the sensor array dish. Once destroyed the scripted texture radar doesn't work. (and for added hilarity the monitor blows up, anyone around it will either instantly die or be severely injured from the blast)

I would try to make parts of the house destroyable but I have enough problems with BSP, and the way movers are lit would make the house light up all weirdly. It is not a bad idea though.

As for scavenging, inbetween waves you can run out and pickup whatever ammo and weapons the dead raiders left behind if you had killed them in the distance, the map itself is pretty small so there's nothing much other than a short stretch of wasteland and the house itself in the centre of it all. I could try to make it a bigger map but I don't want to run into GPF issues like the last map suffered from due to excessive lights.

Though for singleplayer making a set of maps to go about this would work if I could get something like Legacy where returning to the house doesn't just magically reset everything. Thus the whole map act's like a "hub" to several other levels.

EDIT: Even though this goes against my ways I'm putting up a few crappy screenshots.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

It shouldn't come off as a surprise that the map itself, is quite small.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013, 03:13

Suggestions pasted from conversation over Steam as per Draco Nihil's request.

Overall I have very positive feelings about this but I'd see more horror feel rather than some terrorist assholes having to attack the player.

1. The tiling of the texture on the ground is off. I'd stretch it a bit, maybe. Or make a texture 2x the size or choose one that tiles more seamlessly. Looks like a series of bright spots. The texture has a visible bright circle in it - darken it and it'll look better already.

2. Also, I believe Proph's suggestion is grand: make more stuff destroyable. Walls, windows... give the monsters option to try breaking into the house, to make the feel complete.

3. I think that for SP version you could use friendly marines from RySpak (I think they're from there at least) - it'd be fun to have marines as bot pals, dunno why I feel this way (just fan of the UMS overall I think). You mentioned an smarine playerpawn of yours - the player could use it for the full feel. Player marine, supporters also marines. Grand.

4. Also. the landscape feels empty - maybe a dried dead tree here and there? I remember seeing the meshes somewhere.

5. Realistic weapons are a good idea but I think there should be a chainsaw too. Maybe the one from UT (UTWeapons boasts all guns from UT, including the chainsaw). IDK, always when people are trapped in desolate houses, if the screenplay guys mean business, they add a chainsaw.

6. I am planning to have my modelling teammate make a skeleton nali enemy, based on the RTNP decoration. You could add these for example if you wish to wait for them. Like the Book with no Name or many a zombie horror.

7. Also, may I recommend adding an option of a finite amount of rounds for people who want to win no matter what. The last round would be so-called breakout round. An evac vehicle would arrive by air or by river if you add one and you'd have to break through to it. This final wave would've been endless as in: no pauses but more and more enemies coming and you MUST escape because you can't hold on any longer.

8. Also, crappy Skybox actually isn't crappy. If you can, make the cloud movement speed up a bit with each wave so that the last wave is really frantic, like in these horror movies when an old deity is about to show up.

I'm wondering if I should have a distant ruined city visible in the skybox.

No, that clouded dark sky is perfecly enough - a ruin, even in the distance, would ruin (sic!) the feel of "middle of nowhere"; i1f you have distinct landmarks even in distance, it ain't the middle of nowhere anymore.

The sky is going to be yellowish, something to look like being in a polluted wasteland.

What makes you think polluted wasteland has yellowish sky? Sky of a polluted wasteland would be exactly that - dark. Why? Because most forms of pollution shit stuff into the atmosphere making light less easy to come by and thus everything darker.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013, 03:23

Delacroix wrote:2. Also, I believe Proph's suggestion is grand: make more stuff destroyable. Walls, windows... give the monsters option to try breaking into the house, to make the feel complete.
Doors can be permanently destroyed. A terrorist armed with a shotgun or explosive will beable to utterly destroy the door, otherwise they will retort to bashing it until the door eventually is forced open. Though when forced open it is trivial to close and lock it again.

However parts of the house being destroyable will cause anomalies when trying to light the map, so I'll have to experiment to see if I can avoid said anomalies, that way terrorists with RPG-7's can really ruin your day apart from just launching at the sensory array and thus taking your "eyes" out.

Delacroix wrote:3. I think that for SP version you could use friendly marines from RySpak (I think they're from there at least) - it'd be fun to have marines as bot pals, dunno why I feel this way (just fan of the UMS overall I think). You mentioned an smarine playerpawn of yours - the player could use it for the full feel. Player marine, supporters also marines. Grand.
If Leo and for that matter Mr.Paci don't mind me looking over some of the code, then I'll make use of portions and give credit where credit is due. However I already have something in mind for AI helpers.

Delacroix wrote:a ruin, even in the distance, would ruin (sic!) the feel of "middle of nowhere"; i1f you have distinct landmarks even in distance, it ain't the middle of nowhere anymore.
Yeah you got me there. It was really a toss up behind remaking some of the ShaneSky textures to actually putting terrain in the skybox. I think I'm going to go with the former because the last thing I need is BSP errors in a skybox.

Delacroix wrote:What makes you think polluted wasteland has yellowish sky? Sky of a polluted wasteland would be exactly that - dark. Why? Because most forms of pollution shit stuff into the atmosphere making light less easy to come by and thus everything darker.
Well if you seen Wasteland house 1 (which is utter crap by the way), it kinda fit for the sky to look all yellow and crap. Though honestly I might not go this path when I start looking into ShaneSky a little.

I plan to make a day\night system for the map too using the environment thing Pravin programmed for beaglebone but that hinges on the fact I can get the dynamic lighting to work without causing GPF's

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013, 04:27

I like the design choice for the house exterior and the slope of the roof, but have you thought of a way to include some kind of balcony or even a kind of makeshift crows nest? It might be cool to have some kind of sniping spot, maybe even as a fallback. But that depends on what you plan to do. It's also hard to gauge dimensions (the player in the one pick was a nice touch in terms of size comparison) but I'm trying to imagine what the inside will look like. Are you thinking like a floor-to-floor type thing?

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013, 04:54

It's a usual two floor house, the basement typical of most except populated with various computers, electronic devices, supplies, etc.

Yes there will be a balcony, two actually one on each side of the house. (as weird as that might sound) So they will be spots for sniping but incredibly risky to use.

I'm still imagining the interior so it'll be awhile until I get some more shots or the actual map for test play.

Next