Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

is UNREAL 2 allowed here?

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar PromiserOfDeath
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: is UNREAL 2 allowed here?

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 14:37

We are talking about Unreal 2 versus Unreal 1. UT2004s story came Later and is apart of the Tournament Franchise also the SP in UT2004 is a Tournament based SP it has no Connection to to the Discussion.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 14:57

Nope. But if i am allowed to do, I want review some UT2004 SP thingy.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 15:13

makemeunreal wrote:Nope. But if i am allowed to do, I want review some UT2004 SP thingy.

I say let him. It's not like the site is gonna suddenly get flooded with a 100 UT2004 SPs.

As for UT... we already review SP stuff of that game that has nothing to do story-wise with Unreal 1 (see Spatial Fear). I don't see how UT2004/UT3 would be much more of a step.
StalwartUK

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 18:46

Even ignoring the fact the editor was near-unusable for many people (and if the game had drawn enough interest fixes would have probably came pretty rapidly anyway). Unreal 2 probably had very little attempted with it simply because there's little you can do with it; most enemies have almost no depth to their design and are made to be trivialised by certain weapons E.G. Drakk=EMP, Spiders=Flamethrower/shotgun, among others. The player's incredibly slow speed also feeds into this as there's little that can be done with projectiles or dynamic combat arenas as a result. The only enemies that I could see having much interesting done with them are Izarians (their mobility could be interesting with the right level design) and the various varieties of (Wo)man With Gun, which is the most played out FPS enemy archetype, and it's not like U2's AI is anything notable.

I know Tygra released a U2 SP pack, the actual gameplay isn't as unplayable as Unreality but from what I recall the level design was mostly incredibly boring walking across massive terrain areas.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 18:49

Drakk could be amazing enemies to use in Unreal very easily. Anything Drakk was great.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 19:06

In terms of atmosphere, environmental storytelling and setting the Drakk homeworld is probably my favourite part of Unreal 2 (with the possible exception of Sulpheron or the Dam level) but I'm not sure how well the Drakk combat would hold up outside of the context they are presented in the game, with their flight I can see them having potential though, which is more than I can say for most of the rest.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 22:37

Maybe we could try importing the Drakk into Unreal'99 universe? Whaddya say?

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 23:14

IIRC AlCapowned made a tutorial for turning U2 models into Unreal-compatible meshes.

Edit: Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2313

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 23:47

Say what you will about U2...
...the Skaarj were very cool!

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013, 06:14

StalwartUK wrote:
makemeunreal wrote:Nope. But if i am allowed to do, I want review some UT2004 SP thingy.

I say let him. It's not like the site is gonna suddenly get flooded with a 100 UT2004 SPs.

As for UT... we already review SP stuff of that game that has nothing to do story-wise with Unreal 1 (see Spatial Fear). I don't see how UT2004/UT3 would be much more of a step.
This is my topic, and I think it would be very nice to have UT2004 SP maps too!. the graphics on either is very nice to see compared to unreal1. I've played unreal1 and UT1 maybe hundreds of times with various SP maps, and it would be a nice change to get maps with near life like graphics which can't be done on Unreal1 and UT1.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013, 09:21

Current plans are to expand UnrealSP coverage to all singleplayer efforts on Unreal-related platforms, be it single-player UDK games, SP UT2004 mods like Out of Hell and others.

However this raises the question of how we are going to handle reviews and the review schema; if the same schema is used, how to rate mods from differing engines against each other, if at all?

Stuff worth thinking about.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013, 12:36

Should be the traditional schema for traditional Unreal and UT SP mappage, with a separate page or pages for everything else. It'd be weird after all these years of UnrealSP to suddenly see random UDK games popping up in the review list next to One day, Tower of shrakitha, 7Bullets etc.

I'm not opposed to reviews of stuff like the ball and other unreal engine things. as long as everything is organised nicely. A Grouping by engine with a different schema for each engine would probably be the best.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013, 12:38

Where's still my Mental Asylum review
ImageImage

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013, 14:15

"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 01:49

sana wrote:Current plans are to expand UnrealSP coverage to all singleplayer efforts on Unreal-related platforms, be it single-player UDK games, SP UT2004 mods like Out of Hell and others.

However this raises the question of how we are going to handle reviews and the review schema; if the same schema is used, how to rate mods from differing engines against each other, if at all?

Stuff worth thinking about.
you couldn't begin to rate unreal1 or ut1 mods against UT2003 or UT2004 mods. it wouldn't be fair at all. they'd have to be rated against close matches, like Unreal2, UT2003, and UT2004 rated against each other. those are modern engines, with great graphics. this will be very good, if a new map isn't available for one engine, the odds are increased that at least one new mod is there to play. I hear some mappers say they want to use a modern engine, here's the chance!.

Previous Next