ividyon will never get this done, will he.

MyLevel Problem

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: MyLevel Problem

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008, 23:32

I fear I may have lost a days work. I've been using a few MyLevel textures on Amnesiac & now when I open it in UEd I get a blank grid as if it's missing a package.

Starting it up in-game gives you this message:
Failed Launching URL. Failed to find object 'Level.None.MyLevel'

& the log says this:

Log: New File, Existing Package (Package MyLevel, Package AM-02)
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport0
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport1
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport2
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport3
Log: Matched Viewport MeshViewer
Log: Matched Viewport TextureBrowser
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: U2Viewport2
Log: BspValidateBrush linked 0 of 0 polys
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: 0.0ms Unloading: Package Render
Log: 0.0ms Unloading: Package MyLevel
Log: Garbage: objects: 41764->41727; refs: 502503
>

I've tried loading up all the MyLevel textures first then loading the map but I get the same results. I've never had any trouble with them in the past. Is there any hope of getting round this or will I have to redo the lost work?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:40

Can you tell from that what's missing? ("AM-02"?)

If so, you could always trying importing / creating the same content by the same name in a new map, then opening the problematic map file. I don't know for sure whether that'd work, but it might be worth a go.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar fashahhh

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:42

Hellscrag wrote:Can you tell from that what's missing? ("AM-02"?)

If so, you could always trying importing / creating the same content by the same name in a new map, then opening the problematic map file. I don't know for sure whether that'd work, but it might be worth a go.

'AM-02' is the current map name. I've already tried re-importing all of the mylevel textures but it's just not having it :/ .

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:52

On second thoughts, it almost looks like it can't find the map file. UT sometimes behaves in a similar way when there are spaces in the file path. Is there anything funny about the name of your map file, or the folders that it is in, that you may have introduced over the course of the last day?

Alternatively, does the name of the map file conflict with any other packages in your UT folders?

I don't really know what else to suggest. It would also be worth checking the size of the map file against your recent backups, in case the file is obviously corrupted or truncated.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:54

This happened to me once with Xidia.

Something about accidentally saving a MyLevel file instead of the map triggers this kind of thing. It also could be caused by using a stacked MyLevel file from a previously loaded map (which is always a bad thing to do when you edit. Never open two maps with their own MyLevel files in one session, unless you know what you're doing) and somehow incorporating it into the level by mistake.

It can also be caused by adding certain properties to your MyLevel textures and saving the map. In RD I had this problem recently by adding a broken sound to a Mylevel texture's footstep slot and the map never reopened again.

I always get around this by keeping an active supply of temporary versions that I save after changing things, especially whenever MyLevel gets involved. It's really better to have more than one current version than a single map file. Just in case.

In all likelihood my dude, you may not be able to get the map to reopen properly. You might have to just grin and bare it. I know it sucks to lose progress, I really do. I've had to start entire maps over because of this kind of crap.
:(

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:56

"Backup early, backup often"

By the sounds of this, fashahhh has already been doing this if only a day's work has been lost. It could have been much worse.

TIP: Don't save over your backup when you reopen it, in case the problem happens again!

User avatar fashahhh

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 01:10

Cheers guys, looks like there's no hope to get it open but luckily I did make a backup yesterday & it works thank god. Lost a bit but sometimes I think redoing something can be fairly quick as during the first attempt you're trying to think how to do it or where to put it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 01:13

Don't you have autosaves turned on?

User avatar fashahhh

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 01:17

Mman wrote:Don't you have autosaves turned on?

Not that I know of. Didn't know you could have them in-editor.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 01:48

Go to your Unreal advanced options, then "editor", then "advanced" and the option is there, plus you can set the time to save (I leave it on ten, but it's up to your preferences). It saves as separate, numbered, saves so it doesn't intrude on your own saving at all.

I order you to do that now :P .

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 14:14

Mman wrote:Go to your Unreal advanced options, then "editor", then "advanced" and the option is there, plus you can set the time to save (I leave it on ten, but it's up to your preferences). It saves as separate, numbered, saves so it doesn't intrude on your own saving at all.

That's a great tip! :tup: :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar fashahhh

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 14:16

You learn something new about UEd everyday, cheers :tup:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 14:41

Have you tried seeing if Autoplay.unr (saved every time you launch a map from within UED) is functional and more updated?

User avatar fashahhh

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 15:54

Waffnuffly wrote:Have you tried seeing if Autoplay.unr (saved every time you launch a map from within UED) is functional and more updated?

No didn't try that, it's just loading the backed up version now as I was testing it earlier :/ . I've redone most of it now, seem to be doing it twice as quick as yesterday now I know exactly what I'm doing. It's still a ballache tho!

User avatar Lone Wolf
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 14:33

Mman wrote:Go to your Unreal advanced options, then "editor", then "advanced" and the option is there, plus you can set the time to save (I leave it on ten, but it's up to your preferences). It saves as separate, numbered, saves so it doesn't intrude on your own saving at all.

Kool I wish I had know about that. It would have saved me some headaches.

LW
My little corner of the net
www.lone-wolfs-den.com Stop by the farm and see what we are up to.
www.the-farm.lone-wolfs-den.com