Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Unreal Development Kit Section

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 22:03

That Kismet seems hard for me, just to make a mover is a lot of work.but it does do a lot more than our old mover, including the nice mesh you can make or use.

This stuff is really getting advanced, while comparing the way things are done in regular old Unreal~UT.
It's hard for me to understand what a new feature even is.New jargon, new art, foliage, all the physics, and working the editor.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 22:30

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:Also enjoy your lack of UScript!

Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? Moving away from a "proprietary" scripting language and into an actual widely-used programming language? I'm foggy on this but it sounds like a good step in my head.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 22:36

Waffnuffly wrote:

Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? Moving away from a "proprietary" scripting language and into an actual widely-used programming language? I'm foggy on this but it sounds like a good step in my head.

Yes and no in my opinion. C++ is faster than UnrealScript (Not 100% on that, will let casey confirm) but with it being a lower level language, It's naturally more complex.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 22:38

Graphics are at the point where more improvement doesn't mean much to me, but the editing improvements are really exciting to me; it seems like the workflow of editors this generation couldn't keep up with the heavy increase in detail expected, which led to a lot of budgeting disasters. I thought next-gen would be a car-crash as expectations rise even higher, but if workflow intuitiveness/efficiency has been worked on as much as that video suggests (along with videos for other upcoming engines that I've seen) then it might be much smoother sailing even despite the higher standards expected.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 22:39

Yeah, C++ is faster, that's why advanced physics is done in C++. Great tool, I'm really looking forward to work with it :)
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

diamond

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012, 10:52

This is not the only thing they can share with us.
They have really cool tools for studios which they don't share like UDK, because they are essentially plugins for 3rd party products:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64wpXowpvIU
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012, 18:32

Not keen on the switch to c++ tbh.

personally i think it should be a level which is available if you need it, and there should be some sort of declarative version of uscript which is where the majority of game programming takes place (which would pretty much just be a text based version of kismet as far as i can tell). Sure cpp is a great language, but i don't want to have to worry about memory leaks, pointers, preprocessors, weakly typed macros, different compilers and other super imperative bullshit when I know that I am programming a game, on a standardised engine.

At the same time it means you can pull in super complicated libraries (simulation software and helper libraries) extremely easily, which is never a bad thing.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012, 19:15

I'm sure that Kismet is a neat replacement for UnrealScript once you get used to it. I haven't used that kind of system yet, and I am somewhat afraid of touching the UDK due to the lack of finished framework content to work with, but I'm sure that it's a fine thing once you get used to it. Also Kismet means that you aren't forced to code cpp to create game logic.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012, 07:10

Waffnuffly wrote:

My resume currently lists 6 or so years experience in unrealscript. Yeah...

whoops..

Although, native coding is strictly better for speed.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012, 06:53

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:
Waffnuffly wrote:

My resume currently lists 6 or so years experience in unrealscript. Yeah...

whoops..

Although, native coding is strictly better for speed.

Isn't it the same though really ?It would seem to me if you can figure things out in uscript, isn't C++ just different syntax, but has a lot more you can just add to the programing.?

In other words, pure example here since I only know a tiny bit.
But say 2 plus 2, or get a char,
How much different can it be between uscript or C++

It all looks the same to me, lol, Java looks messed up from the others though.
Just ban everyone

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012, 09:01

redeye wrote:Isn't it the same though really ?It would seem to me if you can figure things out in uscript, isn't C++ just different syntax, but has a lot more you can just add to the programing.?

In other words, pure example here since I only know a tiny bit.
But say 2 plus 2, or get a char,
How much different can it be between uscript or C++

It all looks the same to me, lol, Java looks messed up from the others though.

Simple example:

Code: Select all

FString S(TEXT("Nedm"));

vs

local String S;

S = "Nedm";

But that's really nothing. The lack of docs, examples, everything.. it makes it nearly impossible to do without crash spamming. It's total crap.

Then there's linker errors, pointers, buffer overflows.. all kinds of new shit you need to worry about. I suspect however the UE4 stuff may not have linker errors, because it may not allow you to import C++ libs.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012, 12:51

Why can't they just use Haskell :P I'd mod the fuck out of everything if that were the case
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012, 19:49

wow, well just start with the kismet thing I guess, wish I knew programing.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012, 22:27

General question: is there much you can do with UScript that you can't do with Kismet? Maybe they are ditching it so that people will use Kismet more and C++ only if they really need it?

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012, 02:17

Every time I see these "easy" things, sure you can do all sorts of stuff with what they give you, like a prefab button you can insert, all kinds of other pre defined things like a block diagram.

Then if you want, you can open the chunk of the diagram , or make a new blank one, then start typing code to change that chunk.I think it's all like that now.

I have no clue, but lets say a chunk "skarj runs" ok but you want it to run around fast, then slow.I think the kismet will do it all, until you want it to do a non stock thing, libraries ? it won't be part of what they give you.

I suppose you can always make things harder, unless you know how to program things to work different.

Well from what I did, just a mover and i did some trigger stuff, the way they make it easy just confuses me even more.in kismet.
Just ban everyone

Previous Next