Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[RELEASED] Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Sadistic Fungus
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 09:21

I don't know what all the griping is about. The fact that a classic like Illhaven is coming back and being made by the original author is awesome!

-Fungus

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 19:26

Very disappointed to see all the negativity on this thread. Delighted that Illhaven is making a return. Please show the man some respect.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 06:00

I'm not sceptical in any way. Delighted by the news! It's just that Kew seems to speak from a very high horse. Kind of disappointing that a mapping legend like Kew comes across as such :(

But yes, bring on the awesomeness! I'm sure we all look forward to it regardless of scepticism :D
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 07:00

I have had enough of this nonsense.

Kew

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 10:24

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I'm not sceptical in any way. Delighted by the news! It's just that Kew seems to speak from a very high horse. Kind of disappointing that a mapping legend like Kew comes across as such :(

No, the only disappointment lies in the fact that you do not properly read. If you did, you would have noticed that Kew only referred to "Kew" in third person in either an emote/action description context or when talking about Illhaven's player character. In addition, he has been very polite in our e-mail exchange as well as throughout this entire thread.

I believe apologies are in order. :/
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 12:47

TheIronKnuckle wrote:It's just that Kew seems to speak from a very high horse. Kind of disappointing that a mapping legend like Kew comes across as such :(

Maybe because, he's not used to post in forums and such I guess?
But yeah you guys can stop with this crap now.
ImageImage

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 15:35

Kew formulates his posts in a non colloquial way and that might appear elitist to some people.
Last edited by Psychomorph on 21 May 2012, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 21:56

To all criticists:

Let me say to your goddamn faces what I think. I think Kew, a mapper, is an artist. Most content creators are artists. Artists' minds work different than regular minds, they word their thoughts in a different way and as much as it may prove unusual to us commoners... it is not our goddamn place to criticize that. People like Kew provide us stuff to play, to admire, to... immerse in. To top it off, over a decade later they come back to expand and update their work -- and maybe in future, provide more. And what reception they meet with? TIK, PCube... Think. Think, goddamnit, before you scare valuable people off.

Kew... for what it's worth, you have my blessing.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Pcube
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 22:51

I would like to point out that my original comment was without slanderous intent. It was a numerical expression that originated from my misunderstanding of Kew's impressive resume.

I apologize for any inadvertant misunderstanding this may have caused.

Kew, I hope that you will continue to work on your map pack for the benefit of the community & Unreal itself. Many people will be disappointed if you give up on this. Please reconsider for them.

Edit: I have updated my "foes" list, Del.
Coder/Mapper for the UDHQ Development Team

Check out the latest in Unreal 1 Development at the Unreal Development Headquarters -- Bringing new and exciting content to Unreal for over 5 years!
The UDHQ Website

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 23:23

*Removed - if Kew gets the quote-removal treatment, so should Pcube (I wish he wasn't right).*

Delacroix wrote:To all criticists:

Let me say to your goddamn faces what I think. I think Kew, a mapper, is an artist. Most content creators are artists. Artists' minds work different than regular minds, they word their thoughts in a different way and as much as it may prove unusual to us commoners... it is not our goddamn place to criticize that. People like Kew provide us stuff to play, to admire, to... immerse in. To top it off, over a decade later they come back to expand and update their work -- and maybe in future, provide more. And what reception they meet with? TIK, PCube... Think. Think, goddamnit, before you scare valuable people off.

Kew... for what it's worth, you have my blessing.

No one here has posted criticisms about Kew's work. Since we're not all talking in person, you can't blame anyone for missing Kew's tone. Maybe they're right, and maybe they're not. Stuff like this happens all of the time.
Besides, where was that attitude of yours when Lightning Hunter released RTNP: UE?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new Illhaven. The screenshots look great, and it'll probably be even more fun to play.
Last edited by AlCapowned on 31 May 2012, 18:48, edited 4 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 23:28

I hope there will be only talk about the project from the NEXT post.
I suggest removal of crap if the nonsense continues.

sana: Good call. I'd rather not have this escalate any further, so please return to discussion of the Illhaven project!
ImageImage

User avatar Rob_KC
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 08:59

Fuckin' A. Can't wait for this project to be released! Any idea as to when we can be expecting this, Kew?

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 19:04

I have been working on the story line in Illhaven Market Town. I hope the links to two
additional screenshots work since I am not too familiar with html. If the pics work,
they give some hint at the story.....

Kew

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 19:26

Looking good. Was there anything in particular you drew your architectural inspiration from, or just a lot of (I'm guessing) 16th century stuff?

Invictus
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 21 May 2012, 19:32

Delacroix wrote: I think Kew, a mapper, is an artist. Most content creators are artists. Artists' minds work different than regular minds, they word their thoughts in a different way

I agree and from what I've read Kew is new to using forum systems altogether which makes it even more complicated to communicate directly toward the artist. Although all stock textures are used in the last screenshots geometry, a keen eye can see that the way those textures are used on the geometry are extremely well put together and go to a level beyond their original purpose for stock unreal levels. The building layout is unlike anything I've seen done in any Unreal stock levels. Very reminiscent of "The Tower of Shrakith'a"
Bravo.

Previous Next