Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Unreal Development Kit Section

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 21:02

Taz wrote:And that's the trouble. How many around are going to have the time and resources available to create their own new game, with its own monsters, weapons etc, as opposed to just a simple game level/map?

Certainly not me. Which is why I'm going back to good old Unreal/UT mapping. Until I make my first million so I can organize and financially support a team for making a new game using UDK (fat hope :rolleyes: ).

LOTS of people. You DO realize the UDK isn't just aimed at the Unreal community, right? Don't be so narrow-minded. This is a business move on Epic's part (and a very generous one at that; it really seriously helps out indie devs - look at Hawken), not a mod SDK for the Unreal games.

It also isn't expensive to form a team and make a game for the UDK. It costs only as much time and energy as it takes to find people you want to work with. Once I finish EXU2, I'm going to be working with some people on a UDK game for sure.

And on top of that, you get to keep your first $50,000 before you pay a penny to Epic in royalties! This is a REALLY good deal compared to the alternative of building the entire engine yourself, which is something that few can manage to do as well as Epic, especially in a short enough time span to stay relevant.

The only people complaining about UDK are the ones who have no idea what it's for/how it works/how to use it and/or have this weird entitlement complex that a game developer should spend tons of time and energy to release free mod SDKs for people who just are interested in hobby projects. That's not what the UDK is made for.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011, 04:59

"That's not what the UDK is made for"

and thats why it sux.
They should be ashamed of themselves ditching all the people who used the first editors.
and
bought the game (s)
and
ran the servers
and
made web sites
and
all other things that made them rich.

I and the rest ARE entitled, it's in there best interest to make them even MORE FUCKING RICH !!! got that ! ?

end of fucking statement.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011, 05:05

To Waff:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that no one should use UDK.

If there are indeed people around who have the time and resources for creating their own game using UDK, they have my best wishes. :tup: As for me, I've already had enough trouble figuring out the ins and outs of making a map in Unreal/UT, let alone even one line of Unrealscript or creating a single 3D weapon, player or decorative mesh, or even creating a whole friggin' game. Maybe one day I'll get around to trying that. Maybe...

User avatar Taz

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011, 05:10

To redeye:

If there are people who want to play with UDK, let them. We'll just go back to making fun maps and mods in Unreal/UT/UT2k4/UT3.

It takes all sorts to make a world. \o/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011, 10:56

July beta out now with a new showcase

http://www.udk.com/news-beta-july2011.html
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011, 21:10

September Beta out

ImageThe September UDK Beta is live featuring a number of niceties, including:

• UDK Game support for Mac OS
  • New tools for Foliage instance selection and editing
  • Multi Display support for iOS
  • Many other improvements and tons of updated UDK pages

One of the neatest things is this showcase item. Epic Games' Senior Technical Artist Jordan Walker made excellent use of the UE3 DirectX 11 feature set to recreate (Street Fighter II) E. Honda's bath house. His work took first place in the 'Stage' category of Polycount's Brawl Tournament.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011, 01:36

On October 4, Epic’s founder and technical director, Tim Sweeney, revealed Unreal Engine 3 running in Flash onstage at Adobe MAX 2011.

Our brand new Unreal Insider blog details how Epic updated “Unreal Tournament 3” with global illumination, god rays and improved shadowing to bring world-class 3D gaming to the Web.

Like our recently announced Unreal Engine 3 Mac support, Flash support continues our push to bring Unreal everywhere, increasing the audience and revenue potential for developers using our technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywh9KJ7a_Bk

Oh... My... God...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011, 12:13

ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 15:32

ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 16:10

UBerserker wrote:http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/08/unreal-engine-4-tech-demo-video-shows-next-gen-engine-in-action/

holy shit

http://www.unrealengine.com/unreal_engine_4

Holy SHIT

HOLY SHIT

GHOFGJOGKHREML
E"WV
'wmev'
jre'
lvm ;'lMC
LM #:MD
!L@#FJM:KLFM#lr
lerf
;lmerb;lm

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IS AMAZING. This makes SO MANY THINGS SO INCREDIBLY EASY.

Did you see that? DID YOU SEE WHAT HE DID WITH THE LIGHTING? THAT WOULD TAKE ME AN HOUR ON UE1. Did you see how he compiled the code WHILE HE WAS PLAYING THE GAME ****AND IT UPDATED IN REALTIME INGAME (WHICH WAS RUN FROM THE EDITOR IN SIMULATION MODE WITHOUT EVER EVEN LAUNCHING THE GAME ITSELF)**** ?!??!r.f3; v
D"
@P!JOFIH#nk

magic.

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 20:09

Kinda makes you feel that you're in the stone age with UEd 1 using rudimentary tools..... But I still love ya UE1! :)

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 20:13

Waffnuffly wrote:magic.

Dude... Totally...

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 20:23

these features are pretty much removal of a few checks for GIsEditor and allowing an overlay of a new script execution state, theoretically possible in UE1, but would need way too much fine tuning for the script state to work.. might take a while too

Also enjoy your lack of UScript!

edit: And enjoy the lack of a good game that allows you to even open the editor.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 21:02

By the way this shiny stuff will be made available for UDK as a separate release.
ImageImage

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012, 21:49

I'll miss uscript :< Looking forward to using C++ properly in a game now instead of staring at the public headers for hours on end with my head on a side like a confused dog.

Maybe UEngine 4 stuff should have its own thread?

Previous Next