A random sentence for a random mind.

And now for something completely different!

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

FraGnBraG
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: And now for something completely different!

Post Posted: 25 May 2011, 18:47

bad news for me, if the contest is not extended (and it might not be) I won't finish even a very hacked down playable version of this map by June 2. So I guess I'm officially out of the contest. Time is my enemy, I need several hours still to complete some important rooms and do sound, and a very simple AI.

I am going to keep going with it though, since the ship plan is done (it just a matter of keeping at it until all the work is done). So it really is a matter of time. All is not lost, though, once I am out of the contest, I can proceed with the project at my own pace, and use custom content and scripting.

This has definitely been a learning experience for me, not having ever designed a Single player campaign before, I can say I have one in development - much writing, drawings, and gameplay planning has been done already, four maps worth, and this (first map) is really looks the part - Just not finished enough for releasing, I'd rather not skimp on it.

Maybe I can release a short "demo" or "beta" version if I can find some hours to map between now and June 2, but even that does not look possible...

Good Luck to everyone who remains...

FnB
Last edited by FraGnBraG on 25 May 2011, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 25 May 2011, 18:51

Based on the votes so far and people's opinions on it I think it's pretty much guaranteed the contest will be extended.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 26 May 2011, 17:03

Dunno if 2 weeks are going to be enough tho.. specially with all the school stuff going on for people...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 26 May 2011, 18:38

Lets extend it to the 1st of September :P

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011, 16:40

started working on gameplay stuff (lol, with just 10 days to go :P) crossing fingers some ideas will work, if do I get into trouble I'll just fill the ship with monsters and call it a "demo" (or something like that) and finish it properly after the contest closes...

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011, 14:31

Well I gave it a shot but unfortunately will miss the deadline - just have to many bugs and unfinished bits to make any kind of release :(
Summer's a bad time for me (mapping) I just have very little available time... I wouldn'y win anyways, but I'll keep with the "rules" anyways until the map is done, which might be in the next month or two... Good luck to you all.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011, 15:27

From my experience with releases in the Unreal community that are delayed "until the map is done" I'll say this: Are you sure you wouldn't rather wrap up the project in time and release it as is? You can always refine and release a v2 entry after the contest is through, taking all time you need to polish it, but this way you'll give the judges something to work with. :shy: It'd be a shame to lose this.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011, 00:34

sana wrote:... wrap up the project in time and release it as is?

That's not possible, there's simply too much to wrap up - I have to be happy with the results. Anyways, I have some surprises in there that will be spoiled if I show it prematurely.

sana wrote:You can always refine and release a v2 entry after the contest is through, taking all time you need to polish it, but this way you'll give the judges something to work with. :shy:
well that was the plan, but I didn't get to the point where I feel I can do that :(

sana wrote:... It'd be a shame to lose this.

you won't lose this because I want to finish this map, and then the other two after that...

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011, 02:06

Looks like there will be precious few entries this year

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011, 03:48

Well I'm back (kinda) - I start vacation next week so maybe I can work on this thing... not too sure what to do next though, should I open a new thread for the "post-contest" project?

I would like to thank everyone here who expressed interest and provided feedback and support during my (failed) effort, so thanks :tup: I have now downloaded all the contest maps and have played a few - the one with the pyramids and the little island. Those were two extremes I wanted to see first off (biggest and smallest) once I'm finished with them all I'll read the reviews and maybe post some comments (I want to play them for the first time unbiased) I am now quite annoyed with myself for not releasing *something*, even if just the intromap fwiw :/

Anyways, Good job to all and thanks again :)

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011, 10:50

Yes in your postion I would make a new thread in the 'Projects in Production' subforum and linking to that in the first post. Or perhaps a staff member can move this thread. But I don't think many people will notice this thread, if it stays in the 10th Anniversary Archive.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011, 12:46

It's a better idea to make a new thread in the PiP forum. This thread contains a lot of outdated info and posts relating to the contest, which the project isn't really connected with anymore, so you might as well start afresh! But if you want, I can move this thread instead. Your choice.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011, 18:26

And,what will win the contests winner? :)
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011, 18:55

makemeunreal wrote:And,what will win the contests winner? :)

Wait, what? I don't get the question. Do you mean "What does the contest winner win?" or "Who wins the contest winner?" Either way this looks to be in the wrong thread.
Go to this page to see contest information including the prizes.

Previous