A random sentence for a random mind.

[v2.8] [released] UT PS2 Characters

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: [v2.8] [released] UT PS2 Characters

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 19:54

This is a pack of characters from the Playstation 2 version of Unreal Tournament.

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler

Requirements: UT v436, Bonus Packs 1 and 4 (Advanced Model Support is included)

Download links:

Moddb:http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament/addons/ps2-characters-v25
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6zwidvi3i1mz92h/UT_PS2_Characters_v2_8.zip/file

Beta skins: http://www.mediafire.com/?yarirj9equhx1m4

Old Post Updates:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by AlCapowned on 20 Aug 2018, 13:01, edited 23 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [WIP] UT PS2 Characters

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 20:17

Man the Necris Male model is great. But aside those, no other models were different AFAIK, with the sole exception of the normal Skaarj Hybrids (that had different anims). Then there's Dominator who works as a UT Skaarj Hybrids (same anims) but with a model of his own.
And Damien... so weird that the skin isn't attached to the model. He's basically the best human male model for Unreal ever made.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 20:43

Yeah, I was disappointed about Damien, too. The thumbnail for his .max file shows him with his skin, but it's not very visible.

There are some differences in a few of the other models, like the female commando. That model has different shoulder pads, and the backpack thing that the PC version has is missing. The Warboss has different hands, and the spikes on his wrists are gone.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 20:47

Wow I never noticed the Female commando missing the backpack, but I knew that the Warboss had slightly different hands (they were orange instead of blue).
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 21:14

Those characters look pretty cool. Especialy the Necris one.

A conversion of the War Machine model already exists. Looks like a cross of the male soldier and warboss models.

Also weren't all the PS2 models animated skeletally? All the original UT (and bonus pack 1) models used vertex animation. Unreal (minus 227 I think) does not support skeletal animation to my knowledge.
StalwartUK

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 22:08

I know about the PS2 War Machine, but the PS2 Warboss (at least the one I have) is kind of different. It's skin wouldn't work on the PS2 War Machine's model, because that model uses the same skin as the PC War Machines.

I've been using 3ds Max to rig the models and fix their UVW maps, so I could use ActorX to export the skeletal mesh to a vertex mesh. I did the same thing to convert the regular Warboss to Unreal, and it worked well.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 23:17

Every PS2 character model used skeletal animations, including the Skaarj Hybrids (they also had hairlocks).
Man, if I'll ever see the day of being able to play as Boss Dominator - I fell in love when I saw that thing.
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011, 07:08

Great looking models! Can't wait to see these finished.

On the topic of model conversions, did you ever see the UT2k4 models converted to UT by BlackCheetah?
http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/sectio ... php?id=727

They were extremely well done, with the exception of the animations... There were many missing some critical animations, which made them look a little off in UT. I REALLY wish someone would take these models and give them some cleaner animations. I took the time a while back to make green and gold team skins for all the converted UT2k4 models, as well as enhanced some of the previous skins. I also gave them all talk pics (including specific talk pics for team colors). All my effort was kind of a waste however, since the models were never that polished. It's a shame, since they look incredible in UT despite the bad animations.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011, 18:03

Cool, I never knew those were released. Did they use the regular 2k4 animations, or did they use the UT PS2 animations?

If I have time after I convert the other PS2 models and the two skaarj, I might try fixing those models.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011, 19:26

AlCapowned wrote:Cool, I never knew those were released. Did they use the regular 2k4 animations, or did they use the UT PS2 animations?

If I have time after I convert the other PS2 models and the two skaarj, I might try fixing those models.

That would be really sweet if you did fix them! They use the original UT2k4 animations, but I don't think it was a good choice. When the legs move on the models, they appear to be moving really fast but going nowhere. Let me know if you are going to take a look at the models; I have a much better version than what's uploaded on SkinCity. I got some of the source from BlackCheetah, fixed some of the code, and made all the new skins/talk pics. I spent about a month fixing the pack! The original pack was incomplete and riddled with bugs.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 05:25

I'm getting close to finishing the first UT version (without the Skaarj Hybrids). I've converted the raw steel, necris, male commando, male soldier, and female soldier models. I think I'm going have the PS2 versions of Xan MKII and the Warboss be skins instead of models, since UT keeps crashing without any error message when I play the game after I import them. The only other model I have to convert is the female commando.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 14:43

I am a retard-tier regarding modelling/animation just to let you know if I make stupid questions but

did you remake all the animations for the PS2 human models? If so, wow. Anyway I guess you can go with the skins only (oh, and it's the PS2 Xan skin less cartoony-like?) regarding the Bonus Pack 4 characters, to be honest their PS2 model differences are almost unnoticeable and it is not worth the time to put them into the PC version. Are you going to include their special talktextures too? Rampage/Warboss simply had a dark green background behind the face (same as Damien) and Xan had a red background.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 18:06

I already had the animations for the PS2 humans (I don't remember where I got them :/ ), but I did have to rig the models so they would animate properly. Mostly, their fingertips would stick to their legs. I will have to remake the Skaarj animations, though.

I don't have their talktextures, but I might be able to get them. I recently found a working ROM of the PS2 version of UT, so I could take screenshots of them. I also found a program that can open UMD files (which hold textures and stuff), so maybe I won't have to play the game. If I do get them, they'll be included in an update for the pack

About Xan's skin, it's pretty much like the green teamskin that the PC Xan MKII has, but with a slightly different shade of green.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 22:14

Man, good luck with the two Skaarj models.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 03:07

After playing through a lot of the PS2 tournament, I was able to get the talktextures for Ramage, Damien, and Dominator. I guess Rampage's talktexture will be in the first version of the pack after all.

Next