UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1] Unreal PSX Remake (Rise of Jrath - suggested subtitle)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: [u1] Unreal PSX Remake (Rise of Jrath - suggested subtit

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011, 22:59

Nice.. I'm all for this being converted, but I just can't imagine what the levels must be like given how inferior this console hardware was even way back in the day. Do you know if the pack was originally destined to be “PSX link cable” compatible? If not, is adding multiplayer coop support providing a faithful conversion?

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011, 23:30

Sinistral wrote:Nice.. I'm all for this being converted, but I just can't imagine what the levels must be like given how inferior this console hardware was even way back in the day. Do you know if the pack was originally destined to be “PSX link cable” compatible? If not, is adding multiplayer coop support providing a faithful conversion?

They planned a multiplayer but it wasn't added back in this stage. You see the project originally started during Unreal developement, back then handed by DMA, but they decided PSX was too slow for it and they went with N64 only back then(which was cancelled anyway). Then later on the project was resurrected by pterodactyl in early 99 (which is this content) and then even sheduled for a complete makeover which never took place afaik.

The maps aren't that bad, there were limits of max visible polys in one area though and stuff like that and they had to sometimes change to less poly stuff, in order to run it well on the PSX hardware. Of course the maps are separated into multiple parts, there was even HUB system attempted in one of the early versions, but of course Unreal doesn't support HUB very well so it was dropped and made more linear, but still with lots of secrets and sideway paths, so don't except Unreal2 too excesive linearity aka Janus at times either (which was really ridiculous decision in the final stages of its developement).
The textures were all in very low res and without detail texturing or special filtering, and the texture dimensions and colors were trimmed down, in fact one could convert those textures to doom WAD and get away with it right away i believe, without resizing anything or recoloring. Those low res tetxures get extra blurry and sometimes weird on hardware support though.

I am adding full coop support for the maps, the coop support was not good in original, in fact coop was dropped altogether.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011, 17:51

I updated first post with new pics from the map conversions, sana can that be added to upcoming maps then?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011, 19:40

You should move the text at the bottom to another post or dramatically shorten it, and perhaps have an even amount of pictures (2,4,6). Once that's done, I'll move it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011, 22:22

I will make another screenshot, but why couldn't you ignore the text below the links part? I don't feel like deleting all what I wrote there. And there is enough text in another post, so that would be too large anyway.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011, 22:38

I'd rather have you remove one screenshot and make it 4 instead.

I can't move your thread to the Upcoming Maps forum as long as it doesn't adhere to the guidelines. The new Upcoming Maps page was made so that people can update their own project status. It was not made so that people can design their entries on the main page as they please, taking a thousand liberties with structure, text colors and screenshot sizes. You remember the old Upcoming Maps page, right? It looked nowhere as messy as the current one does, so I will be enforcing stylistic uniformity more strictly from now on.

If you really don't want to change this thread, I suggest that you open a new one (like Frieza and Waffnuffly did for Project Shinjigen and EXU2) which is short, informative and keeps true to the guidelines. Then I will move that thread to the Upcoming Maps section.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011, 22:51

Ok, posted another thread then, move that one.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 19:59

Reposting from another thread since this is regarding this project:
--------------------------------------------------------------
It still was not finished (the original upsx game) and the story was rather corny (with references to various books or movies, the voice acting lines for example), although not all the details about the story were revealed and not all the lines of the other characters.
But then again I wouldn't get to play it, i don't own consoles anyway, so it there is bright side on this, plus I will hope to eliminate some cornyness in remake and tie it with the Unreal book as well a more bit.

Also I had idea about new weapons, no it will not use any RTNP weapons like Delacroix wanted to do, because UMS isn't involved. Instead there will perhaps be one or two new Inuit weapons and stuff like that. Still not sure if I will add those, but I can tell if I do (and find a willing modeller to do it, to model the weapons), they will be very "Unreal" and fitting with the overall theme.

But for sure Unreal PSX remake will include working new quadshot and implantgun at least.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011, 00:37

sana wrote: You remember the old Upcoming Maps page, right? It looked nowhere as messy as the current one does, so I will be enforcing stylistic uniformity more strictly from now on.

So good to hear
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011, 21:10

Still waiting for more files, but I have progressed on the remake, the E1L1 stuff is 80 percent complete now and being debugged a lot.

Some new screenshots will come soon hopefuly too.

seeker3
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 21:49

How are things coming Leo? This is another that I'm really looking forward too:)

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 09:50

Leo won't be here to answer you, I am afraid. If he has any updates, I'll be sure to post them here in his name.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

seeker3
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 20:50

Okay thanks Del,I appreciate it:)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:36

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-re ... e-of-jrath

moddb page up. There's still much to do.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011, 00:52

A major update: One of the LDs recovered his crashed hard drive's content and many of the missing maps are in. Some other juicy findings as well.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Previous Next