Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[U227] The Day Of The Titan - Update: 12th July 2011.

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: [U227] The Day Of The Titan

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011, 11:12

Believe me. I'm analyzing this texture hard now. His 'belly' and chest really looks like a chest plate. Hi has something like gloves on his hands, shoulderpads and more.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011, 13:12

Mind blown. I guess that pretty much confirms that the normal Titans are under some sort of control (or at least contained in some way by the Skaarj and let out when they are needed).
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011, 13:23

The metal plates on the Titan bodies look like they come out from a Skaarj armor design centre.
ImageImage

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 08:43

Still just looks like skin discolouration to me :/
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 09:08

I'll admit that the brown coloration was oddly applied, but I'm in the camp that says that is simply his skin. There hasn't been anything in either Unreal or the mission pack to suggest that the Titans are anything other than aggressive beasts. Certainly nothing to indicate that they are capable of tailoring their own clothes. If I'm going out on a limb for the sake of discussion...well...it's possible a skinner made that skin for the Dark Arena map, where perhaps the Titan was "battle dressed" by the arena's inhabitants, and they simply used the skin multiple times in other maps. But without confirmation on this, it's a stretch.

Of course...this being a community map...you can even make him talk if you really wanted to :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 13:18

That's why I always felt Titans looked terrible, you couldn't even realize he had a brown/reddish dress and little pieces of armor.
ImageImage

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 15:18

I'd guess that the Nali are responsible for making the Titan clothings / armor. In the stock maps Titans are most often found in Nali-locations. I find it most likely that the Nali used Titans to protect places / things— for instance in Velora Pass— and they also used them for gladiatorial sport, as in Dark Arena and Temple of Vandora. Then of course, they sometimes get loose / the wild ones get into the villages, as in Spire Village. But seeing as the Titan first appeared in Dark Arena, I believe that Unreal wanted you to connect the Titan's appearance with that of a heavily armored beast, and also that it was decorated by the builders of the arena. As Prophet also said, laziness can probably be attributed to the 'wild' Titans having the same skin texture.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 20:19

UB's right. And yea, my titan is capable of talking... In it's own way, of course XD

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011, 12:06

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:I'd guess that the Nali are responsible for making the Titan clothings / armor. In the stock maps Titans are most often found in Nali-locations. I find it most likely that the Nali used Titans to protect places / things— for instance in Velora Pass— and they also used them for gladiatorial sport, as in Dark Arena and Temple of Vandora. Then of course, they sometimes get loose / the wild ones get into the villages, as in Spire Village. But seeing as the Titan first appeared in Dark Arena, I believe that Unreal wanted you to connect the Titan's appearance with that of a heavily armored beast, and also that it was decorated by the builders of the arena. As Prophet also said, laziness can probably be attributed to the 'wild' Titans having the same skin texture.

Not to nitpick, but the Unreal Strategy Guide makes mention of the skaarj throwing nali into the titans pit in Dark Arena for sport/fun. So in that regard it doesn't sound as if the titans are exactly nali friendly.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011, 12:25

Titans always attack Nali unless they are controlled in some way.
ImageImage

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011, 18:03

Any Monstrosity can be clothed by a willing enough person/four armed alien
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Still say it's skin discolouration tho
ImageImage

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011, 18:13

Doublez-Down wrote:Not to nitpick, but the Unreal Strategy Guide makes mention of the skaarj throwing nali into the titans pit in Dark Arena for sport/fun. So in that regard it doesn't sound as if the titans are exactly nali friendly.

That doesn't really invalidate his theory, and I think it's actually quite good.

The Nali may have once controlled the titans for sport at Dark Arena, and when the Skaarj showed up and thoroughly ransacked Nali civilization, the survivors were thrown in by the Skaarj instead of other Nali. The Nali definitely seem to have a darker past; perhaps the Skaarj occupation pacified them in a way. Instead of fighting each other, the remainder of their race banded together to resist the Skaarj in whatever limited capacity they could, as evidenced by the stashed Flak Cannon in Harobed and the gear in the secret rooms in Sky Town, among other things.

This is, of course, all just speculation, so...

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011, 20:11

^A good point.There seems to be a good bit about the Nali that we don't know.

Also bear in mind that we're talking about a 90s dungeon shooter, so the art direction wasn't as thought out as it may be in today's blockbuster games. Thus, Qtit can do whatever he likes with the given game assets. Chances are that few things will seem out of place.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011, 22:27

I love these theory discussions. We know Epic will never come back to Na Pali and explain a damn thing! :cry:

And achievements? Special attacks? This keeps looking better! Can not wait to play. Please don't make me have to wait for this like with the big projects. :o

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011, 22:47

Guys... This is NOT a serious project. It's Unreal seen other way. A kind of parody. lol

Previous Next