Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

DM-DD-Gothic Resurrection Beta

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: DM-DD-Gothic Resurrection Beta

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011, 01:52

Beta of the DM version of my SP map "Gothic Resurrection"

ImageImage

These are some early screenshots from the SP map, was too lazy to make new ones, but you get the idea. It feels a bit more natural in UT than it does in SP imo.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xpey349bieufkgq

Tell me what's good and what needs fixing.
Last edited by Doublez-Down on 18 Jan 2011, 01:46, edited 2 times in total.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: DM-DD-Gothic Resurrection Beta

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011, 17:06

Just gave it a go. It was quite good though weaponary was a bit sprase. A bit more health here and there wouldn't hurt either.

I suspose due to the texturing it always felt like a DM map, even the SP.
StalwartUK

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011, 18:56

Updated OP. Added a small secret area, fixed scaling on minigun ammo, replaced small tree area under sniper rifle with water - allows player to jump from sniper spot without taking damage. Added a couple more playerstarts as well.

Another screenie...
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011, 19:02

The layout of Gothic Resurrection was very well connected as a SP, I imagine it will make a good MP. I will wait for the finished version before I download this.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011, 19:16

Sounds good, although it's pretty much finished unless someone finds anything else. I'll give it a day just to make sure.

EDIT - Added some health and ammo as a few were claiming it was a bit sparse. OP updated.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011, 11:06

I gave it a quick spin, the layout was a bit corridorish and with not much Z-Axis but that's to be expected from a past SP map.

Item placement is quite strange, you have some very large rooms that could hold powerful items and yet you placed most of them near the walls. Generally the items are placed where you wouldn't expect them to be, and where you'd expect to find something powerful there is nothing.
For example you have that nice room with the carved mirrors in the floors (shaped like a cross) that is completely empty in the big center area, you could have placed a powerful weapon like the Shock Rifle in there. There is a room at the bottom floor, close to the courtyard, which has four pillars in the middle but again all the items are close to the walls. Another example, the wooden walkway with the Shock Rifle has a "dead end" with four pillars, that would be a quite nice place for some armor.
The risk-reward balance is not taken in enough consideration as well, you have weak weapons like the GES placed in big very exposed rooms while strong weapons like the Shock Rifle are relegated to small corridors.
At the moment the map is a bit painful to navigate since if you follow the item layout you literally keep moving from wall to wall, while items should be implemented more in the natural flow of the map.

The biggest problem are the Dead ends, which again hold pretty useless items. Don't underestimate their danger, when played with proper players dead-ends become death traps and they should reward the players who get in there with a powerful item. The flak cannon is definitely not worth the risk, since if someone with any kind of hitscan weapon spots you while you're taking it you're basically dead, and the same goes for a medipack and sniper ammo. I would either remove the dead ends (trying to connect them to the rest of the map in some way, maybe lifts) or place a proper item in there, like a Megahealth or UDamage.
Overall the map could use some more health (it's BIG!), and you should really add some more armors around. Don't be afraid to add duplicate armors, this map is very big and can hold them well. The original Gothic in comparison is small but had much more powerups.

Since this map is inspired by Gothic, you could add to the map some pretty controversial elements, teleporters. Since the layout is large but pretty disconnected (for DM standards) they would help the map quite a bit. In Gothic they worked wonders to connect isolated areas, try to take a look at how they are used.

You should place some kind of blocking actors on the roofs, you can get there by hammer jumping or translocating and that's not nice in a Last Man Standing game.
Being the map very large you could help the players familiarize with it faster trying to avoid using similar architecture for similar corridors. The main offender are the Flak corridor and Lift-to-Sniper corridor, they look almost identical (also in their entrance) and can cause some confusion when you're trying to understand where you are. Try to add some unique elements to differentiate them more (maybe change the textures or lighting, or change the wall crack in a very recognizable way, or add unique decorations like bricks and planks, your choice).

A pretty fun map overall, it's not easy to create big maps like this :)

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011, 01:50

Thanks for having a look. I'll change the inventory up a bit and do something with the couple dead ends. I think I underestimate how big of a map it actually is for DM, as it was quite small for SP.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011, 00:28

If it's too big, I won't like it.

but I could check it out.
Just ban everyone

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011, 22:26

redeye wrote:If it's too big, I won't like it.

but I could check it out.

That's what she said?
:P

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011, 01:04

This sounds good. I liked the SP. It was an effective atmosphere test and had solid enough gameplay to boot. MP version will be pro for sure :)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything