Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[u1] Unreal Alpha and Beta version discussion

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010, 14:43

I just found out today that you can get the unused 95 alpha actors to show by hex editing existing maps. I tried woman now, but she just has pawn sprite and no model...at least it looks like so, maybe the model is there also, well by looking at the files the model seems to be there only not assigned to the actor. Too bad it doesn't have Unrealed etc and that it is a cut off and incomplete alpha.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010, 17:19

That's pretty cool news! :tup: :tup:
Tried the Gargoyle yet..?
And could you post some screenies?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010, 18:43

I can't get it to show the model...I am sceptical if it is even there, basically all you see is this default actor sprite instead. There's nothing really groundbreaking about this, it is just this usual sprite floating, only you didn't get to see this one in tech demo before, that's all. It didn't have AI, so basically it just stays there doing nothing and I can't get it to assign the model althoguh the model names obviously are there, as JWizard Gargoyle PWoman RedDragon

I tried Wizard(nali), Dragon, Woman, Player, all are just sprites.
Gargoyle is difficult to put it, because its string size exceeds it and it makes the file corrupted, unless I would hire some hex editing expert for that I can't put gargoyle in.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010, 21:12

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:Gargoyle is difficult to put it, because its string size exceeds it and it makes the file corrupted, unless I would hire some hex editing expert for that I can't put gargoyle in.

Teehee

Cycle to the gargoyle using the bracket keys

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010, 22:04

Can you also upload one with the Monster later? Also I can't get the posess to work most of time, I only got it working once for some reaosn.

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011, 15:31

I'll probably do it tomorrow. Sorry, just a bit ill from last night still :<

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011, 12:06

You might also try replacing the sprites by RedDragon etc if it works. There is something like s_light and s_actor and s_camera, I guess those are for the sprites but lst time i tried it had no effect hoever I never tried reddragon.

Here are some screenshots for Darkon:

testlev.rar

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011, 14:22

Another discovery: I hex edited the library unengine.dll and replaced s_camera with Gargoyle, it no longer shows the eye sprite after that ingame, instead it shows nothing but the light is stil being reflected.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011, 16:59

Thanks for the shots.. it doesn't show anything that we haven't seen before.. (or did I miss something?)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011, 22:53

Darkon wrote:Thanks for the shots.. it doesn't show anything that we haven't seen before.. (or did I miss something?)

It shows me possesing woman and dragon pawns, but they just have the default sprite, that weird head, I forgot what it is supposed to represent. Still it is some interesting discovery and who knows, maybe we will find out how to show the models, if they are indeed there. But it would require probably changing the draw type and I have no idea how to do that in the 95 engine.

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011, 11:39

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:but they just have the default sprite, that weird head, I forgot what it is supposed to represent.

The eagle head is the default actor sprite. I'm skeptical as to whether the models do exist. The maps range from 500kb to nearly 3mb, so there could be more things hidden that we've not found yet. I did however find DATAFILE= and ANIVFILE= lines but nothing after it, just garbled mess but as Leo said, this could mean the models are there somewhere.

Another interesting thing is the UNREAL.H file in /SYSTEM. I don't know any C++ but the file seems to refer to "UnreaEdServer" a lot (Something I never saw mentioned in any release of Unreal or UT.)

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:Another discovery: I hex edited the library unengine.dll and replaced s_camera with Gargoyle, it no longer shows the eye sprite after that ingame, instead it shows nothing but the light is stil being reflected.

My theory is that the light is actually replaced by the object, it's just that the Gargoyle, Wizard and so on do not have any properties set. Since this an Alpha from 1995, much of it was stripped down and only the bare bones of it was being demonstrated. Epic may have been limited to what they could've shown so maybe they took out unnecessary items (In this case, the models) and left in the classes just as a reference.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011, 18:21

Gizzy wrote:My theory is that the light is actually replaced by the object, it's just that the Gargoyle, Wizard and so on do not have any properties set. Since this an Alpha from 1995, much of it was stripped down and only the bare bones of it was being demonstrated. Epic may have been limited to what they could've shown so maybe they took out unnecessary items (In this case, the models) and left in the classes just as a reference.

Well, the light isn't replaced by the object in this case, it only doesn't have sprite anymore, that means the fireballs you shoot still reflect the light but has no sprite if you remove s_camera from uengine.dll and replace it for example with jwizard or something. Could you try doing that with all the model references, like even "reddragon"? But then again the draw is not changed and it might be required for it, I mean it is all set to draw either sprites or nothing. And there is Draw and DrawRot or something like that, it is really interesting to dig deep into that.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011, 11:01

Completely missed this thread before, but yeah it's pretty obvious that guy was just making stuff up and then he conveniently lost it all in a flood...

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011, 12:11

Frieza wrote:Completely missed this thread before, but yeah it's pretty obvious that guy was just making stuff up and then he conveniently lost it all in a flood...

For some reason he never really talked in detail about those betas or alphas, not to me at least, while it is clear that he has played them. I wanted to check out if he is speaking truth, because I did play a certain beta build back in 98.

Also he had other info and stuff but he never shared it with me further, I don't know, maybe he was speaking truth, only he was confused and stuff, he is kind of too naieve of a person, at least from what I could grasp.
And then he didn't want to hear anything about the alphas and betas and shut down, I don't know if of depression or something, but really..it all made me more inclined towards that he was making it up. Besides if he had the contacts he claimed to have why didn't he try to do anything further? Or even give them to me? I would help and I was sucesful in pursuing the Unreal PSX stuff, I would really help in that one too, as I even spoke with Cliff Bleszinski about the topic year ago.

I don't really get it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011, 12:14

I am still thinking about Skaarj Hybrids appearing in Unreal 1.
ImageImage

Previous Next