ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[RELEASED] [UT] The Last Fortress - Final

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [Released] The Last Fortress - Final

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:07

Waffnuffly wrote:Those last three look decent, but Megaupload and Rapidshare are absolute bottom-barrel horrible :p

[Edit]

Try this?

http://hotfile.com/dl/49660357/670ca34/ ... l.rar.html

Thanks, finally managed to download it.

BTW why the bottom-barrel horrible? Those two are actually very reliable for me (except for the waiting time with rapidshare after large downloads).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010, 12:13

I have no problem with Megaupload, download speed with it is extremely high for me (higher than anything else). The only things that bug me are some ads that sometimes, slow down the waiting process.
ImageImage

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010, 05:48

*gets shot by an Artillery Brute*

/thinks What the fuck just happened?

Nice map, but:

- why on earth did you opt NOT to include those two music files? It's like getting a shovel to dig up your treasure chest and noticing at the last second that you actually also need a handle for the shovel. Like, dude why?
- the lighting (ah, I wrote LIGHTING, not LIHGTNING] :D) really doesn't help you spot enemies. A few extra lights would really add to the atmosphere (and the visibility).
- how in the hell is that "rope" a ladder? o_O That's harder to "climb up" than growing wings. At least for me.

Also, the flashlight dies faster than an old man's [spoiler]erection.[/spoiler] Seriously.

But nice map none the less :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010, 07:23

- If you don't have crater.umx and watcher.umx in your music folder by now, shame on you! But seriously, I forgot.

- Turn yo brightness up. But yeah this map is meant to be hard in literally every single way, including spotting enemies

- qtit's climbing code is a little wonky but whatever I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ANYMORE STOP WHINING AND SLOW DOWN A BIT AND THEY WORK FINE JESUS CHRIST PEPPDFKVRPKlv sj'prgbn'ergl[elbkk

Seriously if someone can come up with something BETTER and something which is EASY TO IMPLEMENT WITHOUT ME HAVING TO REBUILD THIS HORRIFIC MAP ***EVER AGAIN*** then I will consider releasing a Final Final Final ULTRA FINAL FUCK OFF version :p Otherwise GOD DAMN I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE THIS MAP IN UED EVER AGAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE EVER

If I never see a node count above 35,000 ever again it will be too soon.

Glad you like everything else! So far! \o/

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010, 10:44

Waffnuffly wrote:THIS HORRIFIC MAP

... Hey cool it, and never, ever insult this stupendous, interesting, entertaining, etc... map again!!?

Damn it, I couldn't care less whether you had to amputate your right foot or even the old man's ... to construct this map, polynodecount 35 million or over, total blackness as lighting, whatever. Fact is this map gave more than was promised and in a better way so for me you don't have to see this map in UED anymore ....
But I strongly suggest you prepare more maps using UED, and ... who knows ... the amputated parts may even grow back 8)

@WWW: the ropeladder takes some getting used to but causes less problems than a pupa in 1m wide pitchblack corridor.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010, 10:50

The problem with the rope is that most people don't realize they aren't supposed to press any direction keys/strafe while climbing it. You simply walk/swim to it and that's it- you automatically latch on to it and climb. If you look up, you climb up, if you look down, you climb down. It works like a charm then, but goes massively wrong if you try to move around on it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:15

salsaSkaarj wrote:
Waffnuffly wrote:THIS HORRIFIC MAP

... Hey cool it, and never, ever insult this stupendous, interesting, entertaining, etc... map again!!?

This is referring to the TECHNICAL fuckery of the map. I'm proud of the design, but the actual guts of the map are pretty terrifying to behold, mostly because I didn't know what nodes were all about when I started, I used too many (more than zero) semisolids, and the vertex editing mode thing screwed up the alignment of a lot of my verts, causing hairline BSP fractures, which REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!! GOD DAAAAAMMMMNNNNNNNNNN

And yes if you don't move on the ropes, you'll be ok. I'll add it to the first post.

cornel001
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010, 01:09

Ok, I had to turn brightness up two notches. This made underwater seeing awful. And washed a bit out some colours.
Climbing ropes/etc is frustrating, maybe less if you know the secret : dont move once it started pulling you, just aim alongside it.

While the first chain is much easier to find now, some of the later chains/ladders in darker areas could maybe do with a highlight too; while far less likely to be game-stoppers than the first some still seem a little easy to overlook if you aren't specifically looking for them. When you're high up if you jump off one edge of the fort you can get stuck on a slope against the wall (I think I mentioned this last time).

I think I got stuck here. After wasting some time to find out what about next (and I missed that translator message right in front after climbing grate, and btw it hard to jump at the base of climbing grate, first I thought it was a false way and gave up for a time), I found the first chain, up, jump on the opposite wall, up again, the try jumping on the farther brick sith the stair/grate, but something prevents me doing so, like something invisible stops my jump and I fall down. So... what I do ? If thats the right way, a little fly cheat ?
I'm using the TheLastFortressFinal from filefront, link got from review page.

LE oh well, looks like it will take me to the same place where I can get from after I climb the grates... I'll need more research. Guess if jumpboots are for progressing thru level or for a secret? Can please tell me ?
Unreal addict

Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010, 02:30

Jumpboots are optional. The way to progress is near that lantern / Stinger ammo / flashing translator message on the ground to the left of the main (locked) fortress entrance. It's between the library building and the fortress itself.

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 18:16

SON OF A BITCH

I just discovered a typo in the final log and that the SKYBOX SMOKE IS TOTALLY SCREWED UP in the final version and I somehow didn't notice before. It was fine in V1, too >:|

Really, really tempted to release a TLF Final MKII and polish this thing off for good for real. Anyone know of anything else I should fix? Particularly netcode bugs I missed last time? :p

I'm also really tempted to take a stab at improving or rewriting the chain-climbing code.

Potential list of fixes:
  • Screwed skybox smoke
  • Typo in translator message / content editing of others to improve readability
  • Gameplay tweaks of any kind?
  • Have the SK-6 Skaarj Gunners' gun barrels glow red for a few seconds after firing to increase visibility?
  • Netcode fixes?
  • Improved rope/ladder/giant snake/intestine climbing code?

I know these are relatively minor issues but damnit, if I am going to release something I need to do it right!

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 19:42

Waffnuffly wrote:if I am going to release something I need to do it right!

That's the spirit.

You got my respect, man. (well, you always had, but such posts make me recall why)

If Epic were like you, the world wouldn't have any need of Smirftsch's 227 patch and you yourself would have had less problems with coding EXU. Way less.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 20:08

I have a partially finished Second Opinion review of this one and some others I am meaning to finish, and now you're going ahead and making a patch?

Bah!

Waffnuffly wrote:Gameplay tweaks of any kind?

Avoiding insta-nuking deaths without warning, would be nice. Your map is guilty of doing this once or twice with snipers that fire mega rockets at the speed of light, so you're gibbed and rolling in the wind by the time you hear the shot. Take it from me, insta-death gameplay sequences are tricky. Players...as good as they are...do not have your foresight. Ambushes and traps have great potential for gameplay, as long as the player's incompetence is a sole penalty. I'll give you an example; land mines in Fallout 3. If I trip one then it is because I didn't check my immediate surroundings when creeping into an enemy camp, because they are there to see and not buried in the dirt. Your map brinks on the edge of a lot of "buried in the dirt" moments and tips over...as I said...once or twice.

As for the rope ladder in the pointless water area...yeah man that whole concept is fucked, you need to rethink that. The only reason to use them are to either collect dropped enemy weapons or to try to sneak ahead on a section of the walkway (which is clever in concept but simply does not work so well in practice). And bobbing up on those things only to get hit in all directions when your upper cranium comes into view...then having the movement impairment when you try to react....eeesh! Why wouldn't small lifts work?
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 15 Dec 2010, 20:17, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 20:13

lol, only a very very very minor one. And only if people don't tell me not to!

I don't expect it would actually impact the experience much (unless I majorly fix the climbing code), I'm just a perfectionist.

[Edit] Re: your edit, I'll consider revising that stuff as much as I can but as we discussed in chat, the water is a tactically disadvantageous place to be, so going in is a risk. Falling in is a bad thing, but not a death sentence since you can retreat to an earlier rope which is secure and use that to climb. But I'll wait to see what else you were talking about in the chat before I comment much further!

Hopefully if I can recode those climbing actors you won't fall off as easily and it will all work out much better.

[Edit2] And that first "insta-death" SK-6 ambush is supposed to never be able to harm the player for the first shot, but the target was actually lower than I thought in UED. I have adjusted it accordingly!
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 15 Dec 2010, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 20:31

as said on chat, will comment more after work.

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 21:34

Technical experimentation commence!

Currently I am trying out a custom player class for the map, which should allow me to implement a ladder system where your movement is controlled by the jump and crouch keys, not by your viewrotation - this should make climbing code MUCH more reliable.

The issue is, it requires a custom gametype for it to work, off AND online. I know some coop players liked playing this map with crazy custom gametypes - will this break stuff for you guys? Or can you still override the gametype to use your own? If you override, you might not be able to climb ladders anymore (unless I leave the original ladders in place for coop mode, which I am almost 100% likely going to do). Thoughts?

Also, any sort of patch for this won't be released until it has been thoroughly beta tested by myself and at least one other person this time.

Previous Next