ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[U1 227] Deja Vu -> Unreal conversion?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2008, 19:56

Darkon wrote:I thought that Hellscrag looked it over and corrected it before publishing it.

I do look over UB's work, but I don't rewrite all of it. I change the bits that I feel would make the meaning of the text hardest to follow or translate for someone who wasn't fluent in English. Also, shorter articles such as map reviews are likely to attract a higher level of care on my part.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2008, 20:48

Hellscrag wrote:
Darkon wrote:I thought that Hellscrag looked it over and corrected it before publishing it.

Also, shorter articles such as map reviews are likely to attract a higher level of care on my part.

Exactly. I don't think everyone here has difficulties in playing the USP-games in Unreal difficulty.

But hey, various people enjoy writing walkthroughs! :B
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 01:38

Okay, getting back into topic here (Grammer is for Geeks) (well, no.. not really..but..)

can those who have played Deja Vu and know all the insides and out maybe help with a bug report for the beta? I would like this to be a "perfect" conversion if all goes well. There might be a few errors in the end, but the more support I get from you guys, the higher the chance this thing will come out just like the original :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 10:56

I know the game pretty well, but not on every difficulty setting. I can certainly test my own maps. My testing platform would have to be RtNP 226b, though, as I don't have Unreal installed (I play the original mission through Oldskool).

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 16:37

I'm not sure what you mean by "every difficulty setting". I thought that Unreal handles this automatically with the user input:

Example: open USP-01-Hellscrag?difficulty=3

Testing in each difficulty would make the game harder, but I don't see how this would effect the quality of the conversion (because unreal handles this by default on any map)

btw hellscrag, your map "USP-01-Hellscrag" is now at its finished state (or through my eyes). Here are a list of changes that I made from the original version:

-new waterfall smoke (HubEffects.Smoke1 is bugged in Unreal)
-Replaced smokegenerators with a 2d sprites (Smoke Generators need to be triggered in Unreal1)
-NaliC.Wood1a (a bugged texture) was replaced with NaliC.Wood2a
-BSP Cut #1 The pond near the end (fixed)
-BSP Cut #2 The *mine* area with wood supporters (fixed)

I test played the map after these fixes and found it to be in perfect condition. (ready for final release :) )

EDIT: Oh, I must add that I decided against adding the easter egg to this map. I don't think it effects the quality of the map and is not essential for a "full conversion".

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 17:13

I think the Easter Egg is the most important part! :P

Am happy to test the map for a bit.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 19:05

That easter egg is a panel with a myleveled texture, I think it is better to add it there.
Yeah include the :B easter egg and all of these easter eggs in conversions, even fix them like at UBerserker's thread.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2008, 13:38

I have Unreal installed at the moment, so I can test it, assuming there are no big issues in Unreal 227.

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2008, 14:27

I enjoyed playing Deja Vu at UT coop; and I will surely enjoy playing it in Unreal coop.

:tup:

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 09:20

227 test server will be up shortly

(only 227 clients will be accepted because of redirect download!!!)

If you want to test the pack and help with bug reporting, I recommend that you install a seperate 227 client if you have not already done so.

Servername: ***227 ONLY***(DejaVu Conversion Test)***227 ONLY***
Gametype:CO-OP

I hope I will see some testers soon... :D

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 12:06

Can you put it up to the downloadable state also separately again if there was any update?

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 18:09

I would like to do that, but I am afraid that people might use this versions of the maps on their server. I am having some server issues right now I am trying to fix. I have the redirect working, but I want to block all connections from downloading directly from my machine (aka any version below 227).

I thought setting the download flag for all the maps/music/sounds/textures to 9 would disable direct download of the file and enable redirect. The problem is, doing this disables both :(

I'll let you guys know when the server is ready to download from the redirect without file interference

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 18:17

w00t!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got it working. Now all 227 clients will be able to download from the web server. All other clients will be denied access.

( If you want to beta test, please copy your current unreal over and patch it. This is not a hard task: http://www.oldunreal.com/patch/UnrealPatch227aWin.7z )

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 18:56

Why not allow for example the Unreal Gold users let it download from your machine? Some people are unable to run the patch in its not stable form.
It doesn't run fine even for me.
I would like to check it out myself too.

I think the best solution is to put it up here for a download, there are not people who would abuse it here I am sure. Or just pm these ppl with link.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 19:30

please, connect with a 227 client for testing purposes. In theory, any version of unreal could run this mappack online. But as you probably already know, 227 downloads turtle slow when it is not web redirect. I am also running UTPlayerSkins which is not supported in older versions of unreal.

Once again, if your interested in bugreporting/testing for the conversion, please use a 227a client (for the time being)

Previous Next