Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Jazz Jackrabbit.. [SPLIT from Lost & Found]

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008, 21:10

It seems I need to upgrade my pack then...

As for the DOSBOX performance, change the CPU cycles value or sth. Use trial and error.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008, 21:29

Looks like Epic never fixed the secret levels in JJ2. Every time I do a secret level and complete it, I go back to the level and the character touches again the secret warp. Damn, looks like I'm going to change the level order through the editor to make the secret ones playable in a way.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008, 21:44

If you do create such a campaign, please do include the two unique maps from JJ2 SF shareware.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2008, 22:46

Still,,, Dosbox is very hard to use compared to some console emulators for example which are very user friendly.

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 09:05

Just use one of the damn frontends, I never touched the vanilla DOSBOX even.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 12:22

Delacroix wrote:Just use one of the damn frontends, I never touched the vanilla DOSBOX even.

What frontends? Anyway I tried setting it up, it worked better but then I had a lag during certain sequences so I decided to scrap this complicated shit.
I downloaded instead some fix sound thingy (even if it has less quality than the DOSBOX and I don't want to mess up with its own settings much so I will let it be.) and I ran it in its original form. I wonder how come that it runs very fine even on windows XP? Such an old DOS game.

EDIT. Btw I highly appreciate what are you doing Delacroix. Btw let us know when you will upload the updated pack.

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 12:36

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 - check the "Tools" section. Basically a DOSBOX Frontend is a configuration wizard - it simplifies configuring DOSBox to the max and allows you to start each configuration easily - and each of them may be launched independently without damaging other configurations.

For example I set a value of CPU speed to 10000 cycles for the game X and to launch it immediately after starting the DOSBox main program. But at the same time, on the frontend screen I have several configs for games Y, Z, etc. Each with it's own environment, including amount of memory available, CPU speed, graphics acceleration and so on.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 13:08

Thanks. Btw, I think I will run it via the normal Dos mode still and without DOSBox, I already configured it good enough and it runs very fine.
Even sound is good now.

Yes that configurator is more user friendly. But I will run it in the original mode since I think there is not much to be boosted up.

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 15:02

I must apologize for being harsh about the entire DOS case. It's just that I easily get irritated if one does not notice some things that are obvious. Or should I say: they seem obvious to me... And I have this flaw: I apparently refuse to accept that some things that I consider obvious (such as the importance of CPU speed or frontend usage in DOSBox) are not necessarily obious to you, Mick. This only proves one thing: good teacher I am NOT. No patience for ppl that don't know something I do. Heck, another character flaw for me to work on.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 15:17

[OT.. moved to other topic]
Last edited by Darkon on 11 Jan 2008, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 15:30

Delacroix wrote:I must apologize for being harsh about the entire DOS case. It's just that I easily get irritated if one does not notice some things that are obvious. Or should I say: they seem obvious to me... And I have this flaw: I apparently refuse to accept that some things that I consider obvious (such as the importance of CPU speed or frontend usage in DOSBox) are not necessarily obious to you, Mick. This only proves one thing: good teacher I am NOT. No patience for ppl that don't know something I do. Heck, another character flaw for me to work on.

I managed to set it even without the frontend and I ran it with Dosbox just fine except that it still lagged at some moments.

I configured it for many HOURS the DOSBOX without frontend still to get a weird performance, so I decided to not run it with dosbox. :wink:

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 19:05

[OT moved to other topic]

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2008, 19:13

[OT moved to other topic]
Last edited by Darkon on 11 Jan 2008, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2008, 00:28

Sorry Darkon, no idea in your case. Btw I noticed, at your combo file is "holiday hare 94" plus "jazz", that works well even without dosbox btw but the other packages do not work.
So I have to run it in that crappy DOSBOX :( . Isn't there any other emulator?
I don't need the original Jazz aside teh old menu, but what I need is to run later the holiday hare 95 levels which are only avaiable from that 95 package and they cannot be copied over without replacing the files.

EDIT: What are these jazzit files for, these *.bat ones in holiday Hare combo package?

Or maybe I could a create different directory and have the holiday 95 files there copied, it should work.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2008, 06:44

Have you tried VDMsound, Mick?

Previous Next