Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[usp] [u1] [ut] Two new re-reviews

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] [ut] Two new re-reviews

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009, 19:50

Mister Prophet has put his reviewing hat on once again and has delivered updated reviews for Morene and the classic One Day. Check 'em out in the usual place.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009, 21:48

One Day was an excellent mappack and today it's still one, although the scores are higher than I ever expected. As for Morene... always considered it a niche test release of some sort.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009, 23:49

Amen on the OneDay re-review by Mister Prophet, i just had to put down my thoughts on it as its one of my favorite mappacks! Its a comprehensive re-review and i have to fully agree on the points mentioned there. For a minute i was worried that this mappack wouldn't stand the tests of time for others and it would be butchered in a re-review, but guess i was wrong :o

In OneDay i really feel like a simple survivor going about his/her life on Napali, something different from usual mappacks. Aside of your own motivation (the interesting thoughts on stuff here and there) there's enough background information and compelling stories to keep the player motivated, what i really liked was the freedom and how exploration rewarded you, gathering information in the town gains you knowledge about the places in advance. And the underground temple that contains alot of secrets and detours. I really liked the place for the reasons that Mister Prophet mentioned, the sheer size of the place, which becomes apparant when viewing it from the exterior area's where it is revealed to be a massive ziggurat, apparantly with the village built on top of it.

Even though i felt OneDay had its flaws, all mentioned in the re-review: slightly "camp" translator/thought messages, bad music choice in the later maps, too easy near the end. It overcomes these issues and easily became one of my favorite mappacks.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 00:32

Personally I don't find One Day all that great. I don't see what anyone else does in it...I wouldn't have rated it more than 60%....but that's just me. I mean....by giving it 80%...your basically saying it's almost and if not AS good as Shrakith'a...and if there's one thing I know...it's no where NEAR Shrakith'a. Oh wait, Xidia Gold got an 81%? LOL!...so it's equal to Xidia apparently...interesting...
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 00:45

Shivaxi wrote:Personally I don't find One Day all that great. I don't see what anyone else does in it...I wouldn't have rated it more than 60%....but that's just me. I mean....by giving it 80%...your basically saying it's almost and if not AS good as Shrakith'a...and if there's one thing I know...it's no where NEAR Shrakith'a. Oh wait, Xidia Gold got an 81%? LOL!...so it's equal to Xidia apparently...interesting...

No. There's a reason why we have categories for types of releases. It's no mistake that Large Campaigns are separated by Small Campaigns, and those are separated by Single map releases. A single map with say, an 80% is not the same as a Large campaign with the same rating. Because how do you compare a single map to a big pack? The answer is that we can't. Not accurately anyway. Look at the packs listed in the large division and look at the differences they have to everything else. There's just so much more content to judge and so much more to be seen and played. Some 80 pound shrimp could be a great lightweight prize fighter, but does that mean you're gonna put him up against Tyson? So inside their own divisions, the standard has to change in comparison to others. By giving One Day an 80% rating, all I'm saying is that it's a good, solid pack of its size and scope.

And for my own personal verdict...the 10% difference between Day and Shrakitha sounds about right to me. They are both good packs but Shrak had that extra mojo. For me, the fact that One Day has stood the test of time compared to other classics is telling of its worthiness.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 00:47

Shivaxi wrote:Personally I don't find One Day all that great. I don't see what anyone else does in it...I wouldn't have rated it more than 60%....but that's just me. I mean....by giving it 80%...your basically saying it's almost and if not AS good as Shrakith'a...and if there's one thing I know...it's no where NEAR Shrakith'a. Oh wait, Xidia Gold got an 81%? LOL!...so it's equal to Xidia apparently...interesting...

I would argue that its better than Shrak in terms of gameplay.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 00:49

jackrabbit wrote:

I would say they are dead even in that regard. Where Shrak fares better is in other ways, like presentation, scripted scenes, atmosphere ect.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 00:52

Mister_Prophet wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:

I would say they are dead even in that regard. Where Shrak fares better is in other ways, like presentation, scripted scenes, atmosphere ect.

Actually, agreed. I'm gonna go re-play "One Day" right now because it hasn't been too long since I last replayed Shrak.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 01:44

I agree with the review itself but one thing that sticks out is the annoying bug where saving on the second level essentially corrupts the save and crashes if you load because there isn't a playerstart is not mentioned, unless the modified version Lightning Hunter provided fixed that.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 01:46

Mman wrote:I agree with the review itself but one thing that sticks out is the annoying bug where saving on the second level essentially corrupts the save and crashes if you load because there isn't a playerstart is not mentioned, unless the modified version Lightning Hunter provided fixed that.

I did not mention it because I did not know about it. :o

I did not have to reload any saves in the second level because it was a walk-thru. But I'll send an amendment to Scrag to plug it in at the bottom.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 07:58

Mister_Prophet wrote:
Mman wrote:I agree with the review itself but one thing that sticks out is the annoying bug where saving on the second level essentially corrupts the save and crashes if you load because there isn't a playerstart is not mentioned, unless the modified version Lightning Hunter provided fixed that.

I did not mention it because I did not know about it. :o

If you played the version I uploaded, then you would not have noticed. I believe I fixed the saving issues. :wink:

I agree with everything said in the review, and I agree that this pack deserves a high score. However, It's hard for me to agree that it deserves a better rating than Strange World or Illhaven. I especially think that Attacked deserves a better score than One Day. Actually, speaking of which - shouldn't Attacked be in the larger campaign category? It's really not a small campaign...
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 08:31

I reviewed Strangeworld and Illhaven, but not Attacked (which I liked when I first played it but haven't replayed in a long while). Illhaven had a great opening map, but all the subsequent maps had a lot of issues. When I think of Strangworld and see its score, it does seem like maybe it should be slightly higher. But didn't that have player killing BSP glitches? I also remember that the story kinda lost me along the way.

But yeah, Strangeworld was like 8 maps. I'm surprised nobody noticed it was kinda misplaced before.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 08:38

I do agree about the end maps in Illhaven... And as a matter of fact, the ending in One Day is enough to give it an edge over Illhaven. So I guess I have to agree that One Day deserves an equal or slightly higher score than Illhaven. :)

I still think that Strange World is a bit more epic than One Day, however... Same goes for Attacked. Don't worry though, I agree with your review 100%, and I guess we can't all agree on which packs are better overall. :)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 18:27

Attacked and Strange World may have more maps than would typically fit the description of a "small campaign", but still have a "small campaign" feel to me. The key to this difference in feel (at least for me) is carefully hidden in the description of what a "large campaign" is:

This table includes large, usually collaborative map packs in excess of about six maps.

LH, your fixed version of One Day sound useful. Would you object to my offering a download link in the review? I assume that the fix is unauthorised...

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009, 18:44

maybe its just me.. but IMHO (coming from a co-op persepective) Strage World is actually one of my least favorite Unreal packs ever. What really made me hate that pack.. was the fact that it had so much potential, but was let down by linear environments with hardly any exploration factor (with the exception of the map where you collect the keys) which is a redeeming map for the pack. Maybe I have played this one too much online, but I'm disappointed every time I play this pack for some reason. I feel that it helped hurt the online community in the end (well, at least it didn't help like it should). I know that's a strong criticism for someones work, but its the way I feel. Why couldn't DavidM be more creative and open-minded in his map layouts? As many of you know, that exploration factor is key in creating a good online experience for many players.

I think David M had some of the best talent, but it all went to mostly garbage in his map layouts. Do I think Strage World deserves a new review? No. I think the current score is very accurate. This pack does have alot more redeeming qualities as an SP (most notably the transitions from night to day).

I'm not saying the pack was extremely off the scale here.... I'm just saying it could have been a hell of alot better with minimal work by the creator.

Next