Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[ut] [RELEASED] The Man from A.H.R.G.

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

If name != nice,

DARTS Society
38%
Deviant Society
15%
DTARDS Society
23%
Keep DevianTARDS!
23%

Total votes: 26

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009, 22:50

I can't tell for sure, but does the third shot show a modern-looking weapon? Will this feature the standard Unreal bestiary and arsenal, or do you have custom content (in addition to the textures)?

The maps look really great, though! Should have mentioned that before, but I'm sure you already know ;)

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009, 23:08

In as much as possible, I'm trying to maintain a more plausible weapons selection - Enforcers to CAR's - to reflect a modern day approach but for now, all weapons are Unreal (and UT) standard. :o The current opposition is formed by the infamous ONP bots - albeit adjusted and tuned to NOT make them behave like standard UT bots. :o For at least my own view, difficulty is slightly upscale but appropriately rebalanced with pickups.

Creavion wrote:BTW: Did I understand that right, you want to release this all as episodes .. like Half Life 2?

On that part, this project would be considered a side project for me - a project of secondary focus. Per episode, there's only one map. This methodology allows me to bump progress into the maps anytime I want and don't have run the risk of leaving out an 'unfinished' product. Basically, AHRG will go as far as I can without an end. :P (Think Simpsons but reaching its number is completely undoable.)

-

Oh, and did I mention that its 'three mercenaries', not one? :D :tup:

[Edit]
And thanks for the update on the upcoming maps page, Hellscrag. :o :tup: :tup:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009, 23:59

This reminds me of The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex which was about an Internet spy story.

I really like the map in the shots. Urban stuff ftw.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 00:58

I'd highly recommend modifying "DevianTARDS" to something else; the rest works fine as a comedy outline, but however facetious you play it that term is obviously inflammatory towards a section of the community in question; as well as increasing the chance of diluting attention to your actual work by drawing out people being retards from both sides of the equation and potentially drawing them here for that matter, which is the important part.

Also, it's obvious from your Deviantart account that you have no particular problem with anime/manga in itself, so I'd also recommend against "animu" as a term for what you are poking at with this, as it's a word with very certain negative connotations towards the whole style when you presumably only have issues with certain subsets of it (why not some sort of made up term instead?). Again, it's bad blood you probably have no intention of drawing.

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 03:48

Bombing anime artists? Iam in! :D

I'd highly recommend modifying "DevianTARDS" to something else

Why in the nine hells is everyone so touchy today? :?

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 05:18

-Visc- wrote:Bombing anime artists? Iam in! :D

YOU SPEAK MY LANGUAGE, FRIEND! :lol:

Mman wrote:I'd highly recommend modifying "DevianTARDS" to something else; the rest works fine as a comedy outline, but however facetious you play it that term is obviously inflammatory towards a section of the community in question; as well as increasing the chance of diluting attention to your actual work by drawing out people being retards from both sides of the equation and potentially drawing them here for that matter, which is the important part.

Also, it's obvious from your Deviantart account that you have no particular problem with anime/manga in itself, so I'd also recommend against "animu" as a term for what you are poking at with this, as it's a word with very certain negative connotations towards the whole style when you presumably only have issues with certain subsets of it (why not some sort of made up term instead?). Again, it's bad blood you probably have no intention of drawing.

Now that you've mentioned it, I do agree about the fact that using such a name, "DevianTARDS" sounds more slanderous than funny and is way beyond the context of being comical. Consider a replacement - in this case, a poll! :D

As for the term 'animu' however, I will be the first to say that I'm supposedly in the center of being offended by corrupting the word 'anime'. I've practically built parts of my life over anime (that statement will alienate some of you from me :P ) that I'd rather consider using the word 'animu' as it refers to the corruption instead of the actual thing. The years that have passed long enough to grant me immunity from name-calling has even let me cunningly use it without shuddering at the fact and somehow grants its use no matter how politically incorrect it is. I am not considering a change of the word's use but if you believe this chain of reasoning is insufficient, there's always "that thing that starts with A". :lol:

Also, my bashing 'subsets' of it goes deeper than just the style. ;) There's the so-and-so social casting of fans on who's elite and who's not, how the continued popularity of the subject turned it from a noble and unique field into an ugly corruption of common man, etc. etc.

[Edit]
Lastly, this whole campaign was to see an exclusive release only between my buddies - it becoming slightly more ambitious gave it a posting here but again, that exclusivity will only allow the campaign to be released here in USP.org alone.
Last edited by GTD-Carthage on 14 Apr 2009, 05:44, edited 3 times in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 05:20

I think DevianTARDS should stick since, "slanderous" or not, it's entirely accurate :P

Seriously that site is a fucking cesspool of furries these days save for a few people. All the mockery is deserved.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 11:20

-Visc- wrote:Why in the nine hells is everyone so touchy today? :?

Mman wrote:as well as increasing the chance of diluting attention to your actual work by drawing out people being retards from both sides of the equation and potentially drawing them here for that matter, which is the important part.

Emphasis, again. Feuds from within the Unreal 1 community getting dragged here have been bad enough, let alone the kind of shit we have to deal with from a semi-popular site like Deviantart.

GTD-Carthage wrote:As for the term 'animu' however, I will be the first to say that I'm supposedly in the center of being offended by corrupting the word 'anime'. I've practically built parts of my life over anime (that statement will alienate some of you from me :P ) that I'd rather consider using the word 'animu' as it refers to the corruption instead of the actual thing. The years that have passed long enough to grant me immunity from name-calling has even let me cunningly use it without shuddering at the fact and somehow grants its use no matter how politically incorrect it is. I am not considering a change of the word's use but if you believe this chain of reasoning is insufficient, there's always "that thing that starts with A". :lol:

That's why I recommended a new term, so you could define things how you want without having to deal with the millstones that the connotations of that term are.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 17:28

Mman wrote:Emphasis, again. Feuds from within the Unreal 1 community getting dragged here have been bad enough, let alone the kind of shit we have to deal with from a semi-popular site like Deviantart.

Oh shit, good point! We don't want the scum of the internet to infest our community. :p

Voting DARTS since we will know what it is, but it's different enough that it won't register on any furdar.

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009, 20:07

Mman wrote:Emphasis, again. Feuds from within the Unreal 1 community getting dragged here have been bad enough, let alone the kind of shit we have to deal with from a semi-popular site like Deviantart.

Good point!
But I still voted for the original because I dont think it sounds too offending. DARTS is nice though. :B

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009, 20:25

Looks awesome.

EA_Elemental
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009, 08:25

Carthage you are such a child hahaha Anime mentalist heh Looks nice though i suppose ;)

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009, 17:12

I take it you two know each other?

Also your gargantuan sig needs to go.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009, 17:25

Waffnuffly wrote:Also your gargantuan sig needs to go.

True enough. The maximum size for a signature here is 400x100 under the house rules.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009, 18:17

Gargantuan? You people should get monitors which can display more than 640x480 pixels at once. :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next