Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[usp] [ut] Na Pali Haven Redux walkthrough

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009, 21:12

Punisher wrote:Hope you come up with a 7B walkthrough next soon.

I'm not going to write one in the near future. Maybe I'll start to during summer, as for now I have an exam to do.
ImageImage

cornel001
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 22:34

Mister_Prophet wrote::o :tup: Thanx again to the UB dude!

One of these days I want to make a refined version of this to fix some of the bugs.

the mounted machine guns are buggy. but more buggy are the battles where are involved skaarj and vandora guard. they ignore each other.
Unreal addict

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 22:43

Yeah. I did that because stray shots would cause them to attack the player, which happened quite easily. And since I did not have the ONP buddy system integrated into the XidiaMPack, the only way to make sure they didn't attack the player was to make them automatons.

The map is quite bug ridden. I am more than aware of it. I consider Skytown Redux unfinished. That is my official verdict on it. A Map in progress that I may or may not have time one day to complete. But I don't like loose ends, so it's more than likely I will get around to it.

cornel001

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 22:51

Thanks for clarifications.
But I didnt understood what do you mean "stray shots would cause them to attack the player," ? That Nali would attack the player if the player by mistake hits them ?
Unreal addict

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 23:00

Yes. And it did not matter what I set their AI to. Even if friendly, they would always turn on the player if they ran into the player's gunfire. After Skytown and Seven Bullets I more or less developed a strong dislike for using "bots" in Unreal SP (even though I think 7B probably uses them the best out of any pack that has tried, with the sole exception of maybe Firestorm).

Very difficult to control.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 23:15

Friendly AI doesn't mean they'll directly help you. They'll just ignore you unless you continuously fire at them, unlike "Ignore attitude" when they'll attack you once you show one bit of hostility against them. I don't even remember if the Vandora Guards attack their real enemies if bothered by them.

Anyway, the VGs didn't cause any problems. The bug of the Machineguns was actually dangerous and it'd let you killed.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 23:19

The idea was to have them walk around shooting the Skaarj and ignore you completely as they did it. But I could not get it to work, so I decided to neuter them. It was a gameplay choice, yes.

I've never really looked at the map to see what was up with the INF turrets. If I recall I used them the same way I did in Xidia. I think it was more of a case of me just never figuring out the best way to tag them to a trigger than with the guns themselves. In any case, like a lot of things I used to do in my SPs, I dislike using them now (turrets I mean).

cornel001

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009, 23:34

"
I don't even remember if the Vandora Guards attack their real enemies if bothered by them.
"

they dont. if a skaarj hits them , thay dont react.
mr prophet, dunno if you know this, but actually if by mistake I hit a Nali, it still fire back at me. Somebody else also reported this in the review. At least since thay usually stand still and dont fight, its easier to avoid firing at them... I think ?

The machineguns problem here is : sometimes you "control" them but dont fire, sometimes if you drop them you dont get your weapon back ready to fire.

At least these are not bugs that would make map unplayable.
Unreal addict

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009, 00:04

Sometimes they will still bug out on you. Sometimes not. It's in the code, and at the time I was dealing with a chopped down version of the ONP weaponholder code UsAaR33 made for Xidia. In Xidia it wasn't a problem because all the pawns that we used were hostile.

Previous