Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009, 22:01

Jethro wrote:Really, really cool indeed, looks very convincing!

And I like the map :tup:

Thank you. That's map #2 (wtf5.unr) in the second series.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009, 23:22

nice :o

But wait.. does this mean wtf is going 227 only? Its a shame if your not using real dynamic arrays with those particles :o

According to the video it doesn't seem to kill the FPS so it might be alright anyway..

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009, 23:28

Very nice! The music makes it especially dramatic and the whole place just has this sad feeling to it

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 01:03

Frieza wrote:Very nice! The music makes it especially dramatic and the whole place just has this sad feeling to it

Thanx...that's what i was going for. The music is from the ending scene in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I thought it was a waste of a song just to only have it at the end of the movie. I liked it to much lol.

And no Jackrabbit, it's not going 227 only. If u read the original post, i said that i made the rain using only 2kb of custom content. My OWN custom content. It has nothing to do with 227.

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 06:59

Some new screenies of 4th map in production.

Image Image

Image Image

Most if not all of the credit for this map so far goes to Peanuts. Only thing I've done with this is help with texture alignment. :P

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 10:44

Looks like Ra(something) Mines.

Original Unreal mapping quality (that's a good term) :tup:
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 15:48

nice lighting :tup: Its a huge improvement from wtf2.unr!

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 15:55

Well, it is nice to see Unreal 1 styled maps but.. the lighting is .. not good. At least from the pics it looks really not good. If there is something that I would not suggest anybody today to make as like in unreal than it is the lighting. Even UT has some really extrem bad-lighted maps .. like Deck16.
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 16:32

Creavion wrote:Well, it is nice to see Unreal 1 styled maps but.. the lighting is .. not good. At least from the pics it looks really not good. If there is something that I would not suggest anybody today to make as like in unreal than it is the lighting. Even UT has some really extrem bad-lighted maps .. like Deck16.

you need to adjust your brightness on your monitor to properly view those screen shots (I don't think they are gamma corrected). The lighting aint bad at all. I've been playing unreal for over 7 years and I can tell whether a lightning scheme works or fails. It works here. The only thing I see wrong with the lighting is in the second picture ceiling texture... I bet if you rebuild lighting you might get better results with that.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 16:50

You did not understand one bit from what I told you. Never read for example DavidM`s tutorials, right? (for the case you are mapping yourself) I dont speak from the darkness from the screenshots. I am speaking for example of the colors.
The lighting aint bad at all. I've been playing unreal for over 7 years and I can tell whether a lightning scheme works or fails

Yearh and then tell some guys "Why even add lighting? Looks fine already"... alright. :rolleyes: (sry but this was necessary)

If somebody is interested to learn something about that
http://teamvortex.planetunreal.gamespy. ... hting.html

Overall I don`t really care, I am also not interested to argue with you if the lighting is overleet or not. And before you say: So you are the expert with lighting, hm? I would say: No, but I always try to make progress, looking at other maps, and sometimes looks at DavidMs tuts myself.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 17:19

I think the lighting looks functional. Admittedly maybe a bit too much white lights in there but it doesn't look too bad :o

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 17:39

It's a mine, not a cartoon. It looks fine. The sourcing could be better and the definition of shadows more refined, but the color is not the problem here.

DavidM's tutorial is good for the basics, but his stupid little red lamps have no place in 90% of the buildings people create. Why would an engineer designing a mine just add superfluous little red lamps everywhere? I wish more people would realize that games are supposed to represent real places and try to design them accordingly--at least for singleplayer maps.

The shots shown here actually look sorta realistic (although they lack safety features like railings above the lava!), which is good. The only truly WTF thing so far for me was the light fixture on rails on the ceiling. Why does this one light need to slide around on a fixed path? :p

There also should be more support fixtures below and above the catwalks suspended over the lava, and the machinery on the platform should have visible pipes and/or cables connecting them to something. Otherwise, they seem kinda useless.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 18:19

Lighting looks OK to me, but if you are interested in any tutorials then I would recommend Prophet's over DavidM's:

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... ing01.html
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 18:39

Creavion wrote:You did not understand one bit from what I told you. Never read for example DavidM`s tutorials, right? (for the case you are mapping yourself) I dont speak from the darkness from the screenshots. I am speaking for example of the colors.

I was never a big fan of DavidM :o

Creavion wrote:Yearh and then tell some guys "Why even add lighting? Looks fine already"... alright.

Actor->Info->Zoneinfo (add to world)

ZoneInfo0>ZoneInfo Properties->ZoneLight->AmbientLight

set that to 100 and you just saved yourself hours of work. On the other hand, you can bs though it until you want to pull your hair out.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=04_kamah8sbn.jpg <- which is probably worth it in the long run
Last edited by jackrabbit on 08 Apr 2009, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009, 18:43

jackrabbit wrote:
Creavion wrote:You did not understand one bit from what I told you. Never read for example DavidM`s tutorials, right? (for the case you are mapping yourself) I dont speak from the darkness from the screenshots. I am speaking for example of the colors.

I was never a big fan of DavidM :o

It does not matter if you like the guy or not, it is just he is simply right with that what he has written in his tutorial (well like it was said.. from the basics), thats the point.
@Scrag: Well looks also not bad.. never seen so far.

Previous Next