UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Nature Temple (Part 2)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Gasbags at daytime?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 14

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2007, 22:22

BSP Terrain ---> Rotate surfaces to be planar with horizontal axis + Align to Floor :B Fastest and prettiest way *I* know to do it. And I agree with UBerserker - those waterfalls could do better. Since you're gonna have some rocks anyway, crowding the waterfall's top with rocks will make it look more like water forcefully gushing out waterfall-style. :P And try making the waterfall into a curve.

User avatar Derdak2rot
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2007, 23:03

i think you can go for little more details there , like adding more mountain shapes and stuff in the distance ;)

also , such waterfall sheets looks not that great imo , make a proper 3d waterfall with help of 2d shape editor and add curves to it and deepness :wink:

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2007, 23:24

Suggestions taken, people! :o

I'll replace the small flows of water by a BIG FREAKING HUGE BEAM OF WATERKidding lol where you can have a shower at.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2007, 00:08

Rarsonic wrote:where you can have a shower at.

New feature? :tup:
It could make you less visible.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2007, 16:35

Jethro wrote:
Rarsonic wrote:where you can have a shower at.

New feature? :tup:
It could make you less visible.
It may also wipe away that awful smell of your armor that warns the Skaarj of your presence, even if you crouch and are behind them.

:tup:

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2007, 17:26

i like the subtle waterfall streams idea alot! but the big problem is that you use the same waterfall texture 3 times all scale differently, it looks sorta stupid that way.

i'd opt with Derdak2rot's idea, try working with other methods of creating a waterfall, imo multiple smaller waterfalls are so much cooler then one big massive one :)

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2007, 18:53

Hmmm...

I'm currently having a pair or three problems on my computer (but NT is safe, don't worry) so the development process is a bit stuck, right now.

I have edited the first post to put the summary of the map with little things changed (for example, the Sky Castle, being too "artificial" has been replaced by the weird world).

And in the meanwhile I'll think about what to do with the waterfall. :P

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008, 20:41

"Stupid" question:

How does your amout of RAM affect the BSP rebuild? I had to downgrade my memory from 512 to 256 Mb (but I'll get a fairly new computer soon) and I am a bit afraid to know what is going to happen with Nature Temple, which will relies on lots of terrain.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008, 23:12

If I were you, I would make all of the terrain in the map out of tessellated cubes and triangulated sheets. This way, you can shape parts of the rock to make as elaborate of a waterfall as you want, and just link a bunch of triangulated sheets together to fit over the rock terrain bits to make realistic looking waterfalls and an eroded-rock effect. There's tons more stuff you can do with tessellation, too.

If you want, I'll make a quick demo of some rocky cliffs with waterfalls and upload it, including the basic starting materials and transition brushes.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 00:16

I never noticed the first post being edited. It sounds like an unique take for a SP pack personally.
ImageImage

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 00:58

Waffnuffly wrote:If I were you, I would make all of the terrain in the map out of tessellated cubes and triangulated sheets. This way, you can shape parts of the rock to make as elaborate of a waterfall as you want, and just link a bunch of triangulated sheets together to fit over the rock terrain bits to make realistic looking waterfalls and an eroded-rock effect. There's tons more stuff you can do with tessellation, too.

If you want, I'll make a quick demo of some rocky cliffs with waterfalls and upload it, including the basic starting materials and transition brushes.

Yeah, we've talked about that in the old forums' thread. I use Nem's terrain generator, which allows you to edit a terrain based on triangulated sheets, and so far I haven't had BSP problems. I might use tesselated cubes for more specific tasks like making caves, rocks and such things that the terrain generator cannot cover.

And, reading the old thread I have already asked a similar question, and the answer was "no". I hope so, because I don't want to have a BSP error-ridden map just because of lower RAM. :D

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2008, 22:13

Back to my map again, and back using this thread as a UED-support thread. :lol:

Well... is there any limit to the light actors you can put in a map? Because I have to sunlit large areas and there's a limit to the radius of a light, so I have to insert a lot of them.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008, 00:08

Rarsonic wrote:Well... is there any limit to the light actors you can put in a map? Because I have to sunlit large areas and there's a limit to the radius of a light, so I have to insert a lot of them.

Not to my knowledge (there must be one, but it's probably out of reach for most maps). I suppose there could be a more immediate limit to the number of dynamic lights, but that shouldn't be a problem for your ambient daylight.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008, 11:14

If it's sunlit, can't you just use zone lighting, while having normal lights for added effect and specific sources?

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008, 12:42

TheIronKnuckle wrote:If it's sunlit, can't you just use zone lighting, while having normal lights for added effect and specific sources?

Maybe... :P I'll try, although I had already thought of this.

Previous Next