UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Unreal Evolution for UT3

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Sir_Brizz
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Unreal Evolution for UT3

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008, 22:14

I know some of you probably know me since I'm an admin over at BeyondUnreal. Today I've decided to start organizing an Unreal remake for UT3 that I'm (tentatively) calling Unreal Evolution.

Obviously, this is an enormous project to undertake, so I've decided it should probably be done in small sections and released in sections as well.

I'm planning to support level streaming, co-op, and lots of other things as well.

To do this, I'm going to need a lot of content authors. The code will probably be fairly straight forward, but there is a lot of content to make. As an introductory pass I want to remake NyLeve's Falls (it's the first complex map) in UT3.

If you want to help, let me know. We mostly need modelers, texture artists, skinners, animators but we can also use the help of coders and mappers (we have some mappers). Drop me a PM here or even better on BU with an example of something you've made before possibly.

Hope to see some positive response!

Tal Rasha
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008, 23:25

finnaly a reason for me to buy ut3
damn that would be awesome, everything with its polycount and resolution times 10000

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 01:36

Interesting for sure, this has the potential to be full of win. In my opinion you should really focus on re envisioning the locations, stay true to the layouts and feel of the original levels but do something new with them, make it grander. I'd hate to just see a plain port of the old levels with some updated graphics. But I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with :o

I'm not going to offer my services doing any mapping or modeling but I wouldn't mind re envisioning/remixing the old Unreal soundtrack, so if you need any help on the music front..

Sir_Brizz
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 01:49

We haven't decided what to do on the music front, but I'd love to hear what you have in mind. Sign up over on BU and PM me. I'll give you access to our private forum over there.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 04:05

I agree with what Frieza said (with some extra emphasis on "stay true to the layouts). On the other hand, you could go a few steps further on a few things. Cellars at Dasa Pass springs to mind, where you could very easily add a subplot or something to the map (considering the fights, I've always interpreted that place as the headquarters of the Krall). Also more scripted sequences etc would be good, considering that's something Unreal itself lacks in certain instances.

Hopefully this goes through; it sounds like it's being gone about the right way by remaking an iconic level like Nyleve first and getting the basics in place before going all-out.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 11:18

Of course I'd love to play Unreal on the new engine. It always seems a shame to me, though, to re-invent the wheel when you could be doing something new.

On the other hand, if the only way an SP project for UT3 is going to get built is my re-making the original game, then I'm all for it. :tup:

Does the project have a web site yet?

As for me, well, I'm not really in a position to help you build the thing, but I know the original game very well indeed, so I could perhaps be of some help in testing it (and promotion of it via this web site, of course).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 14:24

You know, this project sounds like it is full of win, but most of the mappers here are working on their own mods. Of course I can't speak for everyone, but i don't think you'll find as much help here as you wanted.

Blegh, forget about me and see what everyone else has to say first :P

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 18:08

Cool project. I suggest to collaborate with Unreal Retexturing Project. Maybe I'll be able to help in UScript as soon as I lay my hands on fresh copy of UT3 :).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008, 21:09

Raven wrote:Cool project. I suggest to collaborate with Unreal Retexturing Project.

Yearh, I thought the same. But I guess the Highres textures must be sized down a little bit, even for ut3 textures have a really high resolution.
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

--------------------------------------------------
>:E

Tal Rasha

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 23:57

we need concept artist to drraw the next generation of for example the vortex riker (exterior, hull) and nali huts

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 08:10

Welcome to forums, Sir_Brizz. \o/

If imported to UT3, does BSP world scale from Unreal1 feel OK? In UT2004 player was noticeably smaller than in Unreal/UT99. If it is OK, you may make very exact remakes of original maps, by importing BSP and placing static meshes and terrain right over it, and finally removing old BSP base.

Tal Rasha

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 01:51

kea wrote:Welcome to forums, Sir_Brizz. \o/

If imported to UT3, does BSP world scale from Unreal1 feel OK? In UT2004 player was noticeably smaller than in Unreal/UT99. If it is OK, you may make very exact remakes of original maps, by importing BSP and placing static meshes and terrain right over it, and finally removing old BSP base.
well, ut2004 already has it completely ported and working (as far as i know, as i sotped at mid nyleve) and the scale semmed perfect
the guy who made he mod said anyone could use the maps for their own mod so half the work is done!!!1

ill suicide at the edge of nyleves cliff just for the pleasure to see ragdoll bodies on unreal 1

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 04:34

Nice idea, I replied in the Beyond Unreal thread (you forgot to post the link), 3rd page, 5th post.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 19:21

And you don't have to make exact copies of U1 maps. Some new places to visit would be something fresh to the gameplay :).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2008, 02:54

Any news, screenshots?

...kidding.

Next