Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Every ID game ever made [edit] IS BACK on sale: 35$

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Every ID game ever made [edit] IS BACK on sale: 35$

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 17:19

I saw this on SA earlier and just had to look closer, because damn, 22 games for 35 bucks is a steal.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php ... &SubId=440

I didn't even have a Steam account before this, but I'm impressed with how well the service works now compared to how all the horror stories from its early days made it seem. And now, I have access to a ton of games I had never played before (on that list, I have only played Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom). :)

[Edit] Wow, it's 70 now. Good thing I jumped on it this morning!

[Edit2] And Darkon reports it is back for the holidays:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 29 Dec 2008, 23:47, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 18:55

It does sound strangely tempting even though I dont like Doom, Quake, Hexen and Wolfenstein..

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 19:13

Frieza wrote:It does sound strangely tempting even though I dont like Doom, Quake, Hexen and Wolfenstein..

That's heresy! :c

I never heard of Commander Keen. But god, I'd love to play Hexen again.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 19:41

UBerserker wrote:I never heard of Commander Keen. But god, I'd love to play Hexen again.

Commander Keen is teh win (well, ep.4 is, which is the only one that I've played).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008, 19:44

Hellscrag wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I never heard of Commander Keen. But god, I'd love to play Hexen again.

Commander Keen is teh win (well, ep.4 is, which is the only one that I've played).

Commander Keen was the hanging dude (x4?) in the second secret level in DoomII. They hang together in that little room at the end.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 03:30

Yeah, the price drop made it a no-brainer for me, especially since there's a bunch of stuff I wanted to check out anyway (and one of my Doom 3 disks is broken too so this also got me a new copy of that).

Too bad it's off now for others, but it was a weekend deal.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 08:18

Frieza wrote:It does sound strangely tempting even though I dont like Doom, Quake, Hexen and Wolfenstein..

How can it be?. :shock: Don't like Doom...

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 14:06

I dont care for those old pixellated shooters. I don't enjoy the monsters nor the environments.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 14:30

Getting them made me look back on the old forums at the Quake threads where Scrag goes through them, so after seeing the Quake 1 thread now I'm kind of confused:

Frieza wrote:I enjoyed this even though I played it for the first time in 2006 (with graphical enhancements like bumpmapping, coloured lighting, fog and HDR even)

Huh?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 14:32

Still heresy against Quake. It's not like there are many differences between it and Unreal in gameplay terms.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 15:53

Frieza wrote:I dont care for those old pixellated shooters. I don't enjoy the monsters nor the environments.

True.. it's like playing with evil lego....
Even the enhancements didn't do it for me. I've played it too much I think.. :wink:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 16:17

Quake 1 (with the new graphical engine) was ok, Quake 2 is just rubbish, and Quake 3 is outclassed in every way by UT. Quake 4 was just a borefest like Doom 3 was.

Quake is more than 1 game, so if I don't like 3 out of 4 that means that in general I don't like Quake :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 16:21

Quake 3 was good. The Quake series went downhill pretty quickly, like what's happening with Unreal's one now.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 23:35

Pity the reduction is off now... it's a tempting package. (I've only played the Quakes and Commander Keen, and no longer possess a copy of Q3A).

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 02:32

... 70moneys are still good for the WHOLE pack. It won't do for me though, mainly because i have almost all of those games already, and i definitely won't be installing/bothering with STEAM just for Commander Keen and Spear of Destiny (sorry Wolfie :[ ). On the other hand, i'd definitely suggest to anyone that didn't get those games to get them now, really.

Quake games:

Quake 1 was very good and still holds great today, in terms of straightforward action and interconnected levels. The Mission packs both offer new good levels, though IIRF DoE was somewhat short. Mind the graphics, but i believe this is also the most engine-modded of all 3 first Quake games, so you might find a decent engine if you don't like the original graphics (ex. Darkplaces engine).

Quake 2 and XPs remain a favorite of mine to load and blast, listening to Winamp in background rock hard. Also, Quake 2 has awesome soundtrack on its own - thanks to Sonic Mayhem - and Quad Machine remains an absolute favorite, along with Crashed Up Again, and Pressure Point. Rulez!

Quake 3 and Team Arena are SP-less (in the classic sense, though there's BOTs) and are as deep a gameplay as your state of mind at the time. Granted, i'll play UT 90% of the times i have a BOTmatch-twitch, i'd jump to the ONLINE Q3A much faster - UT online is lame-ified. Also, Id is preparing Quake Live (www.quakelive.com i think) that pretty much grabs Q3A and TA, perfects them, place add-support throughout maps, and is webbrowser-based (yes, you'd need only a fast internet connection and a browser). True revolution on the way. So is Q3A all useless then? Well i believe BOT support won't appear in QL (but it won't *need*), and Q3A mods aren't compatible (verify please), and overall Q3A would be a collectors package in the end. All this confirmed or not, when QL gets down to earth.

Quake 4... meh. Oh well, it come all together anyway...

DooM games:

OMG!Awesome! No really, i was just playing TNT episode of Final DooM before writing this. DooM is legend and is inexplicably addictive if you're into FPS action. Maybe its the vertically-locked POV, maybe huge maze levels, the awesome retro pixelated graphics, or simply the 2D enemies, weapons and items. I don't know. I just know i love it. Retro FTW!
(and on that note, i like to hunt down most or all old FPS's with retro engines - remember Cyclones, or Ehxumed? :] ) GET!
AND, more custom content online you could possibly ever play in you entire life and more actually being made every day!

DooM III is run of the mill. You'd get some good scares sometimes, but it works kinda HL in Mars and less exciting. There. D3. I prefer playing/replaying [classic] DooM games ANY day over D3 or any newer FPS generally, unless its a really good one.

Other DooM engine games:

Almost same as above, although i must say Heretic didn't feel as 'sharp'. Somewhat less 'focused' i'd say... Hexen >:]

I believe i didn't miss anything important here. Any questions regarding this piece of history that is Id work, ask away.
If you, like me, don't want STEAM and/or already have some of the games, i don't know if compensates in getting all there. Maybe just hunt down what you can online stores.

Also, there's no Wolfenstein Enemy Territory or Enemy Territory Quake Wars - perhaps due to them being done almost entirely by Splash Damage, or some rights regarding Activision, i don't know. What i know is that both WolfET and ET:QW are absolutely awesome (and WolfET is free anyway, just search and download) and i wholeheartedly recommend people to get BOTH, if you like objective-based gameplay online. This is what UT Assault should had been (and incidently, Assault never really grabbed my interest...). Really. Get. Fun online gameplay for entire weekends at a time (i know... but sooooo good)...

EDIT: zOmg, dork! Forgot RtCW! Linear but oh-so-charming-and-atmosferic SinglePlayer, and action. Won't break new ground but its a savory SP nonetheless; PLUS the great objective-based MP that gave way to the [free] perfected WolfET. Get.
...'sharp dressed man'...

Next