Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Uengine 2 tech demo...

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Uengine 2 tech demo...

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 23:03

Anyone seen this one before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5PkWKe4vs
some of it has UT in it afaik.. early version of the UE2??
(does anyone know that level actually?)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Uengine 2 tech demo...

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 23:15

Darkon wrote:Anyone seen this one before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5PkWKe4vs

Yep, seen it before, even in better quality (somewhere back in 2000 I think).

Darkon wrote:some of it has UT in it afaik.. early version of the UE2??

First part (strict techdemo) looks like early version of UEngine 2, I even think that one of indoor areas presented is taken from Unreal 2. But yeah, I was wondering why they included parts of UT into this movie (whole gameplay demo looks like normal UT to me).
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Uengine 2 tech demo...

Post Posted: 29 May 2008, 23:23

Jethro wrote:But yeah, I was wondering why they included parts of UT into this movie (whole gameplay demo looks like normal UT to me).

Tech demo for larger environments! :o

Yeah, I saw this one a lot of times. I so wanted that character shown at the beginning, but they just used a low-poly version of him as a boss of PS2 UT.
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 May 2008, 00:04

They were probably just reusing UT content as UC/UT2003 was far from finished at this point.

Anyway can anyone identify the music track they used in this video? It sounds really good and to be blunt I would like to use it somewhere myself.
StalwartUK

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 May 2008, 00:07

Well its just placeholder content i guess. I've seen this techdemo years ago as one of the first announcement of ue2, back when ut2003 was still unheard of and epic's next project was going to be "unreal2" (before development was dumped and slackered at legend)

some things in the video are quite interesting, the "motion captured" skeletal animation was first added for the PS2 version of UT, then afterwards included in 436, its not really that new.

The music track is from unreal2 i'm pretty sure, its an unused track for the skaarj encounter... i think.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 May 2008, 00:15

I remember that. We were all terribly excited about it at the time - many of the locations shown were quite Unreal-esque and we thought we might be looking at maps for Unreal 2.

Pity it all ended up so "meh"!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 May 2008, 08:49

I've seen this video, it'd be cool to get that UT1 engine w/ terrains and static meshes support. :D . But I guess Epic doesn't have such build of it anymore :o

User avatar GenMoKai
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 May 2008, 02:25

well :) i've seen this movie before and i also was really impressed :)
Darkon wrote:NOT a stupid question btw.. questions are not stupid.

Ok.. they can be retarded and obvious, but not stupid. :P
(questions about Ued are not stupid at all...and not retarded or obvious either.)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 May 2008, 03:08

Wow that's going back in time. This was pretty hardcore stuff back then.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 May 2008, 12:48

Saw it in a german PC game magazine - they said it's footage from Unreal 2, which of course turned out to be wrong :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 May 2008, 17:45

This comment written by Leo:

Legend developed U2 all the time from beginning since like 99, I am sure of that and I even have materials of that year saying it, when Nivlek (david kelvin) produced all star levels for half life opposing force, he was working on u2, then he moved to work on return to castle wolfenstein for grey matter or how's it called, the fault was on Atari's side as they were owner of the so called "new" Legend Entertainment.

Yes Epic planned to make U2 on their own but that is in like 98 together with level pack which they then cancelled and moved it to the back then rather newbie like new legend ent team, which they then started develing it in rather short time (RtNP).

The music track is the skaarj.ogg from the early days and yes it was included in final U2 but unused.

You know, the game at end was linnearized, cut down like one fourth of game content and levels (the quarter thingy according to beyondunreal liandriarchive http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_2) and maybe the best ones, unused or removed most of things which they had already done, forced them to remove multiplayer content because atari didn't want to cause competition to ut2003.

These things said by Legend in previews were not pack of lies like it's said here, but they were done, even in the prealpha there were these things like stasis grenade in grenaelauncher etc and I still have the source code:
http://www.subgamers.com/forums/action/ ... -lies.html

And that is, I believe the game had truly the most potential of all the Unreal sequels.

I am glad Atari isn't producing Epic's games anymore btw, because the games from that era are rather screwed or got screwed during developement before the real release.

Btw some pack of random old shots:
http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/download/scree ... 317_bw.idn

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 May 2008, 22:10

Mick.B wrote:I am glad Atari isn't producing Epic's games anymore btw, because the games from that era are rather screwed or got screwed during developement before the real release.

Many people are glad that Epic didn't go with Atari. Check.

Midway isn't any less retarded though, as shown with UT3.
ImageImage

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008, 18:26

Yeah, I know the movie. I have it at my PC for years now. Especially the large scale terrain support was amazed me.