ividyon will never get this done, will he.

What engine does Dark Vengeance use?

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: What engine does Dark Vengeance use?

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 18:04

There's this game, it's called Dark Vengeance, Alexander Brandon supplied a couple of music most of which came from the tracks he ORIGINALLY WROTE FOR THE BETA OF UNREAL.

Aesthetically it looks like Unreal engine (when it comes to the level geometry), but it has features that Unreal engine never shipped with such as real time extruding surfaces, alpha blends and actual particle systems.

Does anyone have this game, let alone installed would be willing to post a screenshot of what it's directory looks like?
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: What engine does Dark Vengeance use?

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 19:17

Draco Nihil wrote:...most of which came from the tracks he ORIGINALLY WROTE FOR THE BETA OF UNREAL.

On a somewhat off-topic note, it still baffles me how facts like these remain a source of ENDLESS JOY AND EXCITEMENT for people in the community. I mean... so what?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 19:25

That's not such a bad thing now is it? But really when I figured out what "tarwel" came from and how Unreal Suspense is in this game albeit remixed, it blew my mind. Epic didn't want to use those tracks in Unreal so it ended up getting used in a completely unrelated in every sort of way game.

The blood effects in this game also look vaguely like the polygonal blood that the beta versions of Unreal used. (and also like that strange "BulletHit" particle that's still in the game)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 19:53

Wow, so Tarwel came from there. Interesting info.
ImageImage

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 21:05

Yeah it plays in the second level of the game. I find it unusual how the samples are all saying this was "Skytown" but has there even been a unreal beta with that specific song in it?

It's also a XM file, these are like the only XM files I ever found that Alexander Brandon could of possibly written himself but I have a vague feeling he did not use FastTracker II but someone took his work and converted it to XM for whatever stupid reason...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013, 22:51

Tarwel was not used in any beta, no evidence of it being used in Unreal either.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013, 22:19

Had to google to find out what game you are talking about...

And WOW, anyone still remembers this game! I used to play the shit out of it when I was like 10. I loved the gladiator class and the music was great, somehow back then I never put thought in how similar it sounds to unreal (and how it shares tracks with the beta!).

Probably, judging from the video's and from my own memories, this game has no relation to unreal at all (except for Alexander Brandon), if I recall the folder structure wasn't even remotely close to that in unreal, just too bad I can't verify this as I lost my copy somewhere in the last millennium.
Besides a lot of BSP based games back then looked similar to the unreal engine (Montezuma's return, Severance, Lithtech NOLF, Enclave, FAKK2 come to my mind), so i'm not very surprised by the similarities.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013, 00:55

That's a damn shame Turboman... and wow never would of expected you to have this game, it seems pretty obscure..

I'm probably going to try to find a copy of myself, I know someone else who has it but he hasn't much spare time to try it and I'm not sure if it happens to unfortunately be a game with a crappy installshield program...

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013, 13:13

The engine is R.I.V.E.T. No idea if it's a derivative or homebrew. Dark Vengeance was also published under GTInteractive/Infogrames/Atari so I'm not very surprised it had Brandon in it. The music was likely supplied by the publisher as using your B-Sides from one game in another is somewhat frowned upon.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013, 13:16

ividyon wrote:
Draco Nihil wrote:...most of which came from the tracks he ORIGINALLY WROTE FOR THE BETA OF UNREAL.

On a somewhat off-topic note, it still baffles me how facts like these remain a source of ENDLESS JOY AND EXCITEMENT for people in the community. I mean... so what?

On a somewhat off-topic note, it still baffles me how the CEO of UnrealSP which is an Unreal-centered site in its own right, is baffled by the community members being passionate about stuff related to the game ;) :P

The game has its own engine, like zYnthetic said -- and it's quite the fantasy romp. Fun fact, Unreal was to be a fantasy game initially, judging from the early stuff.

Also, Suspense / Smite's Theme seems to be a remix of the Unreal's Suspense track. Underworld is in its full 4-section version.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.