Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Unreal Development Kit Section

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011, 21:55

You are being extremely ridiculous now.

I request these few Off Topic posts to be removed. Thanks.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2136
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 20:01

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011, 19:43

UDK is not a game. UDK is a Development Kit. It is not a game. It doesn't need to have anything except the editor and... Documetation.

You should be thankful that it has ANY stuff there in the actor browser. Have you ever seen UE 2 editor? There was NOTHIG there. One map, 3 classes under actor. Mover, pawn and playerpawn under pawn. Nothing more. Nothing. Epic is extremely generous with the UDK content.

redeye
Banned Banned
Posts: 1393
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 06:55

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011, 20:17

Qtit wrote:UDK is not a game. UDK is a Development Kit. It is not a game. It doesn't need to have anything except the editor and... Documetation.

You should be thankful that it has ANY stuff there in the actor browser. Have you ever seen UE 2 editor? There was NOTHIG there. One map, 3 classes under actor. Mover, pawn and playerpawn under pawn. Nothing more. Nothing. Epic is extremely generous with the UDK content.



I can agree with that, but so many more people would learn and use it if they added a little more.It's not like the UT days when we had 10 new maps a week, now it will be one giant thing that only a few will bother enough to work with it.
Heck look at all the maps just for unrealSP, now it's all screwed up right when we could make maps look much better.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1915
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011, 20:44

redeye wrote:
Qtit wrote:UDK is not a game. UDK is a Development Kit. It is not a game. It doesn't need to have anything except the editor and... Documetation.

You should be thankful that it has ANY stuff there in the actor browser. Have you ever seen UE 2 editor? There was NOTHIG there. One map, 3 classes under actor. Mover, pawn and playerpawn under pawn. Nothing more. Nothing. Epic is extremely generous with the UDK content.



I can agree with that, but so many more people would learn and use it if they added a little more.It's not like the UT days when we had 10 new maps a week, now it will be one giant thing that only a few will bother enough to work with it.
Heck look at all the maps just for unrealSP, now it's all screwed up right when we could make maps look much better.


Redeye...I see your point...but it's not made for making maps. It's meant for making entire new games. Of which I have seem many many UDK games coming out recently. UDK has nothing to do with Unreal at all except for the fact that it's made by Epic and it is essentially the Unreal Engine. I have no idea how to use it either lol...but I mess around with it cause it's cool, and I've played a few of the games for it that have been made with the UDK, and it's really neat ^^

You should check out: http://www.udk.com/showcase

and try Hazard: http://www.udk.com/showcase-hazard

Mad fun puzzle game if you're into that. GUI system is really cool, being entirely controlled as you play the game.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 18 May 2011, 19:16

ImageImage

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011, 11:08

June beta is out

Check out this page for the new updates http://www.udk.com/news-beta-jun2011
Hawken got its own UDK preview entry too.
ImageImage

redeye
Banned Banned
Posts: 1393
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 06:55

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011, 20:51

I got my email from UDK site, and I must say they are doing a lot of pretty cool things, and making it easier.Like paint on foliage, they have a day and night global setting, instant in game results for things.

really quite the deal
pretty soon it will make the old style mapping seem tedious.
they are automating things that would take a long time to do otherwise.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 252
Joined: 21 Jul 2008, 17:46
Location: Singapore

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 19:32

redeye wrote:I can agree with that, but so many more people would learn and use it if they added a little more.It's not like the UT days when we had 10 new maps a week, now it will be one giant thing that only a few will bother enough to work with it.
Heck look at all the maps just for unrealSP, now it's all screwed up right when we could make maps look much better.


I actually sympathize a lot with redeye regarding his views on UDK vis-a-vis Unreal/UT. I was actually initially quite excited with UDK and seriously thinking of purchasing some of the instructional material around for using UDK, such as the training videos at Eat 3d. After learning some of the facts about UDK on this thread, though, I'm now honestly having second thoughts...

Ah, well, maybe I'll just go back to editing maps in good old UT99. Or even Doom engine game maps (always wanted to make a good group of maps for Hexen, an all-time favorite of mine). Call me a throwback.

UBerserker wrote:You are being extremely ridiculous now.

I request these few Off Topic posts to be removed. Thanks.


Redeye was just voicing his own thoughts; I'm sure he wasn't trying to force his views on anyone.

We're all entitled to our own views. Live and let live.
Last edited by Taz on 26 Jul 2011, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 19:58

Welcome to some months ago.
This thread is about UDK updates and projects, and help questions, not those opinions of any kind (especially when they have NOTHING to do with the objectives of UDK). Please don't continue the discussion.
ImageImage

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 252
Joined: 21 Jul 2008, 17:46
Location: Singapore

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:01

Let the mods decide the matter. I'm just voicing my thoughts. :/

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:03

Seriously what?
I created the thread just for those specific reasons. I don't want to scroll down the thread just to see "blah blah I want to go back to modding my old game blah blah" etc.
Once again, stop it unless you want to ask something related to UDK. Otherwise, create a new thread.
Last edited by UBerserker on 26 Jul 2011, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 252
Joined: 21 Jul 2008, 17:46
Location: Singapore

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:04

:/ :shake:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4140
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:08

Taz wrote:I actually sympathize a lot with redeye regarding his views on UDK vis-a-vis Unreal/UT. I was actually initially quite excited with UDK and seriously thinking of purchasing some of the instructional material around for using UDK, such as the training videos at Eat 3d. After learning some of the facts about UDK on this thread, though, I'm now honestly having second thoughts...

As has been said (quite a few times, even in this thread I think), UDK is not a mod framework - it's a GAME framework. A mod is inherently easier to make than a game, because you're taking existing assets and code and turning them into something new with most of the work already done for you. A GAME framework is broader; you have fewer of the pieces assembled for you, but the ones that ARE done are generally the most difficult to make (the engine). Instead, it's up to YOU to make all the monsters, AI, art assets, etc. and turn the result into a game, which you ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF. That is a tremendous difference from something like Unreal.

Unreal/UT = thing you can use to make fun things for your portfolio / hobby work
UDK = thing you can use to actually create a business and make money

Naturally, then, for UDK projects, you're going to either need a lot more dedication and skill to pull off a successful project, or you're going to need a team. The UDK is not and never was designed as a modding platform - it's a game platform, for making entirely new games (almost) from scratch. The hardest parts have been done for you already - the engine is functional and supported by Epic - but you still have to do a ton of the work yourself, by design.

Once you understand how UDK was designed (which Epic has been very clear about from the beginning), the [lack of] included features make perfect sense.
Image

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 252
Joined: 21 Jul 2008, 17:46
Location: Singapore

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:17

And that's the trouble. How many around are going to have the time and resources available to create their own new game, with its own monsters, weapons etc, as opposed to just a simple game level/map?

Certainly not me. Which is why I'm going back to good old Unreal/UT mapping. Until I make my first million so I can organize and financially support a team for making a new game using UDK (fat hope :rolleyes: ).

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7926
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:29

Talented people are able to. That's why you need yourself a team: many people to achieve different tasks. A way to give veteran modders for shining in the game industry.

Check The Ball, or Hawken.
ImageImage

Previous Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2001-2019 UnrealSP.org

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited