Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Unreal Development Kit Section

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Unreal Development Kit Section

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010, 13:44

Yeah I spotted that too (looks like an animated sheet, fake), unless it's really raining heavily and I don't notice it due to the low-quality vid.

Really great showoff of the features anyway.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010, 17:04

sana wrote:Silly trailer. That's not how rain looks on vertical rock surfaces!

UE3 has never had even remotely realistic-looking water :I

Everything else is pretty cool though!

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010, 19:10

Waffnuffly wrote:UE3 has never had even remotely realistic-looking water :I

Bioshock had... Tho it was vastly modified UE2.5...

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010, 00:58

I was trying to build a time-of-day system for UEngine 1, involving a change in sunlight actor color, skybox shifting, and timed interior lights/streetlamps. Still working on it.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010, 05:16

I'm always interested in these tech videos.

of course, Uengine was always pretty...

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 11:33

I have to admit the balance between realism and impressionism is good. That video is one of the few which didn't make me think that I could never "feel" the environment. I just hope that creatures used in such an environment will be in the same class (visual, animation, AI).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 10:52

December Beta is out

UDK’s iOS development feature set includes:
•The full source and content for “Epic Citadel,” plus an additional castle demo map;
•Support for major Unreal Engine 3 desktop features, including the award-winning Unreal Editor and its fully integrated suite of tools including Unreal Kismet, Unreal Cascade and Unreal Matinee;
•Superior rendering systems, including Unreal Lightmass global illumination supported by Unreal Swarm distributed computing;
•Content streaming functionality: Build huge, seamless environments;
•Advanced lighting and shadowing such as per-pixel lighting and real-time shadows;
•Console-quality capabilities: Make games with animations, particle effects and player collision;
•Full Unreal Kismet visual scripting functionality: Create games without having to modify program code;
•Convenient mobile previewer makes it possible to emulate games at native resolution for quick iteration;
•UDK Remote enables iOS devices to serve as wireless controllers with full touch and tilt functionality for testing games on the computer;
•New Unreal Frontend system compiles scripts and deploys builds for multiple platforms with the simple click of a button.

Also, the man himself behind maps such as the Temples of Vandora and Velora, Shane Caudle, hosts a Jazz Jackrabbit (holy shit) tutorial. This is only for iOS though, I don't know if it works for PC too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5IxyZ_hj54
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 10:53

February 2011 Beta
http://www.udk.com/news-beta-feb2011

Updates and new features in the link.

Also from Mark Rein
We just wanted to let you know that we've raised the revenue threshold for UDK. Under the new rules you are not required to pay royalties on revenue earned from the use of UDK until that revenue exceeds US$50,000 which represents a 10-times increase over the previous threshold of US$5,000.

We're really excited about folks making some amazing things with UDK and we realize that a lot of you are just started in the business so not having to pay royalties on your first $50,000 should help you get a financial footing toward building a quality game development business.

One thing some folks didn't seem to realize is that whether you sell your product through digital distribution (or a retail location) the company doing the sale to the end user (called the "retailer") takes a cut (typically around 30%) for their efforts. The price they sell it for is called the retail price. The amount of money they pay to you on each sale is called the wholesale amount. When you pay us royalties you pay on the wholesale amount, i.e. the money you actually receive.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 14:46

HOLY SHIT!

I... I really like this news.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 21:33

Oh... Damn... Yeaa....

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011, 09:56

Epic is throwing out the big weapons

Epic Games was showing off the latest Unreal Engine 3 Direct X 11 bells and whistles in its "Samaritan" tech demo this week at GDC.

All of these things should be incorporated into next month's UDK build, but you'd need a beast of a computer to run what's seen here. According to Kotaku a video should be released sometime next week, but until then you'll have to settle for some pretty impressive pictures at 1Up.

holy shit
ImageImage

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011, 14:52

This doesnt look like next Unreal title:P ( since ue3 was presented on eary GoW stuff i presume this is ( whtever it is) Epics next conept).

Crazy shit!!!!!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011, 14:54

They're going to do a new IP.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011, 15:53

The thing that really impresses me about it is that it was apparently rendered real-time on three Geforce GTX 580 cards in SLI; assuming the rest of the system used wasn't THAT outlandish the general rate of graphics card improvement means this level of visuals could potentially be reached within a few years.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011, 19:42

OMFG WANT

Hope my PC (which I think is nowadays high-end monster (I plan on buying another GPU)) will be able to handle this. Just... WOW.

Previous Next