Scout-kun is a lie... right?

evilgrins Maps & Skins Megathread

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: DM-HallOfGiants-IVish

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020, 11:35

Always been a big fan of maps with monsters in them, since long before UT ever had MonsterHunt; yes I've been playing that long. Didn't happen very often, and when it did it wasn't always on maps that were very good (not everything can be CTF-ProjectX) but it always made for a good change of pace. Especially when playing online, there's never a guarantee whatever game you join will be well populated... so monsters give you something to do whle you're waiting.

This is my favorite kind of map.

This is an update of an edit from 2012:
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/76389.html

A chief complaint about that oldie was the Warlords on the map gave players 3 points when killed, plus once they were dead they were gone for good. So in looking to get around that problem I had to find monsters that don't give anymore points when killed than any other bot or player, and preferrably didn't die so easily.

Boss: This is a monster of Xan. You all know Xan. Well, other than he holds his weapon funny (no pun intended) this is basically the same. He can take several hits from redeemers, once he gets his hands on one he can shoot them too, and he's got his own voicepack built in.

Cyberus: Taken from the Legacy Single Player game by Jack Griffin (aka GoPostal to some) this is 1 tough monster. Completely unkillable though slow moving, and has multiple weapons. It has full intensity dispersion ammo, redeemers, a weird angle shot that's hard to describe, and if you wander under him when he's flying you may burst into flames.

GrimReaper: This is by far the most powerful monster anyone ever made for UT99. It can survive multiple redeemer hits, teleport, move at blinding speed, fly, fire redeemers (which is not it's usual weapon of choice) and it fires others monsters (called SkullHeads) as a projectile. I was originally going to remove him after I couldn't remove that monster firing ability, as SkullHeads are scary enough on their own, but I figure if you're playing with redeemers they're not too terrifying... just very creepy in ambient sound.

HallGuardians: In the previous version of this map I took away their projectiles, but due to another monster on this map I gave them back with an upgrade. Sometimes called the "Taste the Rainbow" Skaarj, these 4 come in all team colors but they're only on their own team. Setup to be able to survive multiple redeemer hits... they do an amazing job fighting SkullHeads.

Player: I tossed a SkaarjPlayerBot into the mix... just because it can respawn. He's capable of winning the game, but he likely won't even come close if there's redeemers involved.

Unreal Tournament Deathmatch Warlord: This is one to watch out for. Capable of surviving a couple redeemer hits, it fires redeemers and it respawns too. As you can see, it can win the game potentially and given it's usually flying very far from the blast range that means it doesn't lose points as much as most other players... though it is funny when it kills itself as it insults itself (in the 3rd person) in a very self criticizing sort of way.

If you play this map with a redeemer mutator you stand a chance, though maybe not with conventional weapons. I haven't tested this with mutators that swap redeemers for other weapons, so no idea how that may impact things.

Either way, it should be fun.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/l5qw8telj ... -IVish.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: Jewel of the Warlord: CTF & CTF4

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020, 10:33

More often than not I tend to play MonsterHunt online and Capture the Flag offline, because MH is pretty crystal clear and it's everybody against the monsters, but CTF online folks tend to play the game less than setup their bases just to kill whoever comes for them; played basically like Team Deathmatch with bases.

JewelOfTheWarlord is one of my fave CTF maps, and it comes in that and CTF4. Part of why I started editing Team Monsters onto these kinda maps is to make things more challenging, as they're unpredictable. They play to their team but they don't much care about the flag and unlike the other bots they don't follow orders. So you have to keep an eye out for the ones on the other team because the only thing they want to do is kill anyone not on their team.

It's kind of ironic the thing I love about them is the same as what I complain about how folks play CTF online.

There's plenty of room for those with flying mutators though it's hard to determine exactly where the edges of the map are.

Edited both versions with UTDMW:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5w9kovc02 ... arlord.zip

You'll need this for the CTF4 gametype:
http://www.evilut.com/MultiCTF2Beta5_ZIP.zip

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.png = pwetty

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Jewel of the Warlord: CTF & CTF4

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020, 19:36

It's funny how time can wash your memory of things. I recall this being a DM map.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020, 04:05

Mister_Prophet wrote:I recall this being a DM map.

Really? I can't imagine it for DM... it seems too narrow.

That's kinda cool!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020, 21:13

It's entirely possible that I'm remembering very wrongly...or maybe there was a less popular DM version that I'm thinking of. Regardless, this is the level that had the mayhem.umx which I liked so much that I used it in my first ever DM level for UT.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020, 07:13

Mayhem is one of my fave bits of UT music. I put it on a lot of edits I work on.

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: MH-KillThemAll[EG] · well that only took about 9 years

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020, 07:57

I'm something of a credit whore when it comes to my edits, I obsessively try and get permission from the original maker of a map. Not so easy to do as most of those older mappers are long gone, but their downloaded .zip/.rar files often include a ReadMe with an email address which sometimes isn't completely unused anymore. In this case it was a post about this map on DestinationUnreal's forums that finally introduced me to the mapper who originally made this...

...and I was granted permission to work on any and all maps that mapper made.

I started working on this map somewhere around 2011, possibly 2010. It's been done several times but I kept re-fining it. Finding new monsters that I wanted to include, and then later I was about to release when a new redeemer came into existence due to something I made mention of in ut99.org's forums, and it seemed better than what I had before. Some monsters caused repeated errors and needed replacing.

I wanted everything to be just right, and it didn't slow down other projects. I've edited about 100 maps, most for my own use, while I was working on this one.

A few things:
· Maps I edit aren't specifically made for servers. Love it when people do put them on their servers, but mostly I setup for home games or possibly LAN games. Still, whoever you are reading this if you think this will work for your server then have at it.

· Map is a series of boxes, most of which have CreatureFactories in them. Monsters do not start spawning until a player or bot enters a room, most every room is blocked by a box. You beat all monsters in the room, you destroy the box to get into the next room... or if you're facing particularly hard monsters to beat you can try and break the box prematurely and get monsters started up in the next room. If you don't play with something that prevents monsters from fighting each other then maybe they can kill each other off making it easier for you and your team to get past there.

· As with most setups like this, each set of monsters is a little tougher than the last set. Though there's more than 1 wave here. The further you go the tougher they get... but then they get easier again and the cycle starts anew. The end of the 1st tough cycle is 6 rooms in.

· Once you beat the monsters in the final room, you take a QuantumJet and fly up to the exit. If you're one of those that likes to rush to the end of a map... good luck! I don't think that's possible here without cheating, but more points to you if you can manage it.

· Other more experienced mappers than I setup bot-pathing on this map, the folks at ut99.org are cool like that. This enables bots to traverse the entire map, although they can't end it; need a human player for that. This does cause 1 potential issue though, as some monsters are good at back-tracking pathing and will come at you all the way back to your starting room. There are a couple monsters on this map that do that frequently... so don't assume you're safe where you regularly spawn in.

· The redeemer on this is of the Nyan Cat variety. I sorta skinned the pickup but the dropped redeemer won't look like that; skinning weapons is tricky. I believe this is the latest version that was released. It's got a bit more punch than a standard redeemer, which is especially handy if you've got monsters that found your starting point.

· I play with bots all the time, not everyone does. I highly recommend use of bots on this map, as even when their skills aren't the sharpest they can still track an enemy faster than a human player can, and you may need that edge from time to time. Bots are you friends, not everything comes from SkyNET.

For those who live in areas where they're currently being encouraged (or forced) to stay home, this should make for an interesting challenge. I tested this map with 20 bots helping me, and it took us about 3 hours just to get to the final room... and another 45 minutes after that to get to the exit. We used no other mutators than something to keep healing us and reloading all ammo, so input from others that play this would be appreciated.

Specifically:
· How long did it take you to beat the map?
· Were you using any special mutators?

I'd really like to know.

Enjoy · http://www.mediafire.com/file/v2170qqvo ... MH-KTA.zip

Usual suspects:
.utx - /textures
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.umx - /music

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: Had to make a wee alteration to something

Post Posted: 31 May 2020, 21:14

This is an update to 1 of these · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/99808.html

Previous version was from before I started adding UTDMT, UTDMW, & UTDM prefixes to map names. Also the previous version had Titans above ground, behind each castle, but that was mostly for my own play standards. I don't usually telefrag others but many would to get an edge fighting team-allied monsters. With transloc disabled, the only real way to enter the castles is to run around the back which is where the Titans would see them; usually UTDMT don't wander around much from where they start until after they've died the 1st time.

But not everyone is so averse to telegragging

So I moved some things around.

Added UTDMW (Warlords) that start up front of the castles, to "greet" the enemy when they come a' calling.

This is a map of surface & trenches with underground tunnels. There's 2 main tunnels on each side that run the length of that team's territory with a couple other tunnels, just as there's about the same number of trenches which are handy for avoiding getting killed by snipers.

I moved the 1 Titan down into the main 2 tunnels and added another Titan, 1 for each tunnel. Also for my own reasoning of how I play...

...when I get the flag and arrive back on my side but the other team has my team's flag, I usually duck into the tunnels. With 1 bot backing me, I can usually survive long enough for my team to get the flag back. Now though I can have a Titan backing me, which makes for a handy shield in those rare instances someone brings a redeemer into the mix.

Usual Suspects:
.u /systems
.unr /maps

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9w79rf5o5 ... gdoms2.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: CTF-UTDMT-FragIsland

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020, 09:09

This is an edit of this map:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... f4720.html

What we have here is an island, with 2 mountains on it, and flag bases on either side. There's a small valley between them, with a redeemer. It was a pretty decent map already but much better after Nelsona enhanced the pathing.

I tried several different redeemers (Standard, NyanCat, Fireworks, UKbadBoy) before I settled on one. The map's music is blanked, so I figured the NyanCat was the best choice.

It's a little more powerful than a standard redeemer and it plays amusing music before it nukes whatever it can.

The map has 2 Kaiju-sized Titans, 1 by each team base...
For the most part, they probably won't get involved in gameplay that much. With so much empty space and nothing holding them back, once they start wandering there's really no stopping them. I tend to run to my team's Titan when I've got the flag for the extra backup but that's not so effective when it's up to its knees in ocean.

Don't follow it, the water will kill you.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - pwetty

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fnz6qlj5m ... Island.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: CTF-UTDMW-JiS-WOOT: let the dogfights begin!

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020, 20:21

Before I get into this, I'd appreciate if anyone who tries this out informs me if it works online. My current situation doesn't allow me to host games though I can join the games of others.

Years ago this was 1 of the first maps I played online that had flying vehicles on it, I only found out what it was called again a few months back. Hopefully what I've added to it won't change how well it plays online.

Tried for weeks to find the original mapper, but apparently Seismic moved on from ut99 to ut2004 and then no idea what happened to him.

Originally this map only had ZenCoder/Gandhi's Quantum Fighters on it, but now it's got 4 flying vehicles... 5 if you count the wings.

Bat-Wings: Basically once you've picked up an egg, they spring out from your back whenever you jump or fall from something. Eggs are located behind each flag base in open space, mostly so bots wouldn't get them though they sometimes still do. You leap out, snag it, and then start hitting whatever is your crouch key to flap. Flying speed is about the same as a Warlord unless boosted either from ejecting from a flying vehicle or you can get a speed boost from any of the jump pads around the map.

Wings can make boosted jumps last longer as they allow for gliding.

If you've got wings they tend to be visible when you're flying in any other vehicle.

Rocket-X: Going by the tags on it, this is an official version for the =VulpineMission= forum. I went through a lot of jets to try and find one that didn't have that green screen issue, but I'll get back to that. This particular Rocket-X has unlimited ammo and if you decide not to fly but just shoot it can work like a heat seeking redeemer so long as you get a lock on your target.

RoseBum's Flying Saucer: There's only 2 versions of this that I know of and this is the 2nd as it had less green screen issues than the original. Unlike the original it's not effective to just shoot it at passing targets, the projectile kinda sucks so far as (didn't come with a ReadMe) I can tell. As a flying saucer it has unlimited ammo, and I think it can kinda skim surfaces a little less explodey than the Rocket-X. Also, it can come to a complete stop, you can exit it and use the saucer like a staging platform to fire other weapons from.

Overall the saucer doesn't look as good design-wise as the original version, but like Han Solo said it's got it where it counts.

SLV2 - StrangeLove: Having no projectiles, this vehicle is fast enough but it's mostly a ride & die situation. Heavy with the green screen issues but it has its moments. Been riding Rocket-X and the Flying Saucer enough times to get surprised by a bot on an SLV actively chasing me around the map... and of course the thing is basically a nuclear missile so ramming the target is kinda the idea.

Bots can fly the SLV and the Bat-Wings really well, not so much the Rocket-X or Flying Saucer... though they do occasionally launch those things. The one thing bots can't manage at all is the Apache.

Unreal Apache: It has limited but powerful ammo, including cannons & missiles & heat seekers. It's only a little faster than a Warlord but it can fly backwards which is handy. I placed it in such a way that bots can't get access to it, they tend to "fly" them only on the ground which eventually results in an explosion that crashes the map; I've crashed it a few times and never crashed the map so bots + Apache = BAD!

Unlike all other vehicles on the map, you can't use the Apache to get the flag. It won't fit into the area where the flag is... though if you have the flag you can jump into it and fly away.

To fly the Apache involves getting on top of it and falling into the cockpit. Translocator can get you up there or you could use the Bat-Wings to fly above it and drop.

Green Screen Issue: Most of the original flying vehicles employed a visual effect of a green haze that fills the entire HUD to simulate being in a cockpit. It becomes problematic if you crash or eject as the green screen doesn't go away, though if you wait until you run out of fuel you're automatically ejected, there's no green screen, and if you've got Bat-Wings you can fly somewhere else from there.

Most of the Rocket-X type vehicles have this, I thought the one I chose didn't but it turns out it has something similar but in a less obvious color. SLV & Flying Saucer has it too, but the Apache doesn't and neither does the Quantum Fighter. Depending on how long a game you play it may not be that bad of an issue, but it intensifies the more you ride (as in get in it again and launch) the particular vehicles that cause it... in really long games you can get practically snow blind.

And as with many CTF maps I edit, there are UTDMW (Unreal Tournament Deathmatch Warlords) on this map; 6 total, 3 to a team. They can't fly as fast as most of the vehicles on this map but what they fire can outpace those vehicles and shoot them down... so don't get cocky.

Overall, this map suffers 1 not too surprising problem... conflicts. If you switch different vehicles a lot without dying you may find ejecting to be difficult. No conflict between the Rockey-X & Flying Saucer, as they're basically the same kinda thing... but I have found difficulty ejecting from the Quantum Fighter sometimes if I was previously in an Apache.

There are rare occasions of having Bat-Wings and they're not working if you've ejected from a vehicle but that doesn't happen too often.

Quantum Jets are only a little faster than Warlords, but they also have unlimited guided missiles. They are located exclusively on the platform in-between the bases.

Each base has a number of other weapons for those who don't want to fly, and players from either team can get to each base by other means than flying.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!
.txt - Read Me

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/t3erz7mbdy79v6j/CTF-UTDMW-JiS-WOOT.zip

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: CTF-UTDM-ZeitkindProFinal

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020, 04:51

I've always been a big fan of city maps, especially for CTF if it's possible to go inside of the buildings... and in this, it is!

Snipers are gonna love this map.

This is the kinda map that after I present it somewhere, Hook & MEAT without fail start requesting I convert it to Deathmatch for them, for their redeemer servers, but fortunately that won't be necessary. The mapper that made this map made multiple versions, across multiple games: Unreal1, ut99, & ut2004... and they're all available on UnrealArchive.

You can find all versions here: https://unrealarchive.org/search/index.html?q=Zeitkind

Seeing as the mapper made so many versions, I figure one more can't possibly hurt.

This is a Capture the Flag map with multiple levels, among multiple buildings, with all sorts of things going on that have nothing to do with CTF. You could very easily get lost in this place, it is vast. From rooftop battles to fighting in the streets to an underground network of sewers and tunnels, this map has it all. There's also 3 lifts that will take anyone all over the map should you be able to get to them before someone else does, they're not so much elevators as low-gravity hover-vehicles.

Each base has its own Titan, a UTDMT that will protect its territory strenuously. However, that's not all. With so much space to work in, I decided to go that extra mile.

In the lowest levels of the city is a small park, and it is the home of Mr. & Mrs. Big Butts. Kind of the resident homeless couple, they will defend that area feverishly... though Mr. Big Butts is not above proactively defending by going after players that have ventured too close.

From the upper rooftops, the city is protected by the Green Hornet and his partner Kato, who unleash their own brand of justice on all who catch their attention. They don't like the homeless population or people playing CTF.

So you can play CTF while dealing with oncoming fire both from the other team as well as these other elements...
...or you can let someone else worry about the other team's flag and just mix it up with all the fighting going on all over the place.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.uax - /sounds
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fj9ownk2pkaib1p/CTF-UTDM-ZeitkindProFinal.zip

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: CTF-UTDM-ZeitkindProFinal

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020, 19:11

Wow, never saw that map before but it looks a bit more like a real city! I mean, not the best in terms of detail, but that can be overlooked if it's fun and a huge, complex, asymmetric layout. Is this one asymmetrical or do the screenshots just not make it obvious?

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: Re: CTF-UTDM-ZeitkindProFinal

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020, 20:47

Buff Skeleton wrote:Is this one asymmetrical or do the screenshots just not make it obvious?

The bases are symmetrical, but only the bases. The surrounding city is completely different on all sides and levels.

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: MH-Xvehicles-GardenOfDeath

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020, 21:58

I've in mind adding vehicles to the Appalachian Wonderland maps, DOM & CTF... maybe DM too, so I wanted to review Ferali's X-vehicles.

Put them on other maps for testing a stretch back · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13132 · along with this one with different monsters... but I restored classic Unreal1 monsters to this and figured I'd finally put it out.

My initial review of Ferali's vehicles · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/120044.html

Best way to map with these vehicles is to setup factories and assign tanks or jeeps to them, but keep in mind the factories (which look like wooden boxes) don't stipulate which side is the front.

This is yet another edit of the Garden of Death map · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/112419.html · which is HUGE and ideal for these kinds of vehicles. Also, as a plus, papercoffee hates walking long distances so this way he can drive instead.

I used most of the monsters from standard U1, in sequential order, and those familiar with my first edit of this map will be happy to know I removed THOSE bunnies.
Some vehicles have heavier than normal armor, so if you want to go the roadkill route instead of shooting, that can work.

Oh, I did leave 2 surprises in a side room where there's a lot of redeemers... but you may wanna avoid going in there. Because of the "surprises".

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.uax - /sounds
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!
.ini - oops...

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ejdwi037tb6inet/MH-Xvehicles-GardenOfDeath.zip

For those interested who want Ferali's complete release:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zsu9v8or9jonlnt/Ferali-Xvehicles.zip

Note: This map is intended for offline play, possibly LAN as well. Ferali was pretty sure they wouldn't work online.

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: CTF-UTDM-RexNoctis

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020, 10:41

This is from a map that was made by MetalFist · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3376
It was a first map for him and it's amazing, plus ginomorous. I've enjoyed playing the map over the years since he made it but fairly recently I got on him about improving the bot pathing. He gave it a go and told me there wasn't much more he could do with it... so I got his permission to work on it some and eventually got Nelsona to take a look at the pathing.

What we have here is a multi-level map, really only seems like 2 levels but there's some points in-between, with exceptionally styled teleports and beyond that the map is beautiful. Weapons are well balanced throughout, there's some nice jump-pads on either side of the middle area, and I can never get enough of this place.
Before Nelsona fixed the pathing, Titans stayed in the hall they start in and Warlords stuck to the main middle area. Both now wander a bit out of their areas, I was tempted to enlarge the Titans so they couldn't fit through the doorways but that caused other issues I figured weren't worth the bother. Overall, things balance out as well as they can.

I added a redeemer to each flag room, just behind the flag. While I put them in there to better combat the other team's Titan, given the size of the map I suppose that would work out well for SLV/RX players. The map certainly is large enough for that kinda action, although they'd need to make a REALLY sharp turn after they picked up the flag.

Removed the statues as they really didn't match the decor.
Snipers would love this map, although it's a little too big for them to be able to shoot all the way across (unless you've got some amazing sniper mutator) but as you can see from one base into another that presents some possibilities. Frankly, I carefully aim redeemers to shoot across when the other team has my flag. Provided it doesn't hit a Warlord or something along the way, that usually works out well... though it takes awhile to get over there.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr = /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sakw211sky5hchs/CTF-UTDM-RexNoctis.zip

Previous Next