This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[227h] Nali Chronicles coop playthrough

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

.:..:
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [227h] Nali Chronicles coop playthrough

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011, 19:05

For past few weeks I've been working on making Nali Chronicles online compatible, but now it's nearing its completion.
This one is ported for Unreal 227h (so sorry Unreal Tournament players...).

So upon next Friday the 14:th (10/14/2011) I will put it in my Unreal 1 server at around 6:30 PM (UTC+0 timezone, central Europe/British time), so feel free to join and play if you have spare time this weekend.

Until then you can help yourself with shorten your download times by linking Unreal 1 paths to UnrealTournament folders (aswell as download the UnrealTournament NaliChronicles version, as only NaliChronicles.u is modified).
You can link up the folders by editing Unreal.ini:
[Core.System]
...random stuff here...
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.unr
Paths=..\Maps\UPak\*.unr
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
Paths=..\Meshes\*.usm
Paths=D:\UnrealTournament\System\*.u
Paths=D:\UnrealTournament\Maps\*.unr
Paths=D:\UnrealTournament\Textures\*.utx
Paths=D:\UnrealTournament\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=D:\UnrealTournament\Music\*.umx

..just as suggestion, however your UT might not be in D:\ folder so you have to change it yourself.

P.S: I do take suggestions if thats not really a good time for most people.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [227h] Nali Chronicles coop playthrough

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011, 19:10

This is great :tup: :tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011, 23:37

Damnit. By Friday I'll be on a class trip to Sorrento, Italy, so I won't be able to attend. This sounds amazing, though!

I'll pin this so that it gets a little more attention.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011, 10:41

sana wrote:Damnit. By Friday I'll be on a class trip to Sorrento, Italy, so I won't be able to attend. This sounds amazing, though!

I'll pin this so that it gets a little more attention.

LOoooool maybe I'll actually see you in person.
Maybe.
ImageImage

User avatar Stakhanov

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011, 18:19

*unlurk*

I'm up for it ! Will serve as a replacement for sana , but Nali Chronicles is a personal favorite anyway.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011, 20:38

Can't say I ever pictured NC in Coop, but its interesting someone made this available.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011, 22:10

Can't say if there are enough people (and we're talking about Unreal 1!) actually interested with a NC Coop mode. The pack is still unbalanced for SP - it needs a total gameplay revamp.

Then, NC is mostly hit or miss; you generally get bored within minutes due to its super slow pace.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011, 22:52

Assuming no level design issues for it NC coop could work fine if levels and spells were preserved on death (as you would be even more crippled than most mods if those were lost on respawn) and leveling was modified in some way so everyone stayed relatively even and no-one got really far behind/ahead. I'm not sure I'll be able to try it though (also, how do the controls etc get set up in Unreal 227?)

Edit: The paths seem to have worked, but does downloading botpack mean I have the wrong version of 227? Guess I'll just download the newest 227 and see.

Edit2: Still wants Botpack, guess I won't be able to try it :( .
Formerly Mman

User avatar Stakhanov

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011, 04:11

While the port was mostly functional (only a few broken cutscenes and permanently cloaked players) Nali Chronicles was clearly not designed for coop , so the result was very curious. Respawning with no penalty made health potions mostly redundant , and the fairly slow pace of Nali Chronicles was accelerated to a frenzied steamroll - far bigger difference than in classic Unreal coop.
Unfortunately , most enemies stopped being challenging as soon as the Whirlwind spell was unlocked :p mostly being stuck in them unable to cause any real damage to mages not trapped in said whirlwinds (which happened rather often)
With destructive spells multiplied , the harshest bosses became trivial. I do not know if there is any room to balance Nali Chronicles for coop , though.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011, 02:06

Hmm, I played NC online coop using UT, some server from russia I think.

EDIT ADD

Yes its a server running now, the maps have been renamed, and redone a little, whole lotta enemies left out for some reason.He runs it with supershock only, and for UT,
Just ban everyone