A random sentence for a random mind.

[v2.8] [released] UT PS2 Characters

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [v1.2 released] UT PS2 Characters

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 04:18

It must be like the bug that makes the Atomic Cow look like the War Cow in team games.

Interesting tidbit: Damien is called Kane in several PS2 files, and in the .max scene where I got his model. That's why I used Kane for the texture names. :B
I also fixed a bug with one of the spikes on Damien's shoulder. It moved based on the location of his neck, instead of his shoulder.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 10:00

Yeah I saw the Kane name too on the files.

The name of Dominator's model? Anyway I think you should really add the Raw Steel and Necris skins for the normal PS2 Male models, as the PS2 version had them too (basically, they were available for players, and the bots used the unique ones). Also is the female Commando bugged in the PS2 game too?
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 17:50

In the 3DS Max files, Dominator was called SkaarjBoss. I'm not sure what his files are called in the actual game, though.

I'll add those other skins right away. I'm not sure if the female commandos were bugged or not, I didn't really pay attention. I did notice that there was a .max file that had a female commando model with the backpack. I don't know how I missed it before, but I'll probably include both models.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011, 13:49

Hold up, how are you managing to extract this stuff?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011, 19:18

The only thing I extracted was Damien's skin. I used 3D Ripper DX and ran the PS2 version on my PC with an emulator.
I got everything else from a zip file that was in an archive of Polycount.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 01:29

Damn, now I need to sign up there and ask them how they did it :lol:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 02:41

I'm pretty sure somebody that worked at Epic gave them the files. Some materials have "EpicLAN" in their paths, which makes me think that somebody who was working on the models saved them and sent them to Polycount.

It would be nice to know who submitted those files, though. I'd love to see if they have the Skaarj animations. It would save me the trouble of animating them myself. :wink:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011, 21:17

I installed Xbots a week ago and yeah everything works finely now.
The female soldier was already pretty deformed in the PS2 version too, so it's just the model itself really.

I'm wondering if now the Skaarj Hybrids/Dominator models will be skeletal-based or not. I'm pretty sure the Skaarj Hybrids had skeletal models in the PS2 version, Dominator looked like not (although he didn't have the UT Skaarj Hybrid dodge roll).
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 00:03

I'm glad it works!

The skaarj hybrids will use skeletal animations. I exported all of the PC skaarj hybrid's animations with UTPT. Now I import each frame individually into a 3DS Max scene that also has the PS2 skaarj hybrid. I rotate the PC model so it faces the same way as the PS2 model, and then I position the PS2 model so that it's in a similar pose to the PC mode. It's tedious, and the animations won't be spot on, but they will be similar to the animations of the PC model. I really need to find a tool that will let me mirror animations, because I would save a lot of time on the strafing/dodging animations.

Once I'm done with making all of the animations, I'm going to make a .psa file with ActorX, and then I'll rig Dominator so the animations will work for him.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 01:43

AlCapowned wrote:Once I'm done with making all of the animations, I'm going to make a .psa file with ActorX, and then I'll rig Dominator so the animations will work for him.

I was just thinking, perhaps you could do something similar to this with the ported UT2004 models once you are finished with this project? As far as I know, the models are already well designed by Black Cheetah. It's just the animations that are lacking. Perhaps if you applied the PS2 animations to them, they will work/look much better?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 03:08

I'll definitely give it a shot, at least. As long as the UT2004 models aren't too different from the PS2 models in terms of size, it should work.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 03:55

AlCapowned wrote:I'll definitely give it a shot, at least. As long as the UT2004 models aren't too different from the PS2 models in terms of size, it should work.

I'll definitely send you the version I have, because it is significantly different than the version on SkinCity. I modified them all to more closely match the official UT models in terms of size. Of course, there are all the enhancements I did to the skins, and many bug fixes.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 18:28

I don't think I'll have too many problems with most of the humans, but I can see the Gen Mo'Kai being tricky to convert. I'm not sure how they'll look with the skaarj hybrid's animations.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011, 14:29

AlCapowned, since you managed to grab the Damien skin from the PS2 disc, have you been able to check if there were other unique skins or if some are hilariously missing? I remember from a recent shot at BUF certain female commando with the "ISV-Kran" armor.

I just hope now that the Skaarj Hybrids/Dominator won't give you the same error that happened with the Rampage's model.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011, 01:15

3D Ripper can only extract things that the player is looking at, so I haven't found any hidden skins in the game. The ISV skin that you're talking about was in the zip file that had all of the 3DS Max scenes. There's also a skin for the male commando, but the numbers and letters on the chest armor are reversed. I thought both skins would be too small to fit with the models' UV maps, but I was wrong. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned them. I'll make sure to include them in the final version, but I'm not sure what I'll do about teamskins.

As for the Skaarj, I'm probably going to put them into UT soon, just so I can see if their models mess up. I don't want to finish their all of their animations and then see that their models don't work properly. There are 24 animations left, so it might take me a while.

Previous Next