UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Nali Weapons 3 - Preview 2 (includes Nuke)

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Nali Weapons 3 - Preview 2 (includes Nuke)

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011, 19:17

Thanks all :)

@Waffnuffly: Well, the bigger the better yes, but the maps do not need to be "huge". In UT maps like CTF-Face, CTF-Lavagiant, CTF-HallOfGiants and some others, it's perfectly playable (and given that Face is still one of the most popular ones, that's a point in my favor I think).

@sana: As for the usability, there's a certain gametype in UT that could use this (is actually a quite simple RTS with big maps), and there are some advantages in using this weapon: you can shoot the ion beam twice and you can fire it by not giving you away (you give your satellite away instead, and in case it gets taken down, you can launch another one), the disadvantage is that you cannot simply fire it and that's it, and it needs indeed maps with some space (although like I said to Waff, you don't need them "that big", and there's a ton of configurable factors in this weapon to better fit whatever gametype admins host it on).

As for english corrections, thanks, if you spot a mistake, please say so :)
I have the annoying habit of duplicating certain letters in english when the correct word just has one of them (also my grammar is not the most correct thing in the world either lol).
In the end I will recheck every text in my mod and see if the words/sentences are right or wrong.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 01:32

Yet another update...
The Ionizer charging and nuclear blast: it starts as a small purple beam, then it cracks the floor around, then the pieces start to levitate around the beam as it starts to leak energy (ion lightnings), then BOOM, an ion shockwave emerges and a small "plasma" ball stays there as a result of the ionization of the energetic center, while the cloud around keeps having some ion based lightnings due to static energy.

Also, I take this update to say that the 2 remaining weapons already have names:
- Melee: The Executioner
- Translocator: E.T.D. (Enhanced Translocation Device)
As for what exactly they do, I will say later in the next update. Thanks everyone who sent me ideas to help me figuring out new names.
They're also the 2 last weapons I have to do for the pack.

As for the "Builder" one, CANCELLED, for now.
It will be released later with a whole new gametype using the NW3 "technology"(aka visual and flexibility features), based on the already known and popular custom gametype Siege.

It will be pretty much my own Siege version but made from scratch (new buildings, different visuals, newbie friendly and with its own team balancer), but not far from the original thing (NOTE: the objective of this new Siege is not to replace any current one, but rather give a totally new experience but keeping the "magic" behind the current Siege. WildCard is currently developing a new version of Siege and that's the one that should replace any previous version instead, I don't want to step in anyone's toes with this one).
The Builder will also come with a lot more of possibilities that will make it usable in nearly every gametype for different purposes.
I will give more details about this later after the NW3 release and after another 1-2 months UT project I will have in hands.

So, as any other update, screenshots:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 05:31

Good fucking lord

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 08:02

Y'know, the more screenshots you post the more impatient I get.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 08:19

Shame not many actual maps are large enough to let someone view this marvellous spectacle in game without being obliterated. :o

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 09:07

So, we need to make some maps! Seeing all these things here makes me think this need a good map pack.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 12:21

Yeah, there's no way this is going to work well in the current selection of maps. Need to get some maps built for this awesomeness
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 18:56

USP multimap pack...? We can do it :D

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012, 23:26

Thanks all. :tup:

There are some maps (at least in UT) that can "handle" this weapon, like Facing Worlds, Hall of Giants, Lava Giant, Frigate (assault map), and a few others, but none of them are big enough to see the explosion from far like I did in the screenshots.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012, 07:36

Feralidragon wrote: but none of them are big enough to see the explosion from far like I did in the screenshots.

That is why we need some kind of warfare/domination/point-capture mode with maps huge enough to use and see these weapons in their full glory and pure awesomeness.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:36

Qtit wrote:
Feralidragon wrote: but none of them are big enough to see the explosion from far like I did in the screenshots.

That is why we need some kind of warfare/domination/point-capture mode with maps huge enough to use and see these weapons in their full glory and pure awesomeness.

Dots did port Onslaught to Unreal 1 with some maps too, maybe if someone asked him nicely, he'd make a version for UT too. (unless it already works in ut in which case, awesomesauce)

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 01:20

Gizzy wrote: he'd make a version for UT too. (unless it already works in ut in which case, awesomesauce)

Totally worth checking out.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 01:42

There was an onslaught for UT mod which was pretty shit iirc. That's not the one you're talking about is it?

tbh if there was onslaught in UT I wouldn't want it to have vehicles. Seriously, the only unreal game with fun+balanced vehicles was unreal2xmp. The vehicles were pretty much just another weapon, and balanced accordingly.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 02:39

Dots did not make the UT version. His is a rather faithful conversion, and the vehicles are kinda lame due to uscript limitations(the bots are hilarious), but they're optional really. As far as I know he only has Torlan ported

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 14:43

The one for UT was made by BlackCheetah, and it was pretty much the worst thing I ever saw in the whole universe (Unreal universe, our universe...). It was so poorly made and so buggy that I think I never hit the Shit+Del button combo so fast for that mod, it was really disgusting (vehicles turning sideways, spinning like crazy, camera laggy with lack of precision, maps done when he was drunk or something, poorly ported UT2k4 vehicles, pixelated skins, damn...).

As for Dots version idk (never checked it), if he used the same vehicles code he made available at oldunreal, he made a hell of a good job at them, but the problem of his vehicles aren't the UScript limitations at all.
Dots didn't consider the order of the spawns of the vehicle attachments, and this lead to some vehicles to have their attachments positions delayed/lagged if you achieved a certain speed (since they would be updates 1 tick later, he said back then it was a replication problem, but in fact it wasn't), also for terrain vehicles he used the BSP normals for the vehicle positioning on them, so you go to a slope and the vehicle suddenly rotates accordingly (which looked wrong), and had many other problems.

Don't take me wrong, Dots made a really good job on them nonetheless, but I think when he made those he was just thinking in making them minimally playable for everyone at online level and not actual vehicles (he didn't spend much time on them), otherwise he could have made much better vehicular code.

As proof: 2 years ago (more or less), I asked him the source code, and I started to fix those issues, adding tons of features and enhancing the physics in such a way they could be very close to actual vehicles. I paused the project (here: http://feralidragon.blogspot.com/2000/0 ... X_Vehicles) since I started with this weapon pack, but as it is now the vehicles have a reasonable physics.

But anyway, I think I am going to release these soon and remake the whole thing properly later with actual vehicle physics and online support, because UScript can do a lot more than you may think, if used correctly and if the right algorithms and data structures are made.

Previous Next