This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Was Zephon ever patched?

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Was Zephon ever patched?

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 08:29

I remember hearing about how awful the gameplay balance was in Project Zephon, including a lack of health in certain levels on harder skills. Was a newer version ever released to remedy this? I remember the team saying they would fix up the balance issues mention in the UnrealSP review, but I haven't heard any news since... It would be sad if a pack with such great visuals was never given just a few moments of attention to fix the balance problems. I hope they still plan to release a new version.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 09:38

I completely agree. I am wanting to play this pack offline for the second time (i had to cheat through parts of the end in the first playthough). I'd rather play it with better scripted scenes and better gameplay balance. If Zephon is still being supported.. thats great! If not, I'll just play it again probably on easy difficulty :/

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 11:09

I'm part of the team and I can say the team is practically... nonexistent. Especially with the Derdak2rot now busier with other commitments. :) These issues will probably not be addressed immediately due to the fact that I haven't even gone in contact with anyone from the group and that some of our contributors have practically disappeared overtime.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 15:00

Yes, wasn't W3 the one that had to fix a few things...? Or at least another team member than Derdak... they had to wait for W3 I thought... (could be wrong tho.. it's been a while.. unfortunately :/ )
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 15:27

I was also in charge of finding the stuff that needed fixing. Didn't hear W3 and Derdak anymore about the patch.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 15:42

If you guys noticed the fact that W3 hasn't updated his project, The Living Sacrifice, it's even more doubtful he'd be back anytime to fix ZP. :P

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 01:58

so whats stopping me from making my own "Zephon" version with better scripted sequences and gameplay?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:06

jackrabbit wrote:so whats stopping me from making my own "Zephon" version with better scripted sequences and gameplay?

a copyright issue maybe? Get permission from the guy who created it, and then...well....yeah :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:25

Shivaxi wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:so whats stopping me from making my own "Zephon" version with better scripted sequences and gameplay?

a copyright issue maybe? Get permission from the guy who created it, and then...well....yeah :P

people shouldn't be able to copyright bad gameplay balance :P but yeah..

I'll see what I can do about contacting them when I have some free time for that.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:34

No one is stopping you at all. The only stopping that happens is after you actually do it and if someone is there to apprehend you. Zephon is owned by Team Zephon as Xidia is owned by Team Phalanx. No one edits ZP but Team ZP, and no one edits Xidia but Team Phalanx.

And instead of doing that, how about you put your better scripted sequences and gameplay into your own project because we need more maps to play? :P

Shivaxi wrote:a copyright issue maybe? Get permission from the guy who created it, and then...well....yeah :P

ZP wasn't created by one guy - it was created between Derdak2rot and Mgo years ago, the latter no longer interested in Unreal. D2K became the project leader as well as ZP's chief authority and as of this moment, any edits to the ZP maps are reserved to the members of Zephon and to their respective maps and responsibilities only.

---

And getting permission to edit any ZP content requires the agreement of the entire team or members still active. Unless D2K agrees himself, I will say a flatout no.

Reusing contents of ZP however falls into the decision of the respective authors.
Last edited by GTD-Carthage on 31 Mar 2009, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:36

GTD-Carthage wrote:

No one is stopping you at all. The only stopping that happens is after you actually do it and if someone is there to apprehend you. Zephon is owned by Team Zephon as Xidia is owned by Team Phalanx. No one edits ZP but Team ZP, and no one edits Xidia but Team Phalanx.

And instead of doing that, how about you put your better scripted sequences and gameplay into your own project because we need more maps to play? :P

see now.. I totally disagree with your "ideals" here. This is the type of additute that I think is complete bullshit. Where the hell was your so called "team" after the initial release of the pack. From what you said, they are non-existant.. no support.. nothing. Hell, Epic Megagames gives more support to their failures than the community they created? wow .. this is a real shocker. What I would do to Zephon would benefit not only the pack itself .. but also the community that runs behind it. Did you ever stop and think how much more well recieved the pack would become if it didn't lack in certain areas? The reason I don't go wanting to edit Team Phalanx work is because there is no need too.
Last edited by jackrabbit on 31 Mar 2009, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:42

Hmmm, what's this all of a sudden?

Exactly why are you so hot in the heels in editing Zephon? ZP is our creation downright. Why don't you build your own successor to Zephon if you want? Just don't name it "Zephon" and it's damned fine. You can have huge ice planets with better maps than Zephon and we wouldn't mind at all.

I think your attitude of forcing your own ideals on our team is equal bullshit, jackrabbit. You rereleasing Zephon withour OUR collective permission is the same as what happened in Project Xenome - in fact even worse.

[Edit]
We keep a neutrality policy - if you don't like Zephon, then don't play it. Remove it from your hard drives if you will.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 04:47

okay.. sorry if I got off on the wrong foot here. I do understand that some of you guys might think the gameplay is well balanced and doesn't need editing. That I can understand.

Okay then, without explicit permission Zephon sits forever unpatched. I don't do dirty work.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 05:01

We're not thinking that our pack's gameplay is balanced (for SP as it was a down-to-the-bones coop pack). I personally wouldn't even defend that. We know that and we would have done something about it but the problem is just that "we" is just a "me" alone now because we're all busy with our own contributions including myself.

If D2K and at least some of the still active members agree to this, I'd give a yes as well then I'd even release the brushed version of my map there so you could edit it all you want along with the rest of our content. If D2K made a call to arms for what could be Zephon V130, then I'd go help playtesting and editing my ass off in the maps until the monster/intenvtory distribution is fine. We just don't have time for Zephon anymore.

But go ahead and try contacting at least either D2K or Cardiologist. I comply with whatever they say and they can completely override my own statements.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 06:37

GTD-Carthage wrote:But go ahead and try contacting at least either D2K or Cardiologist. I comply with whatever they say and they can completely override my own statements.

That's fair. :tup:

I agree with most of what you said Carthage, but I also feel there are certain situations in which not ALL team members have to be contacted. contacting the team leader and perhaps the most active members is certainly a must, but there are always Team Members who become impossible to contact. Take Deja Vu 2.0 for example... There were 10+ mappers who worked on version 1.0, and some of them could not be reached for the making of version 2.0. That certainly didn't stop us from enhancing their maps in their absence! Deja Vu 2.0 would not have been released if it were not for this decision. Sometimes you just can't let a few team members bring down an entire release, just because they aren't around.

That being said, It's obvious that someone has to be contacted from the team that had quite a bit of responsibility, like the team leader. If someone wanted to enhance my map among others in Deja Vu and obtained Hellscrag's permission, I would not mind at all.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Next