UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[ut] Project Xenome

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 18:08

Tal Rasha wrote:i couldt get it to show up in the game, like operation na pali
i tried placing the files from the project xenome folder into the games folders but didnt work either :(

Lightning Hunter posted a link earlier that includes the PrXenome.u and PrXenome.int files in a seperate package. Put this into your UT system folder and you should now have a seperate Xenome boot screen. (It worked for me like a charm btw)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 19:15

I've played several maps in so far, and at this point the Half-Life influence is obvious. I recognized whole sequences and gameplay trials immediately. But everything is really done well so far. The design is very modest and well executed. And if you're going to be influenced by a shooter in terms of level layouts then there are few choices as good as Half-Life in that regard.

I did notice a direct scene lift from Spatial Fear (the part with the monster outside the window). And you really did borrow a lot of meshes from Spatial Fear as well. With this much content ported over I sincerely hope credit was requested. If I have a criticism this far into it it would be that, layouts not withstanding, much of Xenome's best ideas are borrowed. But then again I've got thirty maps left so I'll keep at it. I am enjoying myself for the most part, and it's clear you made everything from scratch despite direct influences.

:tup: :tup: :tup:
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 28 Mar 2009, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 19:57

Unfortunately my copy of ONP is corrupt (it wont let me extract.. says my disc is full, altho I have 3gb left...)... so I can't do anything now, right? :tdown: :shake:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 21:30

Playing it and going through the map where you have your first (almost useless and stupid, unfortunately) ally.
I fell in love with the beginning, when Vortex2.umx plays. It gave me that awesome oldschool feeling that I had in the original Unreal. I was like thinking that I was playing a great retail game from many years ago. You got me there, unique oldschool atmosphere.
Then I get to the next few maps, where everything seems to be very predictable. Basically, I had in front of me a younger brother of Half-Life and an elder sister of Spatial Fear.

Yeah, too much inspiration and borrowed contents, giving me the whole idea of "I have already played this", and I don't feel anymore the creepy atmosphere. Visuals, while repetitive (at least for now), are detailed enough for the place. Some of the new music sounds nice.

Gameplay-wise is so-so. Playing it on Unreal difficulty, and I quickly realize that I was playing under the ONP gametype - this means that I have an infinite Dispersion Pistol and Krall are dead from the start. And honestly, the Krall don't really fit in the first few maps at all. Pupae get their nice role on the other hand, and the Skaarj, well... the high amount of Shock Cores throughout the levels keep too much care of them.

Just hoping there's some serious action or scripted sequences to motivate me playing this mappack. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying it more than Spatial Fear and ONP.

EDIT: Missing files on FileBeam, for a good alternative to FilePlanet.
ImageImage

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 22:44

Last edited by jazz on 29 Mar 2009, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 22:50

We can all understand that, Jazz. :)

When you create a Readme file, just simply add a short credits section where you thank the Spatial Fear team for the few textures and such that you did use, and all will be well. 8)

We all know you didn't rip everything straight from other mods. It's obvious you did a lot of work on this. All creators get ideas and perhaps use content from other mods/authors, it's just all a matter of crediting them in the end.
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 28 Mar 2009, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009, 23:11

Yeah nobody is accusing you of ripping. You did a great deal of work here and you should feel really proud of what you've accomplished! Forty maps!? That's nothing to sneer at.

I'm sorry if my comment about SF meshes was inaccurate, but I recognized some of them and perhaps the presence of some SF textures skewed my perception. But they seemed familiar. I do think that much of your effort into adding signs and posters was really cool and it adds a lot of immersion to your levels. And the Half-Life inspirations are nothing to feel bad about. I did say that you replicated the feel of those scenes really well...probably better than I've seen anyone do so. Everyone draws inspiration from good games. A lot of Xidia's inspiration came from Half-Life, Red Faction, and AVP2.

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 00:11

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 00:16

Yes. Liquid Element was the team behind Spatial Fear.
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 00:36

jazz wrote:Thx guys . Just took a look at SF and your right about some of the meshes looking similar .
I am at this moment downloading my uploaded zip of the entire game which includes all missing files in a umod from fileplanet , I'll take better care next time . I know some people dont like the site but its free for the size 192mb or thereabouts.

As for the readme i do mention 'Liquid Element' . I dont know if that is the team that made SF . If not i'll post extra credits on the original post if need be ,especially for the textures .

Cool, looking forward to a proper release. :)

Did you include the Oldskool map entry with screenshot that Raven and I created for ya?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 00:57

Some maps should be a little bit longer, like eg. Watersport - very cool map. Anyway I have 21 more maps to play, but even now I can tell ya - damn good job :tup:.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 00:57

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 01:06

I imagine Fileplanet has some kind of syncing service that distributes the file across all their mirrors which will take some time to perform before the file is actually available for download. I could be wrong but this is the best technical excuse I can think of; it's similar to how BU mirrors files at least.
I could also be wrong about files taking a long time to become available since I haven't actually used the service to upload anything in maybe 6 years.

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 01:22

Last edited by jazz on 29 Mar 2009, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 01:42

Download is working right now for me :tup:

I downloaded this earlier, but am redownloading since now this one should have all the stuff I need.

Previous Next