This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[ut] Project Xenome

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 16:47

Releasing of such huge pack is not only 'finishing maps and uploading' there's always many things to fix and improve. My advice to you is to treat it as public beta tests and simply fix all of this. There's whole lot of experienced mappers here so all it takes to have some tips about mapping is just asking :). If you want to make caves/outdoors there's easy way and hard way. In hard way just do vertex editing on tessellated cubes in easy way just run 3D max and make cave. Here's 'how to' when it comes to conversion 3dmax to UED: http://hellscrag.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3176 and here's tutorial how to make cave: http://hourences.com/book/tutorialssae2.htm.

It's your choice what you'll gonna do, but shift+del and taking leave is not the best way. Stay and improve instead.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 18:00

ERM ... i dont have 3Dmax but i will try to make something with tesselated cubes .

Can i suggest to everyone that has downloaded this pack to please delete it until i sort out this self imposed mess and could the main dudes post something on the main page to that effect .

'Mister prophet' is right - dont play any more .
It may take me a while to go through each map to correct everything but i promiss to make it all my own work and also correct ammo and difficulty issues earlier on (apart from the mosters and xans and other things as they are obviously part of the whole story ( credits will be properly given ))

I will take this as a sign of my own stupid naivity in thinking that it will be ok , that people really wont mind that much ... Wow, how wrong was i and rightly so !

Iv'e enjoyed this whole experience both good and bad as it has taught me a very important lesson ... You get more praise with your own very bad work than with someone else's exellent work ( notably Hourences ) no matter how little or much i tarted it up.

So on a final note .. My sincere apologies to all those who took out time to play this thing
A special apology goes out to 'Hourences' and the other authors whose work i used without proper permission ( names escape me now as i deleted xidia and ONP to check my files ). I will concentrate on making fresh the first few levels from scratch as they are lets face it fairly naff compared to later on .

See you all in around a few months time .

edit : Sorry hourences.
Last edited by jazz on 29 Mar 2009, 18:11, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 18:05

You picked the right pill. :)

And on a sidenote, you should call Hourences as Hourences, not as Big H.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 18:08

Dunno how will it affect story, but you can release pack in episodes - may be better to track bugs.

You can try to use Blender, export whole thing to ASE and then convert ASE to T3D. Anyway feel free to post sshots of progress you make. Tools listed here as well as dot's particle emitter might be cool addition. Anyway good luck with fixing the project.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 18:22

Good show :tup:

jazz wrote:ERM ... i dont have 3Dmax but i will try to make something with tesselated cubes .

If you need help, I can try to dig up some old terrain tutorial I made. Once you get the hang of them, they really aren't hard to use -- just very time-consuming and tedious, as you have to (for the most part) edit every vertex individually. But you can do it in the 3D viewport and it's not as bad.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 18:45

Cheers waffnuffly that would be a great help.
Thx Raven

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 19:28

I have pulled this from the Upcoming Maps page as you have deleted your original post which used the template.

Might I suggest that you reinstate the original first post or something like it, but change the status from "Released" to "Developing"?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 20:09

Guess I'll wait until it's redone. At least you're doing the cool thing and sorting it out.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 20:34

The stuff you did was good enough to stand on its own two legs. You should let your work speak for itself without training wheels. I'm glad to see how you responded to this. It shows good character :tup:

You can use all the meshes from Xidia (pupae eggs ect) but just not the maps. I would ask Zephon members about use of their security bot, and try to get a message out to the SF team about their meshes....just because those things are a little more advanced than the usual piece of Unreal artistry.

The code between mappers over the years has been widely bendable. Most mappers don't mind others using things like meshes and prefabs (assuming we're talking about Unreal and UT1 only, and the use isn't extensive) as long as a readme credit is concerned. But no amount of readme credit makes up for map porting.

I think we can all agree that you have something going on in this pack that deserves to be put out there. But it should be your own. Because those were the parts of it we liked.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 30 Mar 2009, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 21:51

Wow, a lot happened while I was away!

Jazz, I'm happy you have decided to redo the copied parts. This will only make the release much more powerful and tested in the end. Keep a project thread here running, and post Screenshots from time to time as well as anything you are stuck on! When I was creating my SP map for Deja Vu, I must have made 10 threads in the "content creation" section for help, and that was for just one map!

I'm also happy you are going to fix the balance issues with ammo. That would have driven me nuts, because I always have way too much ammo in SP maps (hence the reason I created the Limbo difficulty Mutator). I have not played your pack yet, because I always like to see what other people say first. I'm patient, and always know that updates and/or patches come out before a project is truly ready. Next time your project is released, I will be even more excited. :tup:
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 22:03

If you go back and redo inventory placement, you may want to keep difficulty filtering in mind too if you haven't yet:

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopi ... 2338#12338

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 22:06

Really glad you made this decision! We'll be here if you need help :o

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 15:28

Wow.. I guess I've missed a lot this weekend.... bad news and then good news. Glad you're staying and wanting to fix the issues in your pack! :D :tup: :tup: :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 16:48

That's about the same problem as with that Stargate unreal mappack (by sm1key etc) which used uncredited content from LionLS (brushes and meshes converted to brushes etc), plus most of his maps in the "beta" version, which as they said was released by mistake. Well I could see even other few brushes from other authors there too.

Besides if you wanna larger pack than ONP and done mainly by one person, you might check redeem your space, only that the translation thought int files was put on hold because I cannot access my files as my computer is broken. So you might not grasp the story..

And yes I am leo here, just took the opportunity on commenting this. But for some reason if I find some ripped stuff somewhere etc, compared to Mr.Prophet, I am usually being flamed, even in the end they even said they ripped it. But the proof screenshots etc I was mostly sending through emails or private messages, not posting it openly, which was perhaps a mistake.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 18:19

Cry some more....
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next