A random sentence for a random mind.

READ: "Upcoming Maps Page" rules

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 20:07

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:The Upcoming Maps page is a mess. See for yourself (click). Perhaps the project leaders could be urged to clean up their first posts?

I tried reducing the controls on what people could put because I thought I was being unduly restrictive; but I agree that certain posts are untidy and overly dominant. There's probably a balance to be struck somewhere (or maybe Waff's approach is the most appropriate). Suggestions are welcome, but it's probably a matter best decided by whoever's going to take over the running of the site when I leave.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 22:17

Eh, I'm not too sure about how this would be implemented if it was, but couldn't they all be set up like the custom map review page, with preview images, a small description, and a link to the post (set up to appear as one page, where all of the other posts are not shown)? I have to question some of that myself, but maybe playing around with that idea could produce a fairly convenient method for which people could skim through, and, if interested, view that pack by clicking on the title of a given project to see it's extended description. Some of the things I can't really speculate further with right now is, what would the point of that be for having two posts, one in projects in production and one in upcoming maps, but of course, you could always keep the descriptions of the mod's premise in the upcoming post and everything else would be in the projects post (No download links or army of pictures, just some headline WIP pics and a description not unlike Waff and Prophet's UM entrys). This would be very similar to USP sort of hosting single pages that act specifically as a sort of mini-website hub system for the single player packs made specifically for communities like this one. Dunno. Couldn't hurt, but there's always the problem with integrating it and also how far it will go before being a bothersome inconvenience, but if it sounds good to other people, and if any problems with the idea can be addressed, I could see that particular method coming into play here since it's not too crazy, and as for editing, it could still be edited on the forum.

LOL: (T'would be funny to see the custom map review page set up how the upcoming page is set up now. :o )
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 22:26

It would be much easier to have project leaders comply with the site rules and common sense. There's a Projects in Production section to stuff all the detailed descriptions into, so Upcoming Maps entries should be kept short, clean and tasteful for the main page. :)

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 04:37

I say that Waff has the best idea. Move all of the Upcoming Maps threads into the Projects in Production forum, and have the authors create new "release/official news" threads.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 05:11

Hellscrag wrote:I tried reducing the controls on what people could put because I thought I was being unduly restrictive; but I agree that certain posts are untidy and overly dominant.

It was worth a shot for the sake of testing, but I think it's pretty clear now we need a "use-this-or-else" template for everyone to be on the same page. After all, consistency makes it look more like a part of the site, too.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 08:21

I was under the impression the Upcoming Maps Beta was simply a way to take stress off Hellscrag in setting up the project tier on the Mainpage, and not to actually promote forum followings for projects. Basically, I thought it was just something for project leaders to use originally. The only reason I use the Dead Cell thread for this purpose is because it is the only active thread about the project, whereas the Upcoming Maps thread for Residual Decay is pretty devoid of content (we have the RN Public forum for that). Come to think of it, I've been meaning to open a regular DC following thread on the RN public forum anyway.

Typically though, the Projects forum is and always has been the general way for people to promote discussion about their projects on this site. I think the inclusion of the Upcoming Maps Beta forum either confuses people and gives mappers the idea that they either have to juggle two simultaneous threads or stick to one. I can see just by browsing that project leaders have been, as of late, simply using the Upcoming Maps Beta threads for this purpose, myself included.

I think the real problem, if there is one, is that we're generally an informal bunch here at USP, so we've all been kinda "Meh" about multiple project threads over the years.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 08:47

There's nothing wrong in discussion in those threads but EVERYONE should apply to one template of the first post. My proposition is:

Code: Select all

[b]Developer:[/b]
[b]Status:[/b]
[SCREENSHOTS]
[b]Synopsis:[/b]
[b]Features:[/b]
[b]Links:[/b]

Screenshots 400 x 300. Max 500 characters for Synopsis and Features.

EDIT:

OK forgot there already is a template in first post. I vote that mod leaders should have time (eg. 2 weeks) after which some moderator will edit their posts to match the template. I can do it - it's not much work anyway :).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Please help me beta test new Upcoming Maps page

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 13:38

Please someone stick it and change it's name to 'Rules' or something more appropriate. For some odd reason I can't change whenever it's sticked or not. Also it'd be cool to ask everyone to fix threads to one template.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar ividyon

Subject: Re: READ: Upcoming Maps guidelines

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 13:52

Project leads are once again asked to adjust their Upcoming Maps entries to fit Hellscrag's provided template:

[b]Developer:[/b] (Your name or your team's name)
[b]Status:[/b] (Just Announced / Developing / Beta Testing / Released / On Hold / Cancelled)
[img][/img] [img][/img]
[img][/img] [img][/img]
[b]Synopsis:[/b] (A brief description of the story)
[b]Features:[/b] (A brief summary of the key features, e.g. map count, new weapons etc.)
[b]Latest News:[/b] (The most recent updates on development - keep it to one brief paragraph.)
[b]Links:[/b] (Relevant links to project web site or hosted forum)

Many threads contain over 4 images and a cartload of additional information that can easily be relayed in separate posts without messing up the Upcoming Maps page.
In case a post remains extremely bloated, I may have to move it back into the Projects in Production section until it complies with the guidelines.

ShamuQuest and Dead Cell are among the entries that need re-working the most. Huge entries make Pupae weep! Please think of the Pupae.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 15:52

Is my entry enough like the guideline? Only 4 pics and not much text, although I have streched the guidelines a little...

+ No one cares about Pupae :P

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 16:49

EDIT: Nevermind, it's fine! It would be nice if you put the images in a 2x2 grid, but otherwise it's totally okay.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 17:41

Dead Cell just has a lot of pictures. As for Shamu, there's too much explanation on the history of the mod. It just needs to briefly explain what the mod is about and stuff and all of the other stuff needs to be kept in the Projects thread.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 20:18

I've made adjustments to the page. Good now?

User avatar Terraniux
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011, 12:16

I posted my CrystalMine3 project before reading these guidelines.
Is it necessary to edit my topic, or can I leave it this way?

Terra`

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011, 13:44

If you want your project featured on the main site's Upcoming Maps page, then you have to dramatically shorten it and make it fit with the guidelines.

Use the [sshot] tag for screenshots to make formatting them easier.

It should look like this:

[b]Developer:[/b] (Your name or your team's name)
[b]Status:[/b] (Just Announced / Developing / Beta Testing / Released / On Hold / Cancelled)
[img][/img] [img][/img]
[img][/img] [img][/img]
[b]Synopsis:[/b] (A brief description of the story)
[b]Features:[/b] (A brief summary of the key features, e.g. map count, new weapons etc.)
[b]Latest News:[/b] (The most recent updates on development - keep it to one brief paragraph.)
[b]Links:[/b] (Relevant links to project web site or hosted forum)

Previous Next