UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3 - Discordulator: off [6-27

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010, 19:35

Do you want me to just tell you exactly what the final map will be like? :P

(I'm not going to >:E )

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010, 20:02

Well, I meant more for the changes in the first few maps that use older pawns more rather than the later maps. I'm just curious what will be done with older maps in consideration concerning how you're changing things and how you're leaving them the same. Like how hellified the Vortex Rikers looks now compared to the Demo3 one looks and how the gameplay and pawns used is being changed to accommodate the theme.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010, 22:10

I'm not gonna give many details about later maps, especially not when directly asked about them :p

MUST KEEP SOME SURPRISES INTACT

Subject: Re: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 will release on Wednesday!

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 05:00

DEMO 4 RELEASE IMMINENT

UA and I are working on kicking out some final bugs before Demo 4's release, and I need to re-playtest the whole thing (yes, again). But we should be done with all this by Wednesday, so we're setting the date!

Prepare yourselves.

Code: Select all

[7-14-2010]: v4.00 - EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 AWW YEEEEEUH. LLLLLLLLLLLOTS of code optimizations, I mean -L-O-T-S-. There's also been a number of MAJOR ***MAJOR*** bug fixes, including weapon freezes when you ran out of ammo, a fucking-god-damned-bajillion netcode tweaks and performance improvements, graphical updates, new home-made ghettotastic sounds, ***BRAND NEW FEATURES***, ALL SORTS OF SHIT. Lots more SP campaign improvements. There are 33 new creatures, too, and some REALLY awesome creature AI improvements for lots of maps. I also finally got around to making the 400th Pawn! We're well past 400 pawns by now but I have since learned how to code it myself and I remembered the idea, so now it's done! It is HILARIOUS. I will not be responsible for any crashes resulting from its usage.

*** New content: (As always, "summon EXU.<ClassName>" or place EXU.<ClassName> into your MonsterSpawn.ini.)

AdvancedDemonKrall      - Fires a shotgun blast of mini demon balls.
AdvancedTurboSkaarj      - Shoots a burst of 3 projectiles.
AdvancedSkaarjAssassin      - Shoots Descent-style plasma balls.
BeamBag            - Beamy.
BeamSkyTentacle         - Shoots a nasty blue beam.
BeamTentacle         - Shoots a nasty green beam.
Bouncer            - Skaarj that lobs bouncy things.
CycloneMercenary      - Spammy mercenary.
DoomPolice         - Flying, tougher Doom Trooper.
DoomSquid         - Extremely dangerous!
DoomTrooper         - Has a powerful Hammerburst knock-off from Gears of War.
EliteSkaarjAssassin      - Very sneaky, very nasty. Kinda.
EXUSK6Behemoth         - The wonderful SK-6 Brute from The Last Fortress.
FireBursterBrute      - Burster Brute but with fireballs.
FireDropper         - Flying Skaarj that throws napalm.
FireFiend         - Fiery.
FourHundredthPawn      - Holy shit.
HandCannonKrall         - Shoots with a 15th-century hand cannon.
Hellfighter         - A demonic military aircraft. EXTREME DANGER.
Hellsphere         - Demonic version of the Laser Sphere.
MajorCycloneBag         - VERY spammy gasbag.
MegaDemonKrall         - Fires a Hellbeam. Nasty.
MinorCycloneBag         - Spammy gasbag.
PolarisFighter         - Like the Hellfighter, but friendly in SP.
PlasmaPolice         - Sprays Descent-style plasma balls.
RockMonster         - A flying sentient boulder miniboss thing.
StupidBursterBag      - Very stupid, very bursty.
SuperHellsphere         - Hellsphere that uses Hellblasts. DANGEROUS!
TurboDemonBrute         - Big dude that ain't happy.
UltimateCycloneBag      - EXTREMELY SPAMMY gasbag.
Ultrabag         - Boss bag. Campaign spoilers abound.
UltraEnergyBag         - Charges up a huge-ass energy bolt.
UltrasprayBrute         - Base class for a variety of turrets.

*** The biggest "Other changes" list yet:

- The Contact Beam is now completely fixed! No more visual buggeration and/or fuckery. It also has all new sounds!
- Flare Crates for coop are now in! In coop, when you die, if you were carrying any flares, you will leave behind
  a FLARE CRATE containing all of your flares! Aren't I nice? Oh, but there's a catch: you have to destroy the crate
  to get the flares out. No biggie, right? Well, when you destroy the crate, it randomly chooses one of the flares
  and detonates it. That's right. RANDOM FLARE EXPLOSION FOR EACH CRATE! And on top of that, the explosion will
  scatter all the flares within in all directions! Have fun hunting those things down!
  And, if you wish, you can summon these offline. If you summon a flare crate, its contents will be randomized,
  including amount, so you'll get randomly-sized crates. You'll never know what to expect! WARNING: DESTROYING
  TOO MANY OF THESE AT ONCE *WILL* OBLITERATE UT WITH AN ENORMOUS CRASH. Be careful!
- Built in an anti-telefrag system for EXUScriptedPawns. Positive block magnitude repels the disc, 0 does nothing
  (and the pawn remains telefraggable), and a negative number repels the disc AND destroys it. Also supports
  effect spawning at the impact site of the translocator disc. A number of pawns are now un-telefraggable, some of
  which destroy the disc, so be careful what you try to kill the easy way!
- Applied sound to tons of pawns that didn't have shoot sounds before. This makes some enemies more detectable
  in combat, but is mostly a cosmetic change.
- Added ambient sounds to a lot of projectiles so you can hear them whizzing past you.
- Removed self-damage from Piddledoper splash damage on Easy and Medium. Decreased recharge rate slightly.
- Boosted the select rate for all weapons (except LRPC) by 15% to make them cycle quicker in combat.
- Added EXUFullAmmo powerup which maxes out your ammo for all guns except the Piddledoper, LRPC, and Screamer.
- Added LaserEnergizerUpgrade for the EnergyAR. It boosts its ROF by 25% every time you get one (up to 200% of the
  original firing speed).
- Fixed a SHIT TON OF TEXTURES that had not-quite-black edges. This means that a whole bunch of old explosion
  effects from Unreal 1 and a number from EXU have been corrected so that the ugly yellow/green/whatever borders
  are no longer visible! Yay!
- Remade from scratch all of the Doom 3 textures that were in use. The big pentagrams, the little hellglyphs, etc.
- You now take 25% less damage on Easy instead of 20% less. Projectile speed remains unchanged at 25% less than
  Hard and Unreal (Medium still has 10% damage / 10% speed reduction).
- Fixed EXU2Coop so that the basemutator and HUD are properly applied. This means global difficulty nerfs for Easy
  and Medium now apply to coop as well as SP games.
- Recoded Pentapower. The HUD display is now correct, the visual effects have been improved (weapon overlays instead
  of changing the gun's skin), and the fire sounds now work with all EXU weapons. Woop!
- Boosted Flakball Flares so that they use wide-area flak (higher max blast radius) and bumped damage up for those
  projectiles (95 to 300). Flakball Flares should now be a lot better at killing things because they pretty much
  sucked before.
- Increased damage and splash radius of Flak Flare flak shells (90 damage to 150, 150 radius to 175).
- Gasbags now will strafe really fast and more often than before. I'm honestly not sure why they do this, but I
  kinda like it! I actually think it has to do with me adding MakeNoise() calls all over EXU's weapons, which alerts
  pawns that you are about to do something (i.e. shoot them in the face).
- FS2 Flak (i.e. Clusterfucker primary shots) now have a smart detonation system. In addition to the dynamic blast
  radius, the projectile will ALSO detonate if any pawn is detected within the blast radius, even if the projectile
  did not directly hit the pawn. This means that shots which otherwise would have missed their target will now
  explode as long as their splash damage is big enough to hit the nearby target. This means the primary shots will be
  MUCH better at saturating an area and far less wasteful if your aim isn't perfect. It IS called the Clusterfucker,
  after all; you aren't supposed to be careful with it!
- The EXU Shotty's spread was updated (made better), so I created an EXUShottyMP gun that has less damage to
  compensate (also because the EXUShotty's damage was half its intended amount all along, so the gun would have been
  extremely overpowered in MP if I gave it double damage).
- Rewrote the Shitgun's projectile code to improve effects, performance, etc. They have the same gameplay stats so
  you probably won't even notice a difference. Well, except for one thing: THE SHITGUN CANISTERS NOW WORK PROPERLY
  IN WATERZONES! HOORAY! It's only been like FOUR FUCKING YEARS since they last behaved correctly, but now they do!
  You can also shoot the canisters individually to detonate them manually, and you can lay traps by placing several
  canisters in one area and then detonating them all at once (they chain-react quite nicely).
- Improved Pupae lunging behavior (most noticeable for really big ones). They are much more dangerous now if they get
  a chance to lunge after you.
- Increased Archdemon dodge speed, making it better able to strafe out of the way of LRPC balls and the like.
- Heavy Shield belts, as well as the new Heavy Bapes and Heavy Helm items, will set your mass really high while
  equipped. This prevents enemies from blasting you all over the place. Especially helpful on dangerous ledges where
  you could easily fall off if an enemy shot you the wrong way.
- Added Biohazard Flare. This spawns shit AND biogel all over the place - LOTS of it.
- Improved Bio Flare and Slime Rockets. EXU's Biogel no longer explodes on contact with projectiles, making it much
  more capable of saturating areas.
- The Extractor also now has a gore burst mode. When it sucks up enough damage, it empties its tanks - violently -
  spraying compressed gibs all over the place. For free! It does tons of damage, but don't rely on it. It's more of a
  fun gimmick than anything, but hey, it could save your ass in some cases.
- Upped Extractor damage-per-second from 1200 to 1900. Lots of Extractor love this patch! BECAUSE THE EXTRACTOR OWNS
- BY POPULAR DEMAND: Gave the Extractor alt fire a sniper-like zoom function. This is, of course, completely ridiculous
  since the Extractor is a point-blank weapon, but now it can be used like binoculars to scope out targets at range!
- Fixed Extractor primary causing self-damage when fired against a mover.
- Fixed LaserSpheres so they always detonate instantly upon death instead of after a short delay.
- Added level.bDropDetail support to various effects. If the gamespeed goes below your MinDesiredFramerate, then
  extraneous effects will not be spawned, improving performance. Keep in mind, though, that if your MinDesiredFramerate
  is too high, a lot of effects will never spawn; if it's too low, they always will, but you won't enjoy performance
  benefits if your game gets slow. If I were you, I'd set the min desired to whatever you consider to be just above the
  slowest acceptable gamespeed. This should help prevent things from getting too laggy in really intense firefights.
- Housekeeping work and strengthening of the campaign story.
- Changed the Clusterfucker's ammo icon so it doesn't look nearly identical to the RFPC's ammo. I know, they both
  still use the UT Eightball mesh and one of them really needs a visual makeover. If there's time, it'll happen.
- Added new Battle Flares(TM): Megablast Flare, Napalm Flare, Clustershock Flare, Demonblast Flare, Plasma Tornado
  Flare, and the Gas-Killer Flare. The first generates a huge fuckoff explosion, the second burns things, the third
  is like 10 Shock Flares in one, the fourth is a fucking insanely powerful blast of Hellish energy, the fifth creates
  a spiral of plasma, and the last one will utterly devastate all Gasbags in a massive area--but ONLY Gasbags!
- MASSIVE improvement to Clusterfucker alt fire. Rocket seeking ability has been fixed up so that rockets can acquire
  targets better, especially at long range, and there is also a nice locking functionality. If you focus your reticle
  on one target for more than a second, you'll lock onto it instead of whatever is closest to you. Of course, simply
  spamming rockets will make them go after whatever needs to die, but this lock ability gives you a little more control
  when you have a second or two to spare.
- Finally added a visual effect and audio cue for when Battle Fruits / Combat Fruits spawn from their respective seeds.
- Fixed all guns that use more than 1 ammo per shot which froze when you fired a more-than-one-ammouse shot when you had
  less than the required amount of ammo available. No more freezing! Yay!
- Increased damage on EnergyAR (and MP version, proportionally) so that the primary fire is now slightly more efficient
  than the alt. The primary bolts each do 220 (up from 200) damage, while the alt still does 1050. This means that
  five primaries now deal 1100 damage total. I made this change because, in practice, the primary was kinda useless when
  you could just spam the alt. Now, though, they're about equal, and since the primary is technically better, it should
  be used more often. ALt is for when you want to get out a lot of damage right in one instant; primary is better for
  breaking down a hard target.
- Added Blast Bapes item. Put on these shoes and BLAM, every time you jump, an explosion damages everything nearby!
- Fixed Laser Spheres' weird bug! It was caused by them having a low DrawScale and bHidden=True... for some reason.
  I gave them a masked texture instead so you can't see the Gasbag base, just the sphere.
- The ThreeHundrethPawn no longer fires Fun Barrels since the Fun Barrel was updated. It makes them too laggy if they
  shoot like 4 or 5 at once. They still fire their whole huge-ass shitload of other projectiles, though, don't worry.
- Increased OldSearchlight charge from 5000 to 7500.
- Improved FireSlith and FireQueen skins somewhat so they aren't so hideous.
- Changed the Barrel 'o Fun and Barrel 'o Suns so that both fire modes are the same (the alt fire). The non-falling mode
  was always pretty useless, but I DID leave in the OldFunBarrelNade and OldSunBarrelNade weapons which use both fire
  modes if you REEEEEALLY want them.
- Changed SteelBrute, SteelQueen, and SteelSlith to shoot long-range flak instead of those crappy flak grenades.
- Fixed up Giant Turbo Gasbags and Giga Demon Gasbags so that they spawn lesser gasbags every time they attack, making
  them much more dangerous and fun to deal with.
- Added the Flare Gun weapon for SP. This actually allows you to fire your flares like projectiles at long range. The
  primary fire makes them explode on contact, while the alt lets them bounce and explode after a timer. Keep in mind,
  though, that alt flares can be detonated mid-air by projectiles or splash damage like normal flares, so watch out!
- Various fixes to projectiles for coop, solving visual bugs and/or broken functionality.
- Fixed the Juggernaut Cannon's alt fire rocket so it uses a powerful hellblast instead of a weaker MP hellblast.
- Added a very short but forceful ShakeView to FS2-style flak explosions.
- Reduced ShakeView radius on Hyper Flakker so it won't shake coop players' views from all the fuck over the map.
- Increased Ultra Demon Flare damage output from 1000 to 7500. I didn't realize this was so low all along!
- Shrunk Shit Canister collision radius and height so it is closer to the actual size of the mesh. Was 10/5, now is 7/4.
- Fixes for projectiles with damage radii too small to hurt large creatures. This means that things like Clusterfucker
  Rockets and RFPC plasma now can properly hurt stuff like titans and Sky Tentacles! Hooray!
- Increased damage and blast radius for Skaarj Fiends to increase the penalty incurred when telefragging them.
- Made Flak Sky Tentacles rapid-fire; they no longer shoot one huge wall of slow flak. They now have fast long-range flak,
  so watch out.
- Increased Sky Tentacles' ROF by 2x across the board, and some variants have even more, like 4-5-6x.
- Reduced Mass of FlyingSquids so that they don't fall to the ground instantly after attacking you
- Cut Elite Shrapnel Mercenaries' damage by half and fixed their ProjectileSpeed so they are instant-hit-like as they
  should have been.
- Reduced odds of big-ticket item drops from Magic Armor Seeds and Seed Seeds by quite a lot.
- Reduced Flare drops in Seed Seeds from 5 of a kind to 2 of a kind, and reduced the multi-Seed Seed drop to 3 seeds
  instead of 5.

(not everything is even on here yet, either)

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 08:01

DUDE I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
The Extractor sounds sooooo friggin' awesome now, and the Flare gun has been added into SP, and, oh man!! So many new fixes! Wow!
Image Image

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 11:38

ohhh no new difficulty level? D:
ImageImage

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 15:07

There's no new difficulty level ???

Well, not yet, at least. There's been support built in for three post-Unreal-difficulty difficulty levels but none of them are even close to ready yet.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 18:27

so what are the other changes/fixes that you didn't mention? I'm curious.......
Image Image

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 18:30

Just misc. stuff that isn't done yet but should be before the release. The file will be updated with anything important. There's literally thousands of little details that have been fixed or updated that aren't worth mentioning, though.

A big change I didn't (really) mention is that the Shitgun projectiles now can damage large monsters, including the mini shitballs and shit droplets, none of which could before. This makes the Shitgun a hell of a lot more useful even as a lategame weapon against tough monsters.

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 21:13

AHhahahahahaha I am retarded

Code: Select all

State Patroling
{
   function TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn instigatedBy, Vector hitlocation,
                  Vector momentum, name damageType)
   {
      if (InstigatedBy==none || enemy==none)
         return;

Global.TakeDamage(Damage, instigatedBy, hitlocation, momentum, damageType);
      if ( health <= 0 )
         return;
      LastSeenPos = Enemy.Location;
      if (NextState == 'TakeHit')
      {
         NextState = 'Attacking';
         NextLabel = 'Begin';
         GotoState('TakeHit');
      }
      else if ( Enemy != None )
         GotoState('Attacking');
   }
}

Anyone wanna tell me what's wrong with this picture!

[spoiler]While going through my logs and knocking out accessed nones a little while ago, I put this into EXUScriptedPawn to prevent the number of TakeDamage accessed nones I've found in my logs before from Epic's not-very-accessed-none-proof code. Because I suck at code, I didn't really think too hard about what I was doing aside from going, "hey, this could return none! Time to add a check to ensure it doesn't do that!"

Then you get this. If Enemy==none, i.e. the pawn does not have a target, i.e. it hasn't seen you or heard you, then... it won't take any damage! Ignorance is bliss... and invincibility.

The best part is that EVERY PAWN IN EXU would have been affected by this if I hadn't found it while testing \o/[/spoiler]

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 22:51

I know what I'm not going to be when I grow up! :lol: When it comes to coding, I fail!

If I were to guess, though (noob alert!), does this code say that if one enemy is harmed, the rest will attack you?

EDIT: or maybe something else: the health =<0 thingy looks fishy.......
Last edited by shawnd123 on 10 Jul 2010, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 22:54

The spoiler explains it.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 22:56

Waffnuffly wrote:The spoiler explains it.

OH WOW!!! I'm blind! I fail!

So all pawns would be invincible?
Image Image

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 22:59

Anything that was patroling and hadn't detected you would be, yes, at least until it detected you (which wouldnt be long if you were shooting at it). But it's still a bad bug. I picked up on it when sniping at the patroling brutes in Map 8.

Speaking of Map 8, does anyone else think that the Freeze Mercenaries' relentlessness is just stupidly overkill and that I should make it so that they don't keep shooting constantly long after they have lost sight of you? It's starting to seriously piss me off. Map 8 is stupidly hard and I'm adding a lot more health and armor to it so it isn't such a pain in the ass where you have to reload every five minutes.

[Edit] Well, not more health, since you have shitloads of Battle Seeds. But definitely more armor so you don't die in one hit so often.
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 10 Jul 2010, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010, 23:07

Yes, map 8 was pretty tough for me. That was when all of my armor started to go away :(
And I usually reload every minute in that map. :D
Image Image

Previous Next