Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Dispersion Pistol Adventures: Mission Pack Zero (MP0)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Dispersion Pistol Adventures: Mission Pack Zero (MP0)

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008, 23:48

taken from my home site http://www.unrealcoop.net :

Okay.. the project continues. I'm not sure why this website is still up.. but as long as it is i'll post details for the project here

Tronovision wrote: What kind of mapping project is this? Is there a website discussing the details?

If there were a website discussing the details of the project, it would be here. Trono, I think you would be definitly a good recruit for this project (i've seen your work). We can talk more about getting you a spot on the team as a mapper.

Current memberlist:
Pravin "[]Pcube[]" Prabu - project leader/mapper/scripted sequences
Joseph "Jackrabbit" Jacklin - mapper/storyline/possible voice acting

Details:
We are currently working on Caves.unr (could be renamed) which is basically the projects "NyLeve" in terms of Conseptual Grandness. The intro map (unreal's vortex2) is for the most part finished (maybe some minor revising/storyline adjustments).

Pcube and I are both working on Caves.unr sending the map back and forth via MSN. When the map is for the most part finished, we will either split up and work on our own seperate maps, or do another one together. Right now, I think were just trying to develop our skills and unrealEd and really push this project to the max.

If your serious about joining this project.. you are required to have done these things:

1. Played through the entire original "Unreal" series more than 1 time.
2. Have mastered ones Algebra and Geometry skills.
3. Knows how to vertex edit (without causing BSP Cuts!!!)
4. Understands the basics of lighting and have read and finished this tutorial:

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... ing01.html
6. Understands how to add decorations and sounds to a map through the editor.

These roles do not require any prior experience whatsoever:
-Voice Acting
-Texturing
-3d Modeling
-Sound/Audio (edit add)

Please reply to this topic if you want any of these roles and []Pcube[] and I will fully evaluate your skills to see if you fit for the job.
Last edited by jackrabbit on 07 Nov 2008, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Dispersion Pistol Adventures: Mission Pack Zero (MP0)

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 00:57

jackrabbit wrote:These roles do not reqiure any experience whatsoever:
-Voice Acting
-Texturing
-3d Modeling

I don't think so, Tim.

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 02:25

sana wrote:
-Voice Acting
-Texturing
-3d Modeling

I don't think so, Tim.

LOLWUT? okay.. added prior in the mix to make it less wtf

User avatar Lone Wolf
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 11:13

sana wrote:
-Voice Acting
-Texturing
-3d Modeling

I don't think so, Tim.

:lol:

LW
My little corner of the net
www.lone-wolfs-den.com Stop by the farm and see what we are up to.
www.the-farm.lone-wolfs-den.com

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 15:05

So... do you have more details about this project?...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 18:45

In my experience, finding 3D modellers willing to work on UE1 projects is incredibly difficult. We certainly struggled with it on BfNP, possibly more than anything else.

Do you have any pics of this project, or a storyline, an indication of its size, or some explanation for the title?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 19:21

Hellscrag wrote:Do you have any pics of this project, or a storyline, an indication of its size, or some explanation for the title?

exactly.. unrealcoop.net doesn't reveal anything either...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 20:38

The title sounds tempting.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008, 20:49

UBerserker wrote:The title sounds tempting.

lol... I thought you might like it!

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 03:37

Darkon wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Do you have any pics of this project, or a storyline, an indication of its size, or some explanation for the title?

exactly.. unrealcoop.net doesn't reveal anything either...

Oops, sorry for the late reply. As you may or may not know, team DPA made the post to the public as a way to recruit members. For now, only those who are interested in helping develop the project will recieve screenshots and development information about how it will all come together. I'm sure someone will leak screenshots to the public as it goes down the road... but for now all permissions are set to private.

If this upsets anyone, I'm deeply sorry. At random (when the team is ready) will will post details of a public beta test of the new pack to get a much needed feedback. When this will happen? It could be anywhere from < 1 month or even > 5 years.............

so if your interested, email me: [email protected] to recieve more details about the project.

UBerserker wrote:The title sounds tempting.

That would be Dante's fault.

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 05:35

I find it interesting that the roles that require no prior experience are the only ones that aren't working w/ UEd exclusively. Not to discredit level designers but compared to a singular development approach, having working knowledge and artistic ability to compile a single asset with the use of several applications is much more complex. In terms of talent, you get what you pay(ask) for.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 17:58

zYnthetic wrote:I find it interesting that the roles that require no prior experience are the only ones that aren't working w/ UEd exclusively. Not to discredit level designers but compared to a singular development approach, having working knowledge and artistic ability to compile a single asset with the use of several applications is much more complex. In terms of talent, you get what you pay(ask) for.

well, I couldn't agree with you more here.. I think that is definitely true (as seen from some of the recent UT packs). The main reason we are opening these "no prior experience roles" is basically to see what people can come up with when we tell them "we need this somehow" (whether it be Voice Acting clips, certain themed textures, 3D Models *most likely decorations*, and the one that I added at a level of risk: Sound and/or Music. I know that your level of specialty would definitely be sound/musics which requires ALOT of understanding the theme of each map and how each track will fit into that theme. The worst thing about it is that people will undoubtedly argue about whether a track "fits" the theme of the map or not. In that sense, I think the best thing to do would be to take someones random music track (that they carefully worked on and is 100% original material) and base either an entire map or area on it. Because I have been playing in a "Metal" band for over 2 years now and have had lots of prior experience with the high school band (drumline), I think I'm ready to judge whether someones "art" is a sack of .... yeah... or its something that could be used.

It really is a toss up in this "no experience" area when it comes to sounds/music but I think I can make it work for the project if people do contribute their time. The reality of the project is that people that have the "exclusive" Ued roles do in fact have full control of the final product. This means if they make an area in Ued and they want to use external programs, they are 100% entitled to use whatever they want to make their art something really unique. Thats basically all I have to say.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 18:13

....but how can you be interested if you don't even know what you're mapping for, what it's about, theme, etc?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 18:55

Darkon wrote:....but how can you be interested if you don't even know what you're mapping for, what it's about, theme, etc?

Exactly. You have to give people a reason to WANT to work on your project.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008, 19:25

Hellscrag wrote:
Darkon wrote:....but how can you be interested if you don't even know what you're mapping for, what it's about, theme, etc?

Exactly. You have to give people a reason to WANT to work on your project.

As time goes on people will see why they would want to contribute to the project.. I'm just giving people the chance to hop on board now if they want to contribute on a sp/coop based pack for Unreal 1.

Next