UnrealSP.org collaborative challenge!
*may or may not actually become a yearly thing pending the success of this one!
What is this all about then?
You are cordially invited to participate in a collaborative mapping event!
The general idea is that everybody makes their own individual map "segment", at the end of the timeframe all of the segments will be ordered into a full narrative by the curator (SteadZ) who will also build a short beginning and ending map for a complete single player experience.
Unlike previous collaborative efforts, everybody will create their segments in concert from now - 20th November 2020 - until 22nd January 2021.
You can spend as much or as little time as you like as long as you submit before the deadline, but we recommend spending more than 20 minutes on it but maybe not staying up all night every night either(!).
Ok, sounds great.. what's the catch?
There's no... catch as such, however there are a few constraints/rules that each segment should follow to allow the smoothest experience for everybody:
- Map must fit within the space of a 4096^3 cube
- The beginning must be within the top 1024uu
- The end must be within the bottom 1024uu
- The map can be built using any texture set and style, but must have some element which uses the DecayedS texture package, whether major or minor
- Submissions must load and run on Unreal 227i - you can develop on any platform you like as long as this requirement is met!
- Submissions should use the UnrealShare.SinglePlayer gametype and include a playerstart and entry teleporter
- Submissions should have an exit teleporter but it doesn't need to connect to anything
- Ideally any rocks should use the rock textures in the provided package for consistency but we won't make people use them...
- Map filenames should begin with "td" but are otherwise up to artistic license
- Submissions do not need to reference the story or characters, but it is encouraged.
- Inventory should be removed from the player at the end of each submission (a new trigger class "InventoryModifier7" has been included in the custom package for this reason). It is up to the designer to come up with a creative reason for this!
Story - "The Descent"
The premise is as follows:
You were approached by the Do'gradji family with the pleaded request that you rescue their child from a mysterious location known as "The Forbidden Caves". As a highly esteemed mercenary you wouldn't normally accept such a petty job, but one look in their heartbroken eyes told you this was no place for a child - plus the advance deposit is nothing to sniff at!
Information surrounding these enigmatic "Forbidden Caves" is little-to-none, but the Nali are notoriously secretive; what strange and dark secrets could possibly be hiding down there?
The theme of the collaboration is "descent through underground dungeons". Feel free to take that was you will - the more imagination the better!
- The Mercenary - the Player Character. No one really knows who they are and they like it that way.
- The Child - clues about the character and their whereabouts are OK, but they shouldn't actually be found until the end. Who is this child? Are they really a child at all?
- The Cave - Why is it so forbidden? What are the Nali hiding? What is down there
- Oozle and Brad - Two buddies who visited the Nali village for some spelunking a couple weeks back but weren't heard from again. Whatever came of them?
- Doctor E. Sullivan - Someone else who was in the cave for unknown reasons a long time ago. Whoever they were, they are gone now, but they might have left behind logs or other clues.
- Morgan - A name that popped up a few times when researching the cave. Who were/are they? *What* were they?
It is encouraged to add references in your segments to these characters, however it is not necessary by any means!
- Can I make my map comedy/horror/etc?
- Can I make custom content in my map?
Yes, in the MyLevel package of your entry.
- Do I need to have my map set underground
The beginning and end should be, what happens in between is up to you.
- Do I need to use DecayedS for everything?
No only a tiny bit
- Do I need to use Ued2.1? I want to use Ued1!
You can use any tools you like as long as the map loads in 227i
- Can I devlop on 436? 227j? 42069?
Yes as per the above question - map must load in 227i but no other restrictions
- Can I use 227i features such as emitters, static meshes, additive geometry, increased node limit, dyanmic zone infos?
- Can I use *any* tools? Blender? Photoshop? ZBrush? Ableton?
Whatever floats your boat.
- Can I work with a buddy? and Can I submit more than one map?
Only one mapper per entry and one entry per mapper please
- How do we determine the winners?
This is a collaboration celebrating our favorite single player FPS, not a contest. Anyone who submits a map is a winner
- Any stock package from Unreal, Return to Na Pali, or Unreal Tournament can be used aside from UPak & Botpack.
- Any pre-existing custom content package (richrig, etc) can also be used.
- All custom content you create for your map should be in the MyLevel package.
- A package (linked below) will also be provided with utility triggers, some rock textures, and a few other goodies.
You can grab the complementary package here!
Package features listed here:
- Terrain Textures : Some rocks, grass, dirt and transition textures.
- Particle Textures : For fire, smoke/fog and waterfalls.
- AnimatingDecoration : Found under Decoration, you can set this to endlessly loop an animation.
- BaseEvent : Found under Triggers.
- Collider : Found under Triggers, toggles the collision of a specific actor when triggered.
- Destroyer : Found under Triggers, destroys a specified actor and allows you to spawn a fancy effect in its place if you wish.
- FiniteStateMachine : Found under StateMachine.
- ForcedPathNode : Found under PathNode, can be configured to create more refined path networks.
- FSMState : Found underStateMachine, used in combination with FiniteStateMachine.
- Hider : Found under Triggers, used to toggle whether a specified actor is visible.
- InventoryChecker2 : Found under Triggers, used to check the player's inventory for a specific item and then fires its event accordingly.
- InventoryModifier7 : Found under Triggers, can be used to add or remove specific items from the player's inventory, remove the player's entire inventory or clear all inventory from the level.
- PawnEnslaver : Found under Triggers, used to manipulate a specified pawn.
- PostBeginPlayTrigger : Found under Triggers, used to trigger stuff at "postbeginplay" (when the level begins).
- ReferenceTrigger : Found under Triggers, used to call Trigger() directly on an actor and also allows to fire an additional event when triggered.
- Repositioner : Found under Triggers, used to change the position and rotation of an actor.
- StateMachine : Abstract class found under Triggers.
Please also check here for more in depth information about the included custom actor classes.
Please let us know if you intend to participate in this thread, or on the Discord server - or both!
We look forward to seeing what everyone does, you can share progress as you go or keep it a surprise until the submission date - the choice is yours...
First and foremost this should be a fun event to bring the community together and get creative!
Special Thanks to:
- ebd for putting together the package and being a huge help in organising.
- ividyon for getting the ball rolling for this in the first place.