Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Unfinished map chain (now fully public)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Unfinished map chain (now fully public)

Post Posted: 21 May 2008, 15:18

I'm starting a thread as a last resort at starting this.

This is intended to be a chain of levels of maps that are unfinished and probably never will be, the rules:

1. The project will attempt to chain maps into a single map ala the ONP credits (with whatever transition methods are thought up), as opposed to having several maps, but if one is particularly big/unstable then adding more maps is fine, as long as it's not ten maps of single rooms.

2. Although this is supposed to be for unfinished maps, if you have something extra (or custom-created for this) you want to throw in then so be it.

3. Custom content is fine, although it should be mylevel'd (although if a lot of a particular thing is used it may be added separately). However, each segment must support ordinary Unreal Singleplayer gameplay. It is a UT project, of course designing in U1 shouldn't matter unless there is lots of mod content.

4. There are no quality/size/content limits, as long it's not completely broken technically.

5. Each segment must have something saying who made it and a small name made up for that section (for reference purposes), how you do this is up to your discretion (and ego). Whether you include a way to link to the next/previous segment or not is up to you, as that can always be sorted later.

6. As long as it's minor changes (such as optimisation), people are free to tweak stuff in things already added to the map(s). I'll do any final tweaks if there's anything that sticks out.

7. The first area provides a Flashlight and Translator, what you wish to add is up to you; if things go wrong the gameplay can always be tweaked towards the end.

8. If you want to contribute, just download the file linked here and go to work, the end for this project will depend on the reception for it.

For upload purposes Yousendit is probably the simplest; it supports up to 100MB of files, and supports up to 100 downloads or 7 days of no downloads, which should be more than enough: http://www.yousendit.com

After you have done your segment just post the link your uploaded file (if you want to use another service ensuring it works is up to you). The OP will then be updated (with separate links if need be).

USP Map Chain version 1 download:

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... QUpFQlE9PQ
Last edited by Semfry on 22 Aug 2008, 17:25, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008, 18:25

Any news on this...?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008, 20:00

You tell me :P .

Guess I'll make the map public around tommorow if nothing happens.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008, 20:30

I'll make the next map.. just tell me what you need..

make this project public it will get alot more NEEDED response. (its also good for the community)

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008, 22:07

jackrabbit wrote:I'll make the next map.. just tell me what you need..

make this project public it will get alot more NEEDED response. (its also good for the community)

what do you mean with making it public? After each map? I think it would be a good idea actually.. maybe giving some comments on it, so that the mapper will make some changes.....(just suggestion)

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008, 22:29

Darkon wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:I'll make the next map.. just tell me what you need..

what do you mean with making it public? After each map? I think it would be a good idea actually.. maybe giving some comments on it, so that the mapper will make some changes.....(just suggestion)

yeah thats what I mean :tup:

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 03:19

I didn't want it public at first as I was preparing for a big response, which would make a public version a big clusterfuck as I thought I might have to bring together about ten disparate sections with their own quirks, while one at a time would allow it to be more organised. Since that doesn't seem to be happening it's now public, and I've updated the OP a bit, hopefully it can be got off the ground this time.

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 03:53

I'm willing to contribute to this - I've got a few "broken up" maps in my folder demanding a new life. :o

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 05:08

As I said in the old thread, I will contribute boss fight content. Assuming it gets off the ground, that is.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 14:32

Mister_Prophet wrote:Assuming it gets off the ground, that is.

that's what we all hope for.
I think it will.. since it's public now. People will come to this thread now more often to see if there's an update. (otherwise they would have to wait.. and wait.. and people won't jump in.. and it just dies)

downloading map.. am curious! 8) :tup:

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 14:44

I just realised I'm not sure whether I checked what custom packages I used; hopefully there won't be issues with that.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 16:51

Mman wrote:I just realised I'm not sure whether I checked what custom packages I used; hopefully there won't be issues with that.

Everything worked fine..
btw: short map :D

BTW: Do you guys want to map with "unreal 1 low poly mapping style"? (neutral question)
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

--------------------------------------------------
>:E

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 17:11

I can help with UScript if anyone need something new.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Semfry

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 17:21

Creavion wrote:BTW: Do you guys want to map with "unreal 1 low poly mapping style"? (neutral question)

This map(s) is supposed to be based on unfinished stuff anyway, so the style should entirely depend on the mapper.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 17:25

Mman wrote:
Creavion wrote:BTW: Do you guys want to map with "unreal 1 low poly mapping style"? (neutral question)

This map(s) is supposed to be based on unfinished stuff anyway, so the style should entirely depend on the mapper.

I'm still a bit confused... do I add my unfinished map to USP-MapChain1 ?

or am I supposed to take the room you made and add things into that?

Next