Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 08:21

Mister_Prophet wrote:I actually had no HOMs or other BSP bugs when rebuilding and making the area, though I built the whole room in pretty much one shot without testing until it was done. I have UED 2.0 set to default sliders and parameters on my laptop, so I couldn't say for sure what's happening. Does anyone else have this problem when they rebuild? It looked fine when I did my last playthrough and uploaded. All in all it was a stable week for me.

If anyone can reproduce Sat's issue please post.

Sat42 wrote:- I want to rebuild to make those pillars in my section semi-solid, and also to adjust the new zoneinfo in my section to be a fogzone, at the moment it isn't (unlike the old one which got deleted) and part of the "materialising" effect in the teleporter room is lost.

This is my fault,. As mentioned in the commentary I saw two zoneinfos in the same zone, so I chose one randomly to delete. If you set the info to Fog=true the effect should work again, correct?

Yes, setting the info to Fog=true makes the effect work again no prob, the only reason why I'm refraining from saving the file after a rebuild for now is that it comes at the cost of nasty HOMs in the Demon's Grave.
Semfry wrote:I just played through the current version and the first room has some issues with invisible walls around the pillars and BSP issues from certain views, so it does have a few issues even if they're pretty subtle in the download one.

Yes, those invisible walls/BSP issues are the other motivation for a rebuild; after setting the pillars to semisolid, they go away if you rebuild all in UED2.1, and if you rebuild geometry then lighting separately in UED2.0 (rebuild all in UED2.0 with those pillars set to semisolid and you have a massive HOM in the room for some reason).

OK made a new test, then I have to work:
Rebuilding all in UED2.1 definitely results in HOMs in the Demon's Grave, I now think the issue is that "slowing down" zone in mid-air, with invisible boundaries; getting rid of that makes the rebuild perfect in every way... of course, at the cost of systematically dying when jumping down there! So I won't save a rebuild for now.
Need feedback from SteadZ first.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 09:03

Just now noticed that my timeline will be March 24th - April 2nd.
Could I be bumped up a week (switch with UB) or sent to last of the list, please? I'll have a short school break after April 1st and would really like to make it then. :oops:
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 09:14

I'll be only available in the final March / first April week. Too much busy and I need to finish up stuff with G59 first.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 09:33

UnrealGecko wrote:Just now noticed that my timeline will be March 24th - April 2nd.
Could I be bumped up a week (switch with UB) or sent to last of the list, please? I'll have a short school break after April 1st and would really like to make it then. :oops:

UBerserker wrote:I'll be only available in the final March / first April week. Too much busy and I need to finish up stuff with G59 first.

Well, SteadZ will have the entire day of the 25th for himself, so I guess a few days break between the 25th of March and the last week-end of the month (basically three days) won't hurt. Might get around to fixing some bugs that way.
UB, would it be OK for you to have your week from Sunday the 29th of March to April the 5th? UnrealGecko could then come next for the second week of April.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 09:36

Sat42 wrote:UB, would it be OK for you to have your week from Sunday the 29th of March to April the 5th?

Yes, thanks!
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 09:48

Excellent!
UnrealGecko, your turn will be during the second week of April (roughly from the 5th to the 12th) :)

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 15:00

Sat42 wrote:Excellent!
UnrealGecko, your turn will be during the second week of April (roughly from the 5th to the 12th) :)

Perfect! Thanks guys! \o/
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 15:10

Sat42 wrote:OK made a new test, then I have to work:
Rebuilding all in UED2.1 definitely results in HOMs in the Demon's Grave, I now think the issue is that "slowing down" zone in mid-air, with invisible boundaries; getting rid of that makes the rebuild perfect in every way... of course, at the cost of systematically dying when jumping down there! So I won't save a rebuild for now.
Need feedback from SteadZ first.

Try ordering that zone to "last", that might fix it. I just did that and rebuilt the level and don't seem to get any BSP issues there. Then again it seems that rebuilding results can vary heavily between systems.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 16:42

That's odd that the "slow" zone is doing this. I was going to forgo a zone there completely and use intropolation points kind of like the Source Antechamber but I thought it would be more dramatic if players jumped and had that moment of "omg I'm gonna die" on the way down.

To be honest it was a temporary addition anyway because I didn't want to waste too much time worrying about how the player can get down there in one piece. Originally I was gonna do a pool of goop that breaks your fall but I didn't have time.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 20:58

Updated the OP, including up-to-date download link to the project's archive file (I added Mister_Prophet's commentary to the project's readme).
This means I successfully managed to rebuild the map with all aforementioned issues gone!!

Semfry wrote:Try ordering that zone to "last", that might fix it. I just did that and rebuilt the level and don't seem to get any BSP issues there. Then again it seems that rebuilding results can vary heavily between systems.

Thanks for the tip, Semfry! I messed around with that build ordering and now the BSP issues are indeed resolved :)

Mister_Prophet wrote:That's odd that the "slow" zone is doing this. I was going to forgo a zone there completely and use intropolation points kind of like the Source Antechamber but I thought it would be more dramatic if players jumped and had that moment of "omg I'm gonna die" on the way down.

To be honest it was a temporary addition anyway because I didn't want to waste too much time worrying about how the player can get down there in one piece. Originally I was gonna do a pool of goop that breaks your fall but I didn't have time.

Yeah I could tell that this "slow" zone is a temporary, "placeholder" addition, as it's not reliable (I die once out of twice when I jump down!).
BTW thanks for the zone lighting in the first area, it is an improvement :)

PS: SteadZ, could you please use the map file in the updated archive for your work? now that I've fixed the pillars in my segment and stuff :P (if you've already started with the .unr that Prophet uploaded, you can always copy and paste what you did into the updated .unr which you can download in the OP)

EDIT: Mister_Prophet, do you have a good estimation for the amount of hours you spent on your section?

EDIT 2: fixed the running order for participants in the OP.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015, 00:02

Sat42 wrote:
EDIT: Mister_Prophet, do you have a good estimation for the amount of hours you spent on your section?

Maybe five actual hours, though as the commentary states there were long stretches some of those days where I was heavily distracted and happened to have Ed open. My measurement was limited to tracking nodes.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015, 00:47

No problemo Sat!

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015, 10:23

SteadZ wrote:No problemo Sat!

:tup: :)

Mister_Prophet wrote:
Sat42 wrote:

Maybe five actual hours, though as the commentary states there were long stretches some of those days where I was heavily distracted and happened to have Ed open. My measurement was limited to tracking nodes.

:shock: You... you made all that in about 5 actual hours? even if you drew inspiration from those long moments of "contemplation", that's very impressive!
Well I guess that just shows how experience can go a long way! *looks at the amount of time it took him to do his section* :P
Info will feature in the ReadMe's "Construction: Build Time" (with the remark about long stretches of distraction!) for the next OP update.

User avatar SkaarjSniper
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015, 19:49

Good work guys, had a chance last night to load up the latest work in my 227 install and it seems to already have alot of character between sections. I'm getting an "Alice in Wonderland" vibe from this one especially considering the whole drop into darkness thing. :tup:

Thematically the map really is a mess, but I have a feeling that might be the same thing that's going for it.

EDIT:

On second thought, I might have a small story contribution that you guys may be interested in:

"A former military solider is excommunicated by society for a crime that he was framed for and is forced to withstand a set of challenges by means of a live broadcasting TV show game for all to watch publicly. If the solider can withstand these sets of challenges against the most horrid alien creatures caught and cadged from the planet Na Pali, he will then be sent free on the planet Na Pali to roam wild as a reward."

This plot loosely follows the same from the movie "The Running Man" feat. Arnold Schwarzenegger as the main protagonist.
Last edited by SkaarjSniper on 19 Mar 2015, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015, 20:06

Good to hear your impressions, SkaarjSniper! Thanks for the feedback :)

EDIT: I'm in the process of editing given your edit!

EDIT 2: Thanks for coming up with a story suggestion! Your idea could work, I'll bear it in mind for later on - and I'm also gonna have to watch The Running Man now :wink:
By the way, Mister_Prophet also proposed the contours for an overall story arc in his commentary, which you can find in the ReadMe.
Naturally, we'll see how the process continues to evolve before making a decision on that matter.
I'm glad the map's giving you an "Alice in Wonderland" vibe, and that the thematic mess is felt as being the same thing that's going for it :)

Previous Next