Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[UT] The place named "PHASE TWO" [CANCELLED]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [UT] The place named "PHASE TWO"

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 00:16

Love the marble lobby room thing

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [UT] The place named "PHASE TWO"

Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013, 18:16

That marble lobby-ish room actually looks really awesome.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [UT] The place named "PHASE TWO" [CANCELLED]

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013, 23:10

There was once a place called PHASE TWO...
Unfortunately, this is what happens when a two month-old new HDD suddenly stops being detected by the BIOS and data recover from it is impossible. Even worse, no backups (at least G59 is safe).

Sadly, this project is cancelled and I don't have anything else to say. Sorry guys :(
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013, 23:43

If it's just not being detected couldn't that mean it's not actually completely broke?
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013, 23:59

I'm really not an expert on how HDDs perform, but it looks all dandy and well (it spins normally) except the fact that it cannot be accessed anymore and no data recovery program works. No click noise, no visible damage (PCB is totally ok), nothing.
No hope unless I spend shittons of money to professionals.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 00:32

Have you tried it on another computer?
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 00:35

Yes, with different cables too. It's basically a brick now.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 01:57

Well, that doesn't sound so good. Still if it's not 100% confirmed to be bricked yet it might be worth keeping around in case it suddenly decides to work or something.
Formerly Mman

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 02:34

UBerserker wrote:I'm really not an expert on how HDDs perform, but it looks all dandy and well (it spins normally) except the fact that it cannot be accessed anymore and no data recovery program works. No click noise, no visible damage (PCB is totally ok), nothing.
No hope unless I spend shittons of money to professionals.
have you tried partition magic? if that don't work, you can get another of the exact same hard drive, and swap the PC boards. if it had bad mechanicals, you should still be able to see the drive, so that points to a bad PC board, which would prevent all access. also, you didn't archive it to a filehost somewhere??

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 07:41

Well, here's to Dropbox. The entire dev stuff I have is uploaded there, to either shared or completely private folders. Will I lose anything of importance should the HDD fail? Um... nope. Just my pride.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 08:57

So, your disk is not detected by BIOS, right? Computer behaves like there is no actual hardware plugged in and does not detect any device, correct?

Most probably, disk surface is absolutely OK and the failure is in PCB or some tiny chip on it. There must be some companies who can restore the data from your disk, but if they are professionals it'll be rather expensive. As a cheaper option, try to find local electronics/computer repair shops and give them your HDD. I have such guys in my town, they aren't professionals by any means and they always warn customers that they don't give any warranty for repairs, but often they succeed.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 16:56

Backups my man. Get a flash drive or something. You never know what tomfoolery can ruin hours, maybe weeks of work.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 17:01

I can't imagine that this is anything but dumb luck, but occasionally I've had success with SATA/IDE to USB adapters when some hard drives went bad and weren't otherwise recognized. It might be worthwhile to try one of those. Damn shame that this happened, though. :(

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 17:36

I know what it feels like to lose stuff to the editor... but to lose a whole load of HDD... I'm sorry :(
Shame about the project- hope it can be recovered.
SZ

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 17:38

Mister_Prophet wrote:Backups my man. Get a flash drive or something. You never know what tomfoolery can ruin hours, maybe weeks of work.

Yeah I'm not going to repeat the mistake. Now that I know that Hard Disks suddenly get fucked from the inside (it's literally hopeless for this 2TB ST2000DM001, something from the inside got blown up) it's time to save stuff everywhere. And I can't resort to expensive options right now.

It's not worth it anyway. Basically, this map was the only important file of the ones I've lost (because much of the rest was saved elsewhere or it's just easy to get back). And the map itself was approximately 10% complete - obsolete status - and the concept based on it was fairly complex that I wonder if I ever found a way to make it decent without it being a super linear adventure.

At least I do know now that shiny hotel-wannabe environments can look good in UE1 :p And maybe I learnt enough things that may be useful in G59 or mapping in general.

Thanks still for the support guys! Maybe next time...

Previous