Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Work in Progress - The WIP Thread

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Uncle_Bob
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2008, 13:11

This is my first real attempt at a single player map. Actually its two maps, the third screenshot is from the second one. It will be a mini map pack if i ever finish it. I have progress quite a bit with it though and both maps are shaping up to be quite large. This is far better than my Asylum attempt on the old forum.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2008, 14:32

Antalius pic looks great! :tup:

Edit: UncleBob's work looks nice as well! :tup:
Last edited by Darkon on 24 Mar 2008, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2008, 15:42

Whatever, rather this is the ... 3rd version of it. The first version - I think you know it all - was this:

The second version (Example: http://www.cybergen.hu/?q=node/2442) which had to be stopped (?) because of heavy problems with the render and the LOD MESHES was that version with the many many many meshes (didn`t run very well :? )

the 3rd version (which will be playable in the ut99.org community mappack) will be semi-oldskool.. so somewhere between the first and the second version.

nix
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2008, 18:04

found this in my unfinished maps folder, decided to finish it;

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2008, 18:22

What a lot of weird and wonderful stuff!

Uncle_Bob, those pics seem to be a quantum leap ahead of your earlier work. Theme looks UT-ish. What sort of SP experience are we talking about here? :o
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Uncle_Bob
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008, 22:40

Hellscrag wrote:What a lot of weird and wonderful stuff!

Uncle_Bob, those pics seem to be a quantum leap ahead of your earlier work. Theme looks UT-ish. What sort of SP experience are we talking about here? :o

Aaarrgghh I just did my usual trick of writing out a long reply and then losing it all due to the browser playing tricks on my by logging my out. Sorry about that. I'll try and recount a breifer version for you.

The name of my mini campaign is "The Arcturus Incident" and atm consists of two maps.

The first map is a large futurstic city map and the second will take you from a train station to below the city into its network of cavanous sewers. I am aiming for a lot of explorability in these maps although the second will be more straight foreward.

The plot revolves around Prisoner 849 after she is rescued from her second escape from Na Pali in the expansion pack. She is taken to the planet Arcturus, a remote but thriving human colony. Her stories of Na Pali and the Skaarj turn her into a celebrity figure. The skaarj get wind of this are able to locate her and infiltrate the planet to launch an invasion/revenge assassination. There is alot more detail to the plot but I don't want to give too much away. I'm assuming Prisoner 849 is female for plot purposes as I've read the character originally in Unreal was meant to be female so I'm sticking with that.

I have ideas for two more maps after that including a garbage dumping wasteland and a huge millitary base but these will probably have to wait for a sequel or I might not get any of it released.

I hope this answers your question, I'll announce this project offically when I have some more complete and some lighting done. Thanks for the interest and sorry for losing my other responce!

Edit: Heres some more screenshots.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008, 00:08

Sounds interesting! I'll await your official announcement before posting news.

EDIT: That lounge type area with all its custom textures in the last pic is interesting. The Starship.utx light is a bit out of place and obvious, though; maybe the striplight from City / Slums (I forget exactly which) would be more appropriate?

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008, 13:42

Now those last two pics look familiar again! :P :tup:
Nice work.. am looking forward to the result!
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008, 21:20

I agree. Really a new kind of textures that I have never seen before.

Although I really want to see the first two shots with normal lighting; big potential here.
ImageImage

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:46

Those shots look very interesting. Good use of some of the Deus Ex textures i've noticed (only cos I've been using some in Amnesiac). Look forward to this one.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008, 00:55

Oh, are the Deus Ex textures? I didn't recognise them in the presence of actual lighting! :P

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 01:43

Those HK textures from Deus Ex look pretty good there. :tup: Also, for a first-time SP pack, those shots look fantastic.
You must have made some other stuff before this. :)

Anyway, here's some recently-added effects to the latest EXU2 map.
Slowly working my way to making some of the most demonic environments possible.
It always makes me laugh how good the Unreal engine is for making this kind of stuff.

Something special happens with the Demon Skaarj Master in the third shot, too. ;)

In other news, "killall inventory" is great for taking screenshots, since it removes crosshairs.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 18:14

Impressive effects, Waff.

Waffnuffly wrote:Image

In Unreal this scene worked so well because of the contrast between the orange of the stone and the torches with the green of the trees and the water.

I know that "nice" isn't what you're going for (obviously), but I think you should change those pillars to a much darker texture (maybe one of the dark blue ones, which should look grey in this light).

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 20:09

Good idea. I basically just replaced ALL the orange/blue/green "base" textures from Ancient.utx with my one single grayscale version for EXU. If it looks too bright, that's probably why.

However, I haven't added the "corruption" effects to these pillars yet, which I'm going to do today. I'll put up another screen when that's done; it will basically be like the little glowing glyphs in Screenshot 4, but with scorch mark decals and other things. If it looks like ass, though, I'll just slap on some darker textures.

[Edit] Here--how's this:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008, 19:07

Massively hellish. How's the framerate?

Also, are the blood pools dangerous this time with all of those flames?
I'm looking forward to its release.
ImageImage

Previous Next